i finally did it - i converted! need judt a bit of help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dafunktyfunk, Oct 2, 2011.

1. dafunktyfunk, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

dafunktyfunk macrumors newbie

hello, community...

been lurking for some time reading and researching before i made the leap.with all of the great information here, i finally pulled the trigger! i just left my 6core amd1090black for a newiMac.

something very odd happened with my order though, would love feedback...

i ordered a refurb 2011 27" iMac. it was sold as a 3.4 i7, 2x2 gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 6970HD video with 1g DDR5. cool machine, here is where it goes... different.

what i ended up getting from my fedex friend was:

a 3.4 i7, 2x4 gb RAM, 2TB HDD, 6970HD video with 2g DDR5.

now, the natural reaction is, "what the hell.... they couldnt have screwed up this bad. apple just doesnt do that." but sure enough the hardware is all in there. the box was labeled right, my order shows right and the applecare people show the build right but, i actully did get all those bumps. looks like somehow, someone messed up and i got a great bonus. YAY!

here is where i need hour help and opinions...

how do let apple know so they can fix the build in the computer so that if i have a problem, i can get the right parts replaced without risking the apple secret police coming to take it back?

also, and i am not complning at ALL, has this happened to anyone else?

lastly, aside from enjoying my new machne, what risks or concerns do you think these new bumps and freebie bonuses will have on my long term support from apple?

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

You got better specs, it happens with refurbs. No need to worry, whatever the machine is, they will fix it. It has a one year warranty. No need to do anything or worry about it.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This happens from time to time with refurbished machines. If someone buys a new CTO machine and then returns it, it makes its way back into the refurb channels. Rather than go through the hassel of creating a unique listing for a particular CTO build, Apple just sells them as if they were normal machines. The refurd specs are in some ways the minimum specs you'll get - you might be lucky and get better.

4. dafunktyfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

wow!,

so then $1699 was a good deal for this machine then?

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I would say so. If you even call apple, I bet they will say you should just keep it and be happy. :)

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I thought so too. :cool:

Are you eligible for Apple Care?? One year is fine, but three are better. ;)

7. dafunktyfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

well they told me i was but, if i have a problem, they would only replace what was on the build sheet.

oh well, i am happy. just took it to 16 gb of ram tpday.for 55.bucks and i think i am rolling!

this thing isuper fast. faster than my dual thread 6 core amd. the only problem is that i.cant get my mac to connect wih the rest of my wondows network.