I feel outraged about the pricing.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pedromcm.pm, Sep 10, 2014.

1. pedromcm.pm macrumors 6502

Portugal pricing

For starters, let me tell you that I really liked the keynote, the new iPhones and I believe that it is hilarious that Apple will have the 3 fastest devices on the market.

However, while I agree with the pricing of the new models (instead of 16 GB it should be 32, but that's fine. Competitors priced their high end devices at the same price while Apple always offered better camera, faster phone, design, designed their own SoC, had to support an whole ecosystem, etc.), I can't gel but being outraged about the price of the 5s and the 5c.

The 5s will retail for 599 €. That will make a killing for those that want a smaller screen. And worse, the 5c, Apple's opportunity to attack the lower end, will retail for 399 €. Both are extremely expensive, but the 5c is a missed opportunity in so many levels.

A 299 unlocked, they could make a fantastic profit, kill the iPod touch, capture the youth in places outside North America, and keep iOS relevant in countries where Apple is just a rounding error in Marketshare, like Portugal/Spain/Russia/etc.

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

There are other options. Spend your money on what you can afford.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is what it is and there are few choices. Apple can not make everyone happy!

4. Powrie macrumors 6502

I hated the Keynote, it was impossible to watch the stream and it aggravated the hell out of me.

I didnt get any information during the keynote because the steam would not play, and I still cant find it on youtube.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't get the outrage
    It isn't my responsibility to manage Apple's business model (and I don't own stock)

I pick the phone I can afford and meets my needs and move on
    What do I care what the 5C costs if I'm buying a 6?

6. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Look for the 5S and 5C on retailers, I'm pretty sure they will carry a bit discount over from the Apple website prices.

7. emporiky, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

emporiky macrumors regular

I completely agree, :apple: prices in Europe are ridiculous compared to those in the US. For the money you buy 5c in Europe you can buy 6 in the US.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Outrage for a phone? Do you feel outraged because BMW charges so much for their cars (yeah I really do hate using the car analogy but it seems to fit).

Apple was never a company that attempted to garner marketshare by lowering its product but the opposite. It considers its products premium and charges a premium price.

Don't feel outraged, it's not worth it, either find a way to pay for it, or find a phone that is in your budget range.

9. pedromcm.pm thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that, of course that I won't buy an iPhone until I can justify it.
    It was their option, but I believe that it is a seriously big missed opportunity, don't you?
    It is available as a podcast on itunes. Download the Apple keynote podcast. While the stream was terrible, the vent itself was fantastic. Everybody is talking about it and the media loved it.
    I don't get your point. If you have nothing to add to the discussion, don't post.
    Vodafone usually sells them for 70 € less, but it isn't unlocked. Still, 330€ for a locked 5s is still a lot.
    Those prices in the US are because of contracts.
    Don't be so literal.

I was waiting for today to finally buy my first iPhone. 299 € (not dollars) would still make premium.

10. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Oh it is a complete rip-off.

Anyone that says otherwise is deluded.

11. emporiky macrumors regular

I am talking about unlocked phones, not with contracts. In the US unlocked 16gb iPhone 6 is $649, in Europe 8 gb is 400 euro (in some places, as in Bulgaria, even 500 for 16gb)

PS. $650 dollars = 500 euro

12. emporiky macrumors regular

Look at my previous post, I am talking about unlocked phones.

13. cperchard macrumors 6502a

You do realise they pay tax on top of the price in USA right?

14. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

Yep, I deleted my post when I noticed that. However, the US/EU price "difference" subject gets raised all the time, and once you factor in tax (included in EU price but not in US price) the difference isn't as big as it can first appear

15. emporiky macrumors regular

I really did not take in account the taxes. But I have heard that the tax is different in every state, an there are some, where it is very low (I have no idea if this is really true).

In my country this is a business on its own - people buying :apple: products from the US and then reselling them here, which is still cheaper than authorized retailers.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Fortunately, you don't get to decide who posts or not, or who adds to the discussion :)

My POINT is, Apple makes their business decisions as they see fit.
    I don't work for Apple, don't own stock in Apple, so I don't really care what their market share is, their strategy in other countries, etc.
    I just evaluate their product, see if it meets my need at my price point.
    If it does, I buy, if it doesn't, I don't.
    Not much different from buying any other product at the store.
    I don't evaluate BMW's missed opportunities in the US due to pricing either.

I don't see YOUR point in being outraged over Apple's pricing :)