I finally admit it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prvt.donut, Sep 14, 2012.

1. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

I understand Apple's Store philosophy, I get how they want to create a magical space in which to showcase their products.

But I have always hated being inside any apple store. Maybe it's being used to (forced into) art galleries from a young age, but my feeling in every Apple store I have ever been in is wannabe.

They want to create this amazing space with which to showcase their products, that highlights their superior design ethic. But for me, the execution of their OS has been the big draw to them.

To highlight this, I have never bought anything from Apple, from an Apple store.

Maybe my combination of Art and Programming background makes me different from the mass public, but I am sure I am not the only one.

I tried to watch the latest keynote and it gave me a similar chill to the facade of the Apple store. Trying to project this special image of itself.

The iPhone 4, I bought because it offered so much more. The iPhone 5, I have not got any idea of why I should upgrade...

I have owned an android for the past year in parallel to my iPhone and had a chance to make the most of the OS, but it is nowhere near as good as iOS. I am actually a fan of the Windows OS. Windows is a very deep OS and they have a lot of legacy obligations as well as enterprise environments. So whilst I enjoy OSX at home and Windows 7/2008R2 at work, I have no such love for android.

Even though. I still do not know why I should upgrade.

My 2+ year old iPhone 4, I have replaced most of the parts myself, so it is for all intensive purposes it is a brand new phone. It runs well, the battery lasts all day.

So why did I preorder the 64GB iPhone 5?

TBH, I don't know...

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Comparing how their, and almost everyone else's, computers were sold before the first Apple Store; they didn't just want to create an amazing space, they did create it.

3. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

:confused:

What?

The point i was trying to make was that it was the conviction of their OS paradigm that made me a fan. Not the positioning of said device in an esthetically pleasing local.

I would love nothing more than the ability to build my own mac. because I love computers and creating systems, but I also love OSX's design.

4. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

It's like walking into HHGREG- i hate that place - from the moment you walk in you are hounded by a salesman pressuring you to buy. Apple isn't as aggressive but I can see what you mean.

Actually, I have no idea what you mean...can you explain? =)

5. BLUElightCory macrumors newbie

The whole point of the Apple Store is to put the device in your hands so you can get the "user experience," which is very much a function of the OS. That's why there are 20 functioning iPads when you walk in.

And what business doesn't strive to project a special image of itself?

6. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

OP, does your post boil down to "I like iOS but I don't like the way Apple markets itself"?

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

The only thing I hate about the Apple Store is no matter what time you go, it is ALWAYS busy, filled with people. One time, we went to the one near us, probably just opened for the day 10 minutes prior, and there was a dozen or so people inside already. I don't do well with crowds, it's an anxiety thing.

8. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I gather one of Apple's priorities is to increase the size of their stores.

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Bigger floor space leads to bigger crowds. Which leads to even more floor space needed. Which will lead to bigger crowds. :confused:

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You may not like their store, but it is working very well for them, thank you.

And, I hate thread titles that do not include enough information to decide to skip it.

11. nparmelee macrumors 6502

We have both an Apple and a Microsoft store in our mall (Domain in Austin), one Saturday walked in to the Apple store and it was packed, later wandered in to the Microsoft store and it was a ghost town with almost the exact same layout and look as the Apple store. Kind of weird. I like the Apple store myself. The difference to me is that Apple is a hardware company that also makes some softwre and Microsoft is a software company that makes some hardware, and not much. I'm not quite sure what the OP doesn't like, but that is your taste. The happy part is that there are choices, if you don't see a value in upgrading from the iPhone 4 to 5, then don't. I'm doing that upgrade and happy about it.

12. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

From what I gather, it sounds like the OP doesn't like 'Look at our products! Aren't they amazing! We live and breath apple! Buy our stuff!' advertising approach that the apple stores and the keynotes are saturated in.
    I think they are also trying to say that they don't only dislike it, but don't allow themselves to fall for said advertising and simply buy apple products due to their OS... despite just pre-ordering an iphone unnecessarily... :rolleyes: