I finally snapped and sent a letter to my landlord about the cafe below my flat!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barkmonster, Apr 20, 2009.

1. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I've spent the past 3 years complaining to the tenant, not the letting agency and after the Nth Monday of being woken up at just past 6am and numerous other problems I only get a break from on Sundays when the cafe below my flat isn't open, I finally did something about it and popped this letter through the door of my letting agency this afternoon. I've changed some of the names and locations to remain anonymous and amuse myself:-

20th April 2009
    * address details *
    F.A.O. * letting agency *

RE: On going issues with the Cafe below * my flat *

Last time I complained to ginger-menace about her noise just after 6am, it was 2 months since I'd paid any electric after changing from monthly to weekly pay, she spat her dummy out and I got a letter about the electric money being due AFTER I'd paid it! ginger-menace has always used the electric meter, no matter how recently it was paid as a universal get out clause for every inconsiderate thing she’s ever being responsible for or being so arrogant, said, “You don’t HAVE to live here”. I’m sure if I pointed out I was BORN in the village and she didn’t have to MOVE here from wherever her obnoxious accent came from to start with, she couldn’t handle the same attitude from me.

Noise & Arrogance

COMPLAINT 1 - I complained to ginger-menace about all the noise just after 6am within a week of moving in.

COMPLAINT 2 - Even after that, I've being woken up just after 6am by ginger-menace gabbing on to the pie man like it's the middle of the day at least once a week, EVERY WEEK as long I've lived here or until a visit from the TV Licence people (Which I had nothing to do with but wish I'd thought of it) last year, by the cafe listening to * The worst commercial radio station in the world * with constant noisy adverts every 10 minutes and occasional tone deaf singing over it too. Until I started temping in autumn, I worked shifts till 8pm every Monday and Tuesday plus various Friday late shifts and Saturdays. Being woken up early made me feel run down a lot of the time and when I changed to 8am shifts on Wednesdays, I often didn’t recover till weekend.

COMPLAINT 3 - Last year, a girl who works in the cafe woke me up just after 6am on a Saturday when I had work later in the day. When I went down to complain after 20 solid minutes of * The worst commercial radio station in the world *, she was very cocky about it but did turn it down. ginger-menace made the excuse of "she's only 19" instead of apologising and...

COMPLAINT 4 - ...the next time the girl opened up on a Saturday, she deliberately played it full blast from 6am onwards, completely ignoring my complaints, even when I was banging on the cafe door and the girl could see me through the window! It was only turned down when ginger-menace got there who again, didn't apologise and it was too late by then to make any difference.

COMPLAINT 5 - Even after ginger-menace stopped playing the radio every day till gone 3pm, I continue to be woken up by the pie man's fog horn voice so I complained in November and ginger-menace accused me of hearing things!

I asked where else the noise was coming from downstairs at the just after 6am and she changed the subject to the electric money then some gobby girl who works for her suggesting I do more hours at work to cover it, even saying to ginger-menace within earshot when I went back up to the flat that she was close to smacking me for the way I spoke to her. At the time I'd lost £100s in bank charges after finishing at a company at short notice then going to weekly pay and working 13 hour days by public transport made the whole idea of overtime a joke.

COMPLAINT 6 - ginger-menace's husband started using power tools right below the bedroom just after 10am one Sunday in December then turned the electric off without even warning me first. It was freezing cold at the time and he was so arrogant (which seems like a family trait) that he laughed at me when I complained!

Double Standards

The café keep being neurotic and petty about me listening to music or the sound of the shower being on. It doesn't happen too often but they SHOULDN’T be banging on my door to start with. I always play music at the same level whether it’s ambient, rock, dance music etc… because I’ve usually not being awake long at the time. I left it playing once when I collected my mail from the café just to see how loud it actually was for them and wasn’t surprised when I couldn’t hear it. ginger-menace’s definition of "noise" is well after 7.30am, very short lived and made up of this: -

a) Listening to music through tiny 1 inch iPod speakers that can't even be heard in the next room with the doors closed but CAN be heard over the noise of her extractor in my bedroom because I play it just loud enough to hear over it when she turns it on because the constant drone is brain numbing!

b) The Extractor Fan in the bathroom. (which has always being on a timer circuit after the light is turned off)

c) The sound of the Shower itself.

I've being listening to music while showering or doing housework as long as I've lived here without the slightest response from down stairs till recent months and I could have put something in writing previously about the cafe but chose to deal with ginger-menace directly and complain to her personally every time instead. Only this morning I was woken up at just gone 6am yet again when I have no reason to be up at that time of the day but I AM putting it in writing now because I’m just plain sick of it after over 3 years!

After everything I've had to put up with from downstairs over the years, ginger-menace has forfeit any right to start complaining now just to be petty.

I rarely answer the door unless I'm expecting someone anyway because there's enough banging and clattering around in the kitchen downstairs that I can't really tell the difference half the time and end up answering the door when there's no one actually there.

Mess & Clutter

There's plenty of room for everyone's rubbish after I spent 3 days clearing all the weeds and sorting the shared area at very back out in 2007 at the expense of both myself and D****. ginger-menace's huge industrial bin is usually so close to the gate it leaves no room for me to put my own rubbish out. She even complains about me leaving bin bags out a few days before collection sometimes but the council say it's a black bag collection area. (even though they provided wheelie bins to the flat next door within 3 weeks of them moving in)

RE: The Flat itself.

Cooking smells

Even though ginger-menace puts the extractor in her kitchen on every day, it doesn't work because the whole bedroom and bathroom area of the flat smells of burned toast and bacon every day they're open and the smell gets into my clothes etc...

No Dedicated Electric Meter / Bill

I don't see any reason to pay ginger-menace more often than every 3 months because that's the frequency of the bills. When I've given anything between those times to reduce it, it's just to make it more manageable if a large bill comes, not a reason to be asking for it any sooner.

Unless I have my OWN meter like the flat next door (not a sub meter or card meter), I won't be changing how often it's paid simply because getting £100+ together in 1 go is impossible without being monthly paid unless I don't pay something else.

Bathroom Window

It's needed replacing since I moved in January 2006, I re-decorated the bathroom because it was a mess. It looks a LOT better now but I still need the window fitting and the weather is milder now so it's the perfect time of year to do it safely.

Yours truly,

* my name **

It's a pretty blunt letter but at least I left out an idea I had about how a 19 year old student nurse working weekends could have apologised if she chose to and didn't swear ;)

2. djjclark macrumors regular

Sorry but to many non american colloquialisms to really understand your rant.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Sorry, but, you really have to be mentally capable of understanding gibberish to understand your statement.

If what you (djjclark) are saying is that, many Americans won't understand his rant, I'd like to let you know that I do, and I'm only 15.
    It really doesn't take that much to figure out what certain words mean from using context clues.

4. TK B$K macrumors 6502

porque no habla en casa si un poco gordo el nueva bootas.

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Huh?

Anyway to the OP...good luck and I hope things work out for you. I know what it's like to live with annoying neighbors (although certainly not to the extent you do...wow). It's a shame more people aren't more considerate to the people around them.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Because you don't speak house yes one _____ new boots?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Seems to me like it is time to find a new place to live.

8. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

Hopefully you landlord will take your side.

That just seems ridiculous.
    I would had to have neighbors like that.

9. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Wait, to the OP, did you know there was a place of business beneath your flat before you moved in?

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That's either "Blow it out your ear!!", or "Blame it on the Marines." :confused:

11. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

The point is, I've lived in the village my entire life, it's a small place with very little property and I've no intention of moving away because someone who moved here for whatever reason has no consideration for others. Her husband is a self-employed gardener with his own equipment and stuff, there's no reason why they even moved to the village in the first place.

Of course but what I'm talking about is basic consideration for others.

It's her attitude and the fact before she took it over, my friend who used to live next door had no issues with noise, clutter or anything with the previous people who ran it, in fact the woman at the letting agency I rent the flat off used to run it so the complaint is going to someone who's bound to understand if they didn't cause any complaints themselves the whole time they were there.

The woman running it is basically an obnoxious egomaniac, You should see her hen-pecked husband, he's barely over 5ft and looks just like penfold off Dangermouse. I doubt he's ever said no to anything she's ever said in his life :D

After my friend next door moved out, the flat next door was empty for some time, I didn't want to swap flats because his flat is so much smaller than mine and when someone eventually moved in, they were complaining to the cafe within 3 days as soon as Mr Motor-mouth turned up and the stupid sideshow attraction cow that runs the cafe started talking at the same level.

Attached Files:

12. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Have you considered cutting a hole in the floor and releasing 10,000 cockroaches into the cafe?

It may be easier just to move out to the country.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...you live above a cafe. And you expected it to be quiet? I mean...SERIOUSLY? :confused::confused::confused:

You need to move.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

____ = low/little fat, EDIT maybe fat should be stout...

At 6am?

15. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

:-D

I'm in the country in the first place, that's the problem, if it was a city, there'd be loads of property, it's very quiet and I'm right in the middle of the village, I rarely need to wear a coat to go out unless it's the middle or winter or I need to do a big shop at a supermarket.

I have considered recording her noise on a timer then playing it back to her on a time delay later in the day interspersed with Slayer, Amen, Pendulum, Nine Inch Nails, random bill hicks routines, bursts of white noise, monty python songs, richard cheese and wierd al yankovic cover versions and sound effects of vomiting and random animal noises but it really would be the most annoying iTunes playlist in the world and I'd need to borrow a mike off a friend for about a week for it work.

I wouldn't even consider complaining about the noise of the cafe when it's open, that's to be expected but also at 7.30 onwards. What I'm talking about is very early in the morning, she makes very little actual noise so far as moving things around etc... till she's open but it's the noise of the chatter and until last year, the radio with constant adverts and lousy music that's the problem. Not to mention her attitude and the attitude of the some of the girls who work there.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Do it. And report back for our entertainment :p.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Maybe it's because I'm in the US, but that would be the beginning of people coming in to get coffee, etc. before work. It would seem that the cafe would have to be getting ready to open at least by 6:30 am. That's how it is a lot of places here.

18. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

If there are local noise ordinances, that might be the ticket.

When I was single and lived in an apartment, I once helped get a neighbor evicted. He would play loud rap music at 3am in the bedroom. I had to sleep in my living room, for a time. I finally recorded his noise and played it back for the apartment manager. I neglected to tell her that I had retaliated, by putting my 200 watt Cerwin-Vegas against the wall and blaring Sonata #2 in B flat minor (the funeral march) back at said neighbors. At any rate, the neighbors on the other side of the noisemakers also complained. That seemed to do it.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok I am lost.
    You live above a cafe and they have issues with your noise too?

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't worry, people here move in next door to the dump, sewage plants, and gravel pits ... then spend the next 10 years complaining to the EPA about the smells, noise, dirt, etc.

Basically, if it was there when you moved in and they are following some of the considerations like pushing deliveries until after 6am -- then suck it up, or don't stay there 3 years.

21. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I never actually thought of mentioning the fact I have to sleep in the living room sometimes to get a full night sleep. Usually, if I want to guarantee I sleep till 7.30 at least, I just crash on the sofa for a bit after being woken up but that's not practical if I want to concentrate on anything later in the day.

The way I see it, it's out in the open now and if she tries to turn it round and complain about any noise I make as a reason for her noise, I can explain how the elderly lady next door to me has never complained and neither has her son, the mayor. Not that I get involved in village politics, they'd never agree with my "throw all the Chavs in a giant wood chipper" idea.

22. snberk103 macrumors 603

Toccato and Fugue in D Minor, by JS Bach. Didn't have to go to the landlord after that.

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That's lame. I recommend Oskar Sala, inventor of the Mixturtrautonium, possibly the first electronic instrument. Used to great effect in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". Three CDs of his music are available on iTunes.

They will not want to hear that music. And they will not want to live next door to the person playing this music.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I always recommend the Best of Barney Songs.

Nothing like a purple dino singing on an endless loop to make people suicide.

25. snberk103 macrumors 603

it was available
    Sir, I bow to your expertise!
    We played from vinyl. We were university students. Had to go with what we had. But the Birds idea, would have been worth missing a beer to three for.