I finally understand Apple replacing 4/4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajt1995, Aug 1, 2013.

1. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

I finally understand why apple would release TWO iPhones this year, and completely remove the 4/4S... It's not the lightning connector, it's not the screen... It's LTE...

LTE is far more efficient than 3G, so that the carriers could get people up to LTE networks faster, and not waste any more spectrum on 3G/HSPA.

Which, in turn, could drive data costs down...

http://gigaom.com/2012/03/05/how-apple-could-screw-the-u-s-wireless-industry/

http://gigaom.com/2012/09/12/what-the-lte-iphone-5-means-for-consumers/

http://www.zdnet.com/ofcom-lte-will-boost-capacity-230-percent-over-3g-3040092774/

What do you guys think?

2. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

I have my doubts that the iPhone 5C will have LTE. It is aimed at markets where LTE isn't currently in use.

Pietro

3. ajt1995 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any network would want to deploy LTE, no? Especially how efficient it is... the iPhone 5C I could see being really popular with teens.

4. irDigital0l Guest

The iPhone 4/4S is already hugely popular among teens.

One is $0 another is $99.

5. makotoisle macrumors 6502

Personally I think 1) the building cost of the glass/stainless steel cuts deeply into the margins of a discounted iPhone 4/4S whereas a plastic iPhone will not and 2) it will standardize the screen size for the app store, etc.

6. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Well yes and no,
    If we're talking about networks in emerging markets, then it is important to consider that they might not be able to get a good enough return on an investment for launching LTE, so not any network, it depends on the customers and how many customers actually use mobile data in the first place. You'd be surprised to know how many people who use iPhones or other smartphones do not use mobile data. In addition to that, if Apple wants to have a "winner" with the iPhone 5C it will need to be priced aggressively and omitting LTE will drive the price down. Lastly, I think a bigger reason to replace the iPhone 4/4S would be to have consistent screen sizes across the board, and therefore even reduce developer workload who will no longer have to develop apps for multiple screen sizes.

Pietro

7. ajt1995 thread starter macrumors 6502

The thread is about Apple working with carriers to phase out phones without LTE...

----------

Both excellent points, somehow I missed these when I was running thru reasons ;)

----------

There are a lot of "cheap" Android phones with LTE, and I *would* believe it, My parents both use 300-400 MB of data every month, where I have trouble staying below 3GB, and my aunt regularly goes over 5.

8. irDigital0l Guest

Threads aren't limited to the original post.

After your first post, you responded and I responded to that post.

Your welcome.

9. ajt1995 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. That's true, most of my friends have 4S/4. Although, recently we have iphone 5's with Walmart selling them for $129

10. cynics macrumors G3

Wow. You guys know a lot about the rumored iPhone, even the markets it will deployed in.

That said if it were sold in the states it would need to have LTE. Verizon won't add a smartphone to their product line that isn't LTE. Been this way for quite sometime. They are going to completely phase out their 3G and need to make sure all their customers are on LTE. Obviously this isn't going to occur for quite a while but this plan has been in motion for quite sometime.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Think you'll find it's more to do with the unit cost/profit margin on the 4-4s being low

12. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

We don't know what markets it's aimed at. If the rumors are true, it will be sold alongside the 5S as the only other iPhone. If that's the case, I doubt they would release a phone that didn't have LTE, when Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile all have LTE networks.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You may be right. I wish we could do VOIP calls with the clarity of Skype but without everybody needing Skype on their phone. After I used Skype on my phone a couple of times, I REALLY hated the crap quality we have on the POTS networks. I'm still on Verizon's 3G and probably still will be until the Athens LTE expands out to me, but at least I would have that option. I also understand the speed difference after upgrading my home connection from 6 Mbps to 25 Mbps.

I still think it's more about getting everybody on the same screen size a year sooner than the previous cycle would have so support for 3.5" displays can be eliminated a year sooner. Plus I'm sure Apple wants to ditch the 30-pin connector ASAP so accessory makers aren't still mostly making devices for 30-pin connections. It seems like most of the stuff I see in stores is either 30-pin or Bluetooth. Maybe one or two support Lightning. It's almost a year later, so it's kinda time to get with the program if you're a third-party accessory company.

14. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I actually see Apple dropping the 4 and not dropping the 4S. The reason being is because they still need to get rid of components and that they still can make a large amount of money in the phone.

I don't believe the reports that they will be dropping the 4S. And no, if they do it, it won't be for screen size, it's really not hard to program for the two sizes as long as you are smart enough to make sure you do your graphics in vectors.

15. darster Suspended

Too many people are assuming the 5C or whatever is going to be marketed for US consumers. The real money is in China and India where the smartphone market is in it's infancy. The western markets are becoming less and less profitable. If the phone sells well in the west, well that's just a plus for Apple. The big push to sell will be in China. If they get get a decent foothold over the next 10 years in that market, their stock will once again recover.

16. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i find it hilarious how LTE is more efficient yet carriers are trying to force people onto tiered plans and cite data usage as the reason

no wonder my VZ stock reached an all time record high this summer

17. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

China Mobile is going LTE, as their in-house version of 3G has been a dead end. Fewer than 20% of the carrier's subscribers have upgraded to 3G, due to poor performance compared to standard 3G. And since Apple needs to cut a deal with them, even if Apple did a special model to support the legacy network, I can't see selling a device that wouldn't support the new one.

18. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

iPhone 5C is basically going to be an iPhone 5 in a plastic case.

19. cynics macrumors G3

If there is such a rumored device I totally agree with you.

----------------

I find it unlikely that a cheaper version of the iPhone would only be marketed to certain countries from American based Apple.

I also think it will hurt premium product sales worldwide. It will need to have a higher profit margin to make it worthwhile.

20. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I disagree. The people who have the money will put down on the iPhone 5S. iPhone 5S will have new features, advanced specs, premium quality. People who do not have the money to put down on iPhone 5S will buy iPhone 5C. iPhone 5C will have colors and affordable price.

21. pmau macrumors 65816

I'd like a high end 5S, but I have to say I would even consider buying a 5C as a carry phone that I don't care that much about.

But the price difference would have to be significant.

I can imagine that Apple will release the 5C with lower-clocked graphics and less storage to increase battery life and margin.

The Haswell MBA is a good example for that. You want raw power, choose a retina, you want battery life and lower price and mobility, take the air.

I would still consider buying both, because they have different use to them.

But let's wait what Apple comes up with. The main problem is that all the HTC, Galaxy Mini and Droid is so competitive on pricing that Apple has to react somehow...

Also, they want to get rid of the production lines for 4/4S. The glass and metal band is certainly produced in completly different ways than the 5. or even the new 5C.

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

But the target market is clearly not the US. Even if they're selling it there.

If people can't afford a high end smartphone (i.e. iPhone 5), what makes you think they're desperate for a mid range smartphone with LTE?

It just doesn't add up.

23. cynics macrumors G3

This might be true however the post immediately after yours is what I'm talking about. Seems he can afford the 5S but maybe interested in the 5C.

I'm the same way, I plan on getting the 5S but the less expensive alternative has me interested. I wrap a phone in a plastic case so I don't care what the housing is made of. I have a life proof case on my phone now and I've literally touched and seen my iPhone 5-6 times outside it in over a year.

The reason I'd want the 5S is if it has some awesome useful feature set the 5C doesn't get. If the software is the same I'll get the 5C and save some money.

24. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

There's no reason they need to have only one version. If they are going after developing markets, they could have versions there that don't make it into developed markets at all.

But I agree with you that they will have an LTE version. Places to save costs in a version for developed markets would be the screen, camera, case/design, possibly battery life. I actually think it would be a mistake to reduce performance, at least in a developed-market version-- this device doesn't run professional apps; it is more about running simple-to-use apps, some of which may employ performance-demanding algorithms under the hood.

25. ajt1995 thread starter macrumors 6502

It drives me crazy... hopefully Sprint and T-mobile step up their game, and become competitive, in which case, ATT and Verizon will lower their prices?