I feel your pain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm sure this one will be good for chuckles around here:

"Cue the tiny violins"...bwah-ha-ha! :p

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Ah heeheehee :D

Easy to mock them isn't it! Once they get caught up in the lifestyle trap the costs spiral out of control. Not that I have any sympathy for them at all.. it's a first world problem I'd happily take on :p

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Poor little Duke and Zelda better watch out. I hear they are next after the motorcycles.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm not saying I'm crying my eyes out over this, but if you look at the job these people do it can be pretty tough. I knew a guy (mid-20s) who was a trader for one year so pretty junior. Frequently in the office all night and weekends with little life. Years of education to get there and the debt that goes with it. Wasn't poor, but certainly not these numbers (total pay inc bonus still easily 5 figures in $). Only the very top people get the 'big bucks' after years of slaving in a notoriously uncertain job. For many their basic pay is low and everything is performances based. After seeing it from the outside it's not an area I'd go into without serious remuneration. Some of these guys are jerks (like every profession) but others I do respect.

5. Fazzy, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

Fazzy macrumors 6502

Aw. Cant we all empathise. Nobody says anything, but everyone at the country club has those knowing looks in their eyes. the poor bankers with their bonuses slashed. Reduced to driving a Porsche, the "beater" of supercars. Why oh why?! How much worse could it get?!!!!!! Yes, Im sure those living the polar opposite lifestyle would cry their hearts out for these guys.

Fair enough that it sucks to have your pay slashed, but what gets us ordinary folk is when they whine about how hard it is for them. That theyre "reduced" to living a lifestyle others could only dream about. But funnily enough, there are people who could say the same about you or I.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Brit version of this from a short while back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11382591

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Flying Business Class.

8. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Seems like they have to work hard to ruin our economy.

9. Sedulous, Mar 1, 2012

Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Describes just about every professional I know of but really only a few professions are remunerated as generously as bankers playing with other people's money.

10. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Some rich people really don't know what to appreciate in life. Unless it comes with a hefty price-tag is ain't quality.

I understand that someone who's worked their butt off 24/7 for ten years wants some monetary compensation but they should also learn how to economize while spending as they should be the first to know when the money looses its worth. And if they get one of those spendy trophy wives it's their fault they go broke by the time they're 60.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If these people want to spend their education and working life making money off of other people's efforts, I have zero sympathy for them.

They "produce" nothing, even though they may say they fill a need.

A need that they themselves created.

12. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

A little English lesson...

To "renumerate" (if the word actually existed) would mean to re-number something. Like change 1,2,3,4 to 1,3,5,7.

The word you were trying to hit is "remunerate", which means to compensate.

Have a great day.

13. Liquorpuki, Mar 1, 2012

Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I looked up the Schiff guy and reporter actually twisted his words. The guy was trying to make a statement about how the cost of living in NY has changed. The reporter turned it into a class warfare piece.

And the guy is not an I-Banker or broker. He works in marketing.

14. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Wurd up dawg. I fhixed it 4 u.

15. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

One more edit and you'll have it right... add a 'd' at the end to make it remunerated.

16. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Dizzang. I gots it write now professuh?

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The reporter sensationalized it a bit, but that doesn't change the fact that the story is about a fairly wealthy man complaining that he's struggling to maintain his rather cushy lifestyle. Spin it however you want, and it boils down to that.

As an aside, who knew NYC was an expensive place to live? :rolleyes:

True - but for a broker. So the "Wall Street" label is fair enough.

18. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

It's lovely.

19. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Well imagine how much yacht envy he must suffer every day!

20. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not wanting to be a party to anything misleading, I looked up Schiff and Scheiner, and you're onto something. They don't come across as quite the oblivious pricks that the article makes them sound like.

Nevertheless, the essence of the story, even de-sensationalized, is that both of these guys thought they made it to the really big leagues, and now find themselves walloped in the face with a 2-by-4, involuntarily forced to confront a lifestyle that is less than what they thought it would be.

Welcome to the club, guys. Just don't expect too much sympathy. You've still got it better than the rest of us.

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well, I will say I don't think his struggles are not important to him.

but when put in perspective to what the world is experiencing, yeah, silly.

22. jsolares macrumors 6502a

And what do you think everyone else is doing? there are ppl with 3 jobs trying to make ends meet. I'm certainly not crying my eyes out at all, welcome to how most of the rest of the world has it, and they still have it a lot better.

23. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Most people cant get the concept to spend within their means. A bonus is a bonus, you just can't spend something you don't have yet.

A large part of my salary is from bonus and stock options. I got a pretty big bonus 2 years in a roll, 25%+ of my annual salary, but I got $2000 last year. Was I disappointed? Of course I am, am I hurting? No because I knew it was a bonus, can't really expect it. If I was living like the peeps in the article, my wife and I should be living in a million dollar house and driving a 911. Yet, we are renting and we only have a $25,000 car.

24. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

You must be doing it wrong.

25. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Up until 2008, bonuses were pretty much guaranteed in finance and particularly Wall Street. They were part of rather than added to your salary. If you didn't get a sufficient bonus, you walked to another bank, preferably taking some clients with you.