iPad I feel bad for people who are going to buy the iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by definitive, Oct 22, 2013.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

While browsing through the Apple store, and thinking they're getting a deal by buying a $100 cheaper model... Was it really that difficult to sell the iPad 4 at $100 less than the Air?

Even the unaware iPhone 5c buyers aren't getting ripped off as badly as the iPad 2 buyers... At least they'll have a bit newer hardware...

2. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Buying the ipad 2 or original ipad mini are complete wastes of money.

3. Altis macrumors 68020

At this point, yeah, pretty much. Could have had a 2 ages ago for the same money. Retina mini makes so much more sense than the 2.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Wow, a bit overly dramatic. Setting $300 on fire is a complete waste of money.

If you bought one of those two iPads, you'd have an iPad.

5. OSMac macrumors 65816

I can just see people being pushed into the 2 when others are low on stock.

Apple can do better, should have dropped it.

6. Macalway macrumors 68000

Ipad 2 is for suckers and mentally challenged people

(Which is probably a decent amount of Apple's business :) )

7. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

iPad 2 should have been dropped and the iPad 4 entry level price would have been better.

Also, the Mini at just $30 off its original retail is a rip!

8. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

iPad 2 now has incredible profit margins so it's good Apple continues selling it to boost the share price. People will still buy it for sure. It's an iPad - that's all most consumers care about.

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

The reason we all say its a rip off is because we care more then the average Joe. The average Joe cares more about he saved $100 then that he has the old dock connector or a worse display. I agree something from 2011 should not be still being sold. They should have at least upgraded the dock connector and put in an A6.

10. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Definitely considering I bought a mini for 300 months ago. At least other stores will lower the price even more

11. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised that Apple still wants to have an iPad with the old 30-pin connector. Now they still have iPad 2 thrashing about with...what... the iPod Classic? From a peripherals point of view, I'm surprised this makes sense.

12. Poisonivy326 macrumors 6502

Actually I know some schools and businesses where the entire staff gets a complimentary iPad 2. I think it's mostly being kept on the market for that reason.

13. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

One more thing...

As an original iPad owner, I felt that my iPad depreciated in useful value very quickly. These days I can use it to check email and as a eBook reader (both functions which I'm glad to have). However, most complex modern websites crash Safari. Many apps do not run stably. Somewhere in 2012 (about 2 years after my purchase) I stopped thinking of my iPad as a fully functional device.

But on the other hand, here we have iPad 2, introduced less than a year after original iPad went on sale, still being sold as a new device. And for $300! I just cannot wrap my brain around this idea.

Forbes has an interesting take on the Apple's strategy here.

14. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The education market orders a lot of iPad 2's. They're also a hot seller for students, and people looking to save a buck. Personally, I think the iPad 2 is fine. It still works with almost everything, and the A5 has proven to hold up pretty well. As of today, apple is still selling 4 iOS devices with it. iPad Mini, iPad 2, iPod Touch and iPhone 4S.

Would I recommend getting an iPad 2? Likely not. Depends on ones financial situation and their priorities. But for most people I'd recommend getting the latest.

15. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Having an iPhone and a computer, any iPad is a complete waste of money.

16. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Why would anyone in their right mind buy something over 2 years old only to skimp out on $100?

Personally, I don't feel bad. These type of people make the decision to get the cheaper stuff, let them deal with the buyer's remorse when they realize they bought something that's been on the market for over 2 years.

Apple is probably just using the iPad 2 to lure people into the stores then upselling them into getting the iPad Air.

17. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

I feel bad for anyone who buys any of the current iPads. They'll have a brand new one come out in 6months or less with a finger print sensor probably. Last iPad I bought(and ever will buy) was the 3 which got replaced by the 4 in no time.

18. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Only one iPad was released within 6 months of the previous model.

Calm down.

19. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

bc most people don't know and they don't care. They don't see a difference in the screen being worth $100. You could go on and on....people who have iPad's with cellular could say the wifi only is a waste. Same goes for people with 128gb iPad's to one's with 16gb's......

it's great to have options

20. mantan macrumors 68000

And I'm sure they sell a lot to schools and businesses. If you're looking to buy a lot of units and don't need the latest and greatest....every dollar counts. If your school district was going to buy 5,000 iPads...I'm sure the money saved from an iPad 2 means a lot more than having a Retina screen.

21. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Exactly. As someone who orders machines for a business it does add up.

5,000 iPad 2s. $1,995,000

5,000 iPad Airs. $2,495,000

$500,000 isn't exactly chump change for most businesses. Especially for something that's primary purpose is for email, web browsing and proprietary company apps. Maybe some personal things depending on the company and policy.

22. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

Exactly - it's today's version of the eMac.

23. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

BY-and-large, they'll be purchased by retailers wishing to use them as a register or FAQ kiosk. They wouldn't need the extra CPU and PPI and can save $100.

24. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I'll definitely replace my iPad 2 with another one if it breaks down before my B&O A3 does. I love the sound of it but it has the older 30 pin connector.

25. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I feel sort of duped by the iPads. Anyone who got the iPad 2 got a great deal. Seeing as they are still being sold in 2014/2015 its likely they will get IOS 8/9? The iPad one and three owners got screwed. iPad Air/Retina owners will get screwed in 6 months when apple "revolutionizes" everything by shoving an fingerprint scanner in. The iPad update cycle is not constant enough for me to make such a big investment.