I feel like most of the features we want..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nicknicknickh, Sep 6, 2012.

1. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

It seems that most of the features we want or would really make the device stand out are going to be in the iphone 5S or whatever comes after the Iphone 5.

earSmart technology for example would be quite nice but will probably be in the next one. Same with NFC, and a finger scanner possibly considering they dropped 60million on a company which specializes on making small fingerprint scanners.

A better camera, higher resolution, different design.

I'm sure there are about 10 other major features which they could put in this phone but they will probably put in the next one.

Notice how this phone has hype but less hype to die hard apple fans. Some people who have been Apple 100% for the last 10 years are considering Android.

I'm going to get this phone, but I wish I had the patience for the next one which I truly believe will be a marvelous phone and quite a step forward from the current 4S and whats rumored about the 5.

----------

Anyone else got features which where rumored for this phone but turns out probably wont?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

There will always be a "next one" no matter how long you wait. What you want today will be there tomorrow. What you want tomorrow will be there the day after and so on.

3. troop231 macrumors 603

This ^^ If everyone wanted to 'just wait' for the next version of something, we would never buy anything! Technology is out of date the moment you buy it.

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I hope the generation after this upcoming has something huge as that is the next iPhone that I'll be able to upgrade to. ;) But as someone said, something greater is always around the corner.

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I'd rather wait for the technology until Apple feels it's acceptable to put in the device. Apple may be 1/2 step behind for some newer features but at least when they take their step it's more sure-footed.

6. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Absurd and incorrect.

7. troop231 macrumors 603

No, not really.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, of course, that's expected as Apple never puts all their eggs in one basket. iPhone 5 to iPhone 5S will most likely be like iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS.

9. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

True and correct.

The moment you buy technology (phones, laptops, etc.) there is always something that comes weeks or months later that has a "new" piece of tech in it.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

At least the newest iPhone will be the only flagship iPhone model for the entire year, unlike flagship Androids that lose their title after a few months.

11. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I'm waiting for the next one...since 07. I think I'm done with apple.

12. AlexJaye macrumors regular

And this is the problem. :rolleyes:

13. troop231 macrumors 603

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Agreed. Even if they're late to the show, the iPhone almost always has the best overall execution.

15. zhandri macrumors 6502

yeah it kinda feels like we are going to get a little disappointed... 3 years ago apple would have never missed out on the all the new technology now they just seem to bring some real old stuff. if they put another A5 in the iphone 5 in 6 months almost all the new phones on the market will outperform the iphone

16. AFDoc macrumors 68030

If they implemented every "new" tech in their phones you would be here whining about how the battery dies too fast or x item doesn't work 100%. Don't like iPhone get another device.

17. zhandri macrumors 6502

i will get the iphone. i'm just saying that the s3 most likely will still have better hardware than the iphone 5 although it was released like 3 or 4 months ago.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I say there's a 70% chance the European S3 will still have better specs than the iPhone 5. That being said, the S3 is hindered by a few things.

1) Touchwiz Launcher
    2) LTE battery Drain (US version)
    3) The slightly less impressive screen

19. Indy21 macrumors 6502

So true. There will ALWAYS be something about something that people are not fully satisfied with.

20. AFDoc macrumors 68030

How many threads need to be made before people believe that it's not all about the hardware. It's how the OS functions with that hardware. A phone can have a 5 gig cpu and 20 gigs of ram but if the OS is crap, what good is it. If battery life is crap what good is all the "cutting edge" hardware? I have an S3 and it's nice but if I use it like I use my 4s it won't last the day. OS has a bit to be desired when compared to iOS (IMHO). Plus who cares what phone has what hardware, if the phone meets your needs it's the best phone for you.

21. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Question...do you have a S3? If so, then you'd know that what you say "hinder" it don't at all.

1) Change the launcher. Easy. Personally I recommend either Apex or Nova, but there are tons of different ones out there.

2) I've never seen any more significant battery drain on LTE than when I'm on "faux" G. That's just my experience, though. Oh, and the new iPhone will most likely have LTE, so at best its about to become a push.

3) I've got the 4S and the S3. I much prefer the S3 screen, but that's a personal preference to each user. Both are great.

22. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Well, we have options. If you want to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology, go buy this week's latest Android such-and-such device.

Just know that:
    1. It will be one-upped by the middle of next week and you'll no longer be on that "bleeding edge"

2. Don't expect the technology to be fully implemented, fully functional, or 100% reliable.

3. Apple will have it in the next iteration of the iPhone (whatever it may be) and it will work.

I work in the technology industry. I have the option to be hands-on with most all of the latest technology in one way, shape, or form. I've been there. I live it day in and day out in my field.

For some people, that's EXACTLY what they want in their phone. For me, it's not. I need a reliable phone that can make calls and send texts as that's what I use my phone for 95% of the time. I don't *need* NFC technology (or really any new technology above what I currently have...) Sometimes it's nice, sure. But never really a necessity.

I would prefer to get my technology tested and refined before committing to it.

And I know what many of you are thinking... but think of it this way. Apple has ONE iPhone. One. They sell MILLIONS of them. If they incorporate ANYTHING new and there's even the slightest problem with it... it's worst-case-scenario for them. They HAVE to fix it since they have NO other cellphone devices to focus on.

Android handset manufacturers have the luxury of MANY different devices. They know that if something doesn't work out on one of their devices they can: a) sweep it under the rug and ignore it as it only affects a small percentage of their customer base and b) they will likely be replacing it with a new device really soon.

So while Apple has ONE device out and typically does a one-year cycle, Android handset manufacturers have MANY devices out on a smaller cycle and therefore can rebound better from a not-so-great-execution of a new technology.

I'm here (on Macrumors and as an iPhone customer) because my first smartphone was the Samsung Fascinate (original Galaxy S). That phone was so poorly executed and supported, I decided to get something that better suited me. My logic and reasonings are spelled out above.

I hate when I see people complaining about what Apple is doing versus Android. Go take a business class or two, look at the market, look at the strategy, and try to be more informed of WHY things are the way they are instead of just complaining and whining that your widget isn't as shiny as little Johnnys.

(not addressed to anyone specifically except those who complain so much about what Apple does NOT include in their devices)

23. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I don't see anything that missing in a big way. NFC really requires the infrastructure to be ready and it appears to be moving slowly. I don't know a single store I shop at that supports NFC for anything.

Apple supports Audience technology in the 4 and 4s. Earsmart "sounds" nice but I'd have to see it in actual use before I buy into it. Audience making a statement that their technology will not be used in the next iPhone leads me to believe another company delivered a product or Apple has moved to their own homegrown solution.

I'm not really worried about what people say on a message-board. If Android or Windows 8 or whatever is more suitable for them they should make that move.

I just haven't seen a better platform for my needs.

24. AdamskiUK macrumors regular

They would never put such major tech in their S update. Apple, like Intel have taken up a tick-tock cycle. Every 2 years there's a tickover of major hardware, with the year after being the tock. Expect all these features in 2014 with the iPhone 6.

25. mantan macrumors 68000

This long ode to craftsmanship would mean a lot more if the proximity sensor on my iP4 actually worked like it was supposed to. But since I can't even hold it to my ear with my shoulder for a second without it putting people on hold/facetime/mute, I don't expect them to be any better at building phones than the competition.

Apple has been extremely successful with their major release/minor update iPhone schedule.

Hopefully they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat next week, because all of the rumors are what it won't have than what it will.

The iPhone 4 was a game changer because it moved the bar in so many ways. (Crappy proximity sensor notwithstanding) Hopefully there will be some surprises next week.