iPad I feel like us iPad 3 owners will feel a gastronomical leap to A7.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I have an iPad 3 and can feel the lag in graphics heavy sites. Even Apple's own iPhone 5S page has a bit of stuttering.

I played around with the iPad 4 in Best Buy and can't notice any lag. I feel like the iPad 5 will be the first point where the hardware is exponentially faster than the software.

Anyone else cannot wait to upgrade? I can't decide whether to sell my iPad 3 to offset the costs or to keep it around as a "coffee table" secondary iPad. After all, I pretty much only use it for browsing the web and Netflix.

2. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

I presume you mean "astronomical" :)

Yes, it'll be a big leap. The iPad 3 was a premature product - they doubled the qraphics power over the iPad 2 but it had four times as many pixels to move and, as a result, was slower graphically. Basically the 3 doesn't have enough grunt to drive the screen in all conditions.

The iPad 4 should have been the first retina device but I suspect the market at the time dictated that they needed to launch the high res screen early in 2012 and the hardware just wasn't ready. As a result the 3 was a kind of stop-gap measure and is why the 4 followed only seven months later.

I had a 2 and then a 3. I upgraded because I wanted the retina display, more memory and 3G and, whilst I don't regret it for a moment, it did annoy me how noticably slower the 3 was than the 2 in a lot of circumstances, not to mention thicker and heavier.

I sold my 3 a couple of weeks ago and will be ordering a 5 on launch day.

3. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Yeah, can't wait for the iPad 5 and get rid of my red headed bastard child 3!

4. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Spell check has done me in a couple times as well. :)

5. aneftp macrumors 601

iPad 3 is still fine to use for basic web surfing email non intensive apps (like banking apps) and kiddie games.

I have had all 4 iPads.

iPad 4 is what the 3 should have been. I agree with that. I haven't updated to ios7 with iPad 3 but did update to iOS 7 for iPad 4 for fear tang ios 7 will slow down iPad 3 performance until apple tweaks the software more.

Both my kids ages 1 and 3 use my Verizon lte 64gb iPad 3 and wifi iPad 4. I am waiting for iPad 5 myself so I can finally claim back an iPad for my own personal use.

6. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I sold my iPad 3 last month and am eagerly awaiting the 5 :)

7. Xeyad macrumors 6502

What do you think us iPad 1 users should say? :p

In all seriousness though, my iPad 1 now only serves as an emulator machine more than anything else. Installed a couple of emulators, bought an iCade cabinet, and looks pretty good when it sits on my desk.

Can't wait for the iPad 5 ;)

8. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

My ipad 3 is barely 2 years old. Don't think I can afford to upgrade. Will likely squeeze one more year out of it. It's definitely struggling under ios7 but still suffices for the tasks I put it through.

9. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

AntnyMikal

I'll be making the jump from a 1st gen so I cannot wait.

10. Teste macrumors 6502

Not really.

iOS 7 doesn't really have any feature I consider a must (and I don't even like it that much). The iPad 5 won't come with any feature I'm really interested in, based on the current rumors and on what we know about the iPhone 5S.

Right now, my iPad 3 does everything I want it to do smoothly (with the exception being Pages, which sucks), under iOS 6. I have no reason to update the iPad or the iOS.

11. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

My iPad 3 isn't even a year old yet, so i'm not even close to thinking of upgrading, it still does everything i want it to do, and the only "lag" i notice is there's a delay when trying to change backgrounds, other than that, still runs smooth

12. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

:D

Nice.

13. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

+1 near enough freezes when change wallpaper but other tasks for me seem fine :)

14. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Sure. The thought of going to an iPad with an A7 either wants to make him fart or is giving him heartburn.

15. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

iPad 3 rocks

I have no issues with lagging or performance on my iPad 3, even after updating to iOS 7, I'm planning to get a few more years out of it at least.

Unless of course they release a retina iPad mini, then I might upgrade for completely aesthetic purposes....

16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

clearly he's going to eat it, read between the lines:p

17. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

My ipad 3 is working smoothly on io7, so I don't have an urgent reason to upgrade. Of course, I will wait for the iPad 5 release to get the full story and make a decision.

18. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

My iPad 3 works just fine on iOS 7. No slowdowns I've noticed and battery seems perfect.

19. Macalway macrumors 68020

That's the cool thing

The farther back you go in the iPad food chain the nicer it will be to upgrade

If I were to upgrade ,let's say, from an iPad 1,

That would be something. ;)

20. nStyle macrumors 65816

Another word for extreme diarrhea. Then... a gastronomical leap becomes self explanatory: gastronomical expulsions so vast that they lift you off the ground. I agree with OP.

21. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Agreed, if you're upgrading every year, it would be like "Yeah, this is kinda neat" but if you waited 3-4 generations it would be a massive jump

22. Wbutchart macrumors regular

I'll keep my 3, I don't notice much lag, the bits I do don't bother me (I really am not remotely bothered for instance there is lag changing wallpaper). It still does everything I use it for really well (pages, Netflix, football manager, accordance bible software, notebooks for ipad) so I'm good might consider a 5 or six when near graduation next year.

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Nah, sticking with my 3. Hell, it's still on iOS 6. I will upgrade it to iOS 7 soon, though. Probably once they release iOS 7.1 or something.

I plan to hang on to it until they don't release iOS updates for it anymore. Which is probably next year, sadly enough.

24. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

My iPad 3 does fine for most all tasks, but it's awfully slow when changing wallpaper. It sucks because I use it almost exclusively for changing the wallpaper every 20-30 seconds.