I find that some of the smartest people in the world can not deal with a Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by henry2, Jan 10, 2011.

1. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

I Work with some of the smartest people in the world at times and also some of the dumbest people also at times and they are many times smarter than i will ever be in this world but the same time i do not understand how someone who can be that smart can not deal with the simple facts of the how and why apple ipad was never design to work for the socalled tech freaks of the world instead it was design for the general public to use in there life .

Today after lunch we where waiting for the bus to come and pick up to take us as a group to area for a test and hanging out in the lounge area of our liveing quaters and people got on the subect of apple and the ipad and how it never be a real table used in work because of apple will never let there products features out on a unit all at once and yes there is that one egghead who thinks that apple does this on standard rule of the upgrade to get the best next generation apple product that going to cost more money spent on the product

i bought up the fact that the ipad was never design for a tech person it was design from the ground up for the non computer user type of people out there to have a device as all around device for them to have get on and off the internet and do the basic services that most of the home computer does in there house and the MP3 player that they have in there homes or when traveling .. ..

there is some of the people in the room waiting there who have triple degrees in the room giveing me the stangest looks like Steve Jobs and Apple whould never bring out a product to sale to the non computer user of the computer world.

so do belive that apple bought out the ipad more as a person who did not have some of the basic computer knowage to use the ipad as a way to surf the internet and do other stuff or it was the going down the pathway of the future tablet devices ..

me i belive it was design for the socalled non tech user of the computer world..

2. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

We are all different and that what makes us (humans) interesting. Some very smart people are smart down a very narrow field. You get them off their area of expertise and some are actually quite ignorant.

Don't forget that being smart doesn't mean that you are wise or that you have common sense.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

Well said. I once had a professor who was extremely smart at what he did - computer science; yet, he failed to understand how a simple projector could be put into standby mode from on or complete shut down more from on.

4. henry2 thread starter macrumors regular

henry2

you guys are both right in that area and at times when i sit and explain how something is going to work at times i have to turn to someone who both smart and can speak there langauge at times in the test at times..

we have this joke at work about the stargate and how it would work thinking and how it can be done with the propler knowage of the system that could be bult to go between the distant world that are out there with gates to go from one planet to another planet and then we have the ones who goes it not going to work type group who can not get some of the basic thinking involved at the time how to power the gate and keep the worm hole stablized for the time need for travel ..

when explaining the stargate program to someone who is very smart and who is not very smart the ones who can get the way the program should work do not have a problem but the ones who are super smart can never understand the basic idea of is there life on other planets and how we could get back and forth to them useing a stargate to travel

the reason why i say the stargate program i have a poster with the stargate on it with both teams of the stargate series saying belive in the gate and that started the whole running joke about the can it be done ..

most of the socalled great minds in Nasa can not get the fact that could be a gate program in another area of space that is used for travel and they say it can not be done and done safety enought for travel

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Slightly OT: [Food For Thought] When most people say someone is smart what they mean is that they have a good memory.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I thought Steve Jobs was the smartest man in the world :cool:

7. henry2, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011

henry2 thread starter macrumors regular

henry2

i never claim to be a smart person and iam one of the few people who understand how the prototype is be used in the field and how the end user the is going to use the unit ..

plus if i try to get the socalled super smart eggheads to think way a that is not even in there realm of thinking and you bring up the fact that the end user person is going to be a grunt in some far off land and they are really hard on a unit and it going to get banged up and beat on and it not going to be treat with loveing respect that they do here ..

they are the ones who has to carry it and they are the ones who are going to operate it in places where there is a not a tech standing by to help with fixing of the problem right then and there ..

so it has to work right the first time and every time when it put togerther to made to it job ..

when i bring up a question sometimes about the prototype and a couple of times doing a test and they go why do you ask that question and then go on without answering the question and when the military guys ask the same question and they try to b.s. the military guys with some big answer and they go it got to work with a person 18 years old when starting out in the military ..

8. MadGoat, Jan 10, 2011

MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I consider myself quite smart in the ways of technology, but not in anyway a grammatically proficient person. That being said. I like the form factor of the iPad and it's functionality. Once you get past the fact that it's not really designed to be a hobby tablet, with the case open 24/7 and a hard drive sitting on the floor beside it. But , it's supposed to be a tool that you use as is to get tasks done in a simple fashion. That I'm ok with.

What kind of work do you do henry2?

9. nastebu, Jan 10, 2011

nastebu macrumors 6502

I'm not a genius, but I do have an ivy phd, so that makes me one of the "egg heads." And I have *no* idea what you're talking about.

The problem certainly might be your egghead friends are too mentally balkanized to understand something outside their field.

10. thelookingglass, Jan 10, 2011

thelookingglass macrumors 68000

We all have an opinion about Apple's product release and marketing strategies, but I don't think the OP's colleagues were that far off base. To me, it's plainly evident that they don't put all the latest and greatest into every single release. Apple does not compete on the basis of building products with the highest specs (case in point: latest MBAs). That's never been their MO from either a product development or a marketing perspective.

I also disagree with the OP that the iPad is primarily targeted at non-tech consumers. I don't think that's how Apple would characterize it either. That particular segment might be one of many targets, but I think Apple is focused more on the developing trends regarding mobile devices and our interaction with those devices. This applies to people of all shapes and sizes (and IQs).

11. henry2 thread starter macrumors regular

henry2

if you in the northern Neveda area and listening to the pilots talk on the radio from the area and you hear the call sign HillBilly that would me on the radio .

12. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

lol what? This has nothing to do with Apple or the iPad.

13. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

In the real world, yes out there... if you say that iPad is a great device, 9 out of 10 people will say it sucks, something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xyLqaggUxU

If you come to these forums and say that iPad sucks (because of the reasons we all have heard thousands of times, Flash, not standalone, not enough "computer like" etc etc), 9 out of 10 people will call you a troll. So basically 90% of people are trolls. :D

This is just my experience bringing up iPad in public conversation. My opinion is that it is a potential device, but not great at the moment.

People are funny though. :p

14. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Well, in the real world that I live in, if I went out the door now and talked to random people about the iPad then the majority of them would say something along the lines of "what's that then?" or "I've heard of them, but haven't used it", or more likely "isn't that the big iPhone?"

I can assure you that 9 out of 10 who know it and have used it won't say that it sucks.

15. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Well isn´t it basically the same thing when these people say "it´s just a big iPhone", they mean that it sucks?

I can assure you that "in my real world" Apple doesn´t have a very good reputation, especially after the release of iPad.

Many times when I started a conversation about it in the real world, I was the one being laughed at defending the iPad. But here if I take the opposite stand and criticise the shortcomings of the iPad, I get laughed at and called a troll. But of course people here in this forum are something like "0,001%" from the real world. So I guess people in the real world are all trolls. :D

Same thing could be said about Mac computers too.

But again, people are funny. :p

16. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

That's a hell of an assumption. It actually means that they haven't used it, so can't give an opinion on whether it sucks or not.

I'm not denying that lots of people don't like the iPad, but 9 out of 10? No way.

17. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Well the general percentage is of course anyone´s guess, that´s why I stated my experience in my real world.

But most of the people "in my real world" are technology freaks and definitely know what the iPad is.

18. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

And that is the reason why your sample is anything but the real world.

19. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

You mean this Youtube clip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xyLqaggUxU

No, that´s actually quite accurate what people think about the iPad in the real world. Well maybe not in so obnoxious/funny way (anyway you want to look at it), but the criticism is there.

20. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Just goes to prove, that you can't teach common sense. You can have academics up the wazoo, but in some cases, that don't mean ******. :D

21. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

No, I mean the fact that your sample is made up of technology freaks, as indicated by the part of your message that I quoted.

That isn't exactly a representative sample to base views of technology on.

22. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Sample?

My real world has lots of different kinds of people. Lot of them are technology freaks and lot of them are "regular people".

I´ve had these iPad conversations with many people in my world. Facebook, parties and so on... The iPad´s reputation isn´t very good in my real world.

23. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Are you using that video to back up your argument? HAHAHA
    That guy's an absolute tool. He's spouting falsehoods and inaccuracies left and right, as well as just missing the entire point of what the iPad is supposed to be.

Once again: Geeks are not the real world. Apple makes products for the real world. Full-functioning tablets running computer OS have existed for decades. They don't work. People DON'T want them, regardless of what geeks thinks.

And if your sample people hold Apple in lower esteem because of the iPad... well, then they're just stereotypical geeks, ignoring the forest for the trees. The iPad is a huge success. This is not up for debate. Call it crippled, call it an iToy, do whatever it takes to try and make yourself feel smart, but it's a huge success. Everyone else is trying to catch up now. Will others catch up? Of course. But don't stand there for a moment and pretend that the iPad isn't what they're emulating. Apple changed the game, once again.

24. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Yes, your real world, one in which, by your own admission, most of the people are technology freaks.

That isn't the case in the actual real world you know.

By the way, thanks for the YouTube link. One of the best laughs I've had in a while.

25. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

No, he's my hero now. I've seen the light and hope that he has more valuable insights as to what I should like or not.

However, I fear that someone has probably released another product that has made him so angry that he's spontaneously combusted just at the thought of it.