I feel cheated out! where's Blue Ray? or HD movie downloads, trailers SUCK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darrellishere, Oct 23, 2008.

1. darrellishere macrumors 6502

So I've been a big HD fan for years now, patiently watching film trailers downloaded form apple.com/trailers!

But I feel like it should be a reality now on my new macbook Pro!

Blue Ray - Apple ? HD Film Downloads!!!

Other companies have no problem licensing and including them in budget p.c. now, so why ow why, why!!!! :rolleyes:

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

agreed.... also the new MBP screen is only 1440 x 900 so viewing 1080p video would be useless.

4. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

Well, Apple say they have licensing issues. Even if this is true, they might want to wait until the drives are cheap enough (for them) to include in laptops. I agree it sucks that there isn't Blu-ray support yet, and I hope it isn't just because Apple wants to encourage the small proportion of people who are capable and willing to use their iTunes HD downloads instead.

No.

a) If you have a shelf full of Blu-ray discs you want to watch without buying the DVD or downloading the film again the resolution is not the issue.

b) 1440 x 900 is still better than DVD anyway, so BD discs would look better even if you weren't getting the full benefit.

5. r88my macrumors regular

Would you really want to watch HD on such a small screen? A 40 inch Bravia I can understand...

6. Alchematron macrumors 6502a

Alchematron

Has anyone actually seen a blu-ray movie on a pc to compare?

Apple = Think Different? :confused:

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Does anyone even make a slot-loading BR burner that'd fit inside of a MacBook/Pro?

8. r88my macrumors regular

Do you mean blu-ray burner?

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

:eek::eek: fixed (thanks)

10. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

You might typically be sitting a lot further away from a 40 inch TV than a 15 or 17 inch MacBook Pro, so it kind of evens it out a bit. Bear in mind that if you had a 1080p 40 inch TV, that is going to have much larger physical pixels than a 17 inch 1920x1200 MacBook Pro would do. It's all about viewing distances - if you're sat further away, the resolution matters less because your eyes can't distinguish the pixels so easily.

Like I said though, regardless of resolution you might just want to play titles you own. So the question isn't really one of 'would you want to watch HD on a small screen' but 'wouldn't you want to be able to watch those movies you just spent money on'.

11. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Who cheated you? If these things were important to you, why wouldn't you check to see if it would be capable BEFORE you bought it?

That said, 1080p content does look pretty great on a capable laptop. My work machine is a Dell D830 with a 15.4" 1920x1200 display. While I don't have the BD drive, I have pulled down 1080p content (including some trailers from Apple) and they do look fantastic. 1080p on a laptop display isn't overkill, which was my assumption before seeing it for myself.

This, along with a few other things has me sitting on the sidelines instead of ordering the new MBP. I'm not here to gripe (unlike many others). I'll just wait it out and vote "NO" with my $$'s for right now.

12. MVApple macrumors 6502a

My recommendation is to buy an external drive and use windows.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That resolution is slightly better than my 720p HDTV. Fail.

14. sk47 macrumors member

You speak as if apple is strictly catering to your needs. They couldn't give a rat's ass about it... They go by their own schedule, they'll still get more than enough sales, and then some.

15. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

This thread covers my only 2 gripes with the MBP. No Blu-ray, and no higher-res screen on the 15.4".

It sucks.

16. itcomic macrumors member

Why ? Because of 2 words. STEVE JOBS.
    With a complete new design, touchpad gimmick, all we need are minor hardware improvement and the apple fans will buy our products, as long as our marketing is good. We want to broaden our notebook market shares by attracting more customers with our new design and ignore the Matte screen minority (profits from selling Matte notebook is unable to compensate the cost of production). Minor hardware upgrade and selling with above competitve market price, our profit is nearly double of other competitors for every notebook we sold.

Major Apple shareholders: our dividend at year end just increase by 400% from last year thanks to all the apple fans and suckers who buy our products every year with only minor improvement or revision. Jobs DID a great job, he deserves a huge bonus.

17. darrellishere thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all you're reply's. My first post LOL

Luckily Amex announced an external Blu Ray Reader and Burner, about the same size as the Macbook airs superdrive for the mac.

Not an internal drive, at least I'll be able to go and buy a bloody Blu Ray :)

18. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Saying "why would you want to watch HD on a 1440x900 screen is useless" makes no sense at all. Did you guys forget that HD has much better quality than DVDs, even if downscaled to 1440x900? Also, are you guys forgetting about the displayport?

Apple should have pushed to get themselves on the BR-bandwagon, but it seems like they have been getting lazy as of late.

19. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

But you still won't be able to watch Blu-ray Disc movies with it, unless you boot into windows.

20. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I think Steve is right on this issue. There's a lot of baggage that comes with Blu-ray Discs, principally HDCP compliance. That will add overhead to OS X. Also, does anyone know if Apple's implementation of DisplayPort can carry audio? It's in the spec, but I don't know if Apple has wired it to do so. This was one advantage of HDMI interface.

21. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Yeah... all the DRM and HDCP crap makes it troublesome. Restrictions suck.

22. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Yes, restrictions suck, but DVDs required a licensed decoder and Apple decided to add that in.

The sad reality is this: When a format has gained acceptance over its' competitors, companies need to fall through and support that format. Apple is not excluded from this process.

Im sure that even toshiba will soon be preparing laptops with blue-ray drives, but it seems like it will be a long way off for us apple users.

23. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

who ***** cares?

You people seriously use your laptops to watch movies all that often? I don't want a laptop that's bulkier or more expensive solely so I can watch some hi-def movie. That's a what a frickin' TV is for.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes. I don't even own a TV, but still watch DVDs and HD TV shows without one. Bring my external display into the mix and I can also enjoy HD movies and games via my Xbox, all without a TV.

25. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The baggage with Blu-ray Discs is far worse than DVDs. Each BD has its own decryption code and HDCP info. DVDs do not have these. Blu-ray is a pain in the @$$ for computer users at the moment.