I forgot my phone.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Aug 23, 2013.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It's just evolution in action. What you're seeing in the compulsive need to be connected are just the first signs of the impending hive mind. Your descendants will be assimilated.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I wouldn't go that far. We're not integrating into one collective whole (at least not yet), just socializing across larger distances.

But I will say that people who text and talk while hanging out with me is quickly becoming one of my biggest pet peeves. It annoys me to no end when I'm talking to someone while they're sitting there, looking down at their phones, going "uh huh, uh huh" while I'm try to hold a goddamn conversation. "Oh, I'm listening". THEN MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH ME YOU DUMB BASTARD, I'M NOT TALKING TO THE TOP OF YOUR IDIOT HEAD! Even worse are people who will interrupt a group conversation when they get a call. They won't walk off and let the rest of us talk. Oh no. They'll stand there right in front of all of us with their index finger held up, then get pissy when we're talking too loud. I mean I could understand if it were an important phone call, but it's always "nuh UH! NO WAY! THE HELL YOU SAY" gossip crap. They're just talking to someone else instead of us, and expecting us to give them courtesy to be rude.

I can understand it happening once or twice. It's when it happens over and over and over again that it starts getting on my nerves. I've gotten to the point that, with some of the worst offenders, I'll start threatening to break phones or smack heads if they spend more than 30 seconds answering texts.

See, I treat texts like an email, and almost always let calls go to voice mail when I'm out and about with other people. The most I'll do is check to see who called, then put it right back in my pocket. Talking to people on the phone is something you do when you're at the house, or when it's of the utmost importance. I don't expect people to tolerate me putting them on hold when they're right in front of me, and I don't expect people to do it to me.

4. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

What I hate is when someone has a really loud ringtone refuses to answer it or silent it. They just stare at the phone and just let it ring and ring until it goes to voicemail.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I have mixed feelings about this. Generally, I agree with you, but if there's a large conversation at a table, it's okay if one person checks out for a few moments to answer a text.

Maybe it's because we're all workaholics who have kids, but when we're out, the assumption is, we're getting a text from a spouse about the kids or our editors and either way we need to respond. A text is far less annoying than a phone call, IMHO.

That said, in a two person conversation. It's okay to put the phone down or apologize and say, I need to take this.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That's understandable. What I'm talking about are people who carry on completely pointless, not at all important conversation with someone else on their phone in front of someone else. Someone who's staring at their screen 40 minutes out of the hour you're talking to them.

Even I will flip a quick text to someone if I need to, at least to inform whoever's texting me that I'm busy, and will get back to them later. What I won't do is spend an extended amount of time talking to another person while someone is standing in front of me. Or, even worse, I won't go over to someone else's house, sit down on their couch, then spend the majority of my time there replying to Facebook messages and taking calls. I've got three friends who do that regularly, and it drives me up the freaking wall.

The way I see it, if you're gonna spend 90% your time texting people or posting inane crap on Facebook rather than talking to the people standing in the same room as you, why'd you even leave the house?

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I have a friend who is addicted to Instagram. She's always on her phone whether she's driving, at a club, or out for coffee - it's ridiculous.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Couldn't agree more. It's down right bad manors. Sort got to go my mate in the pub looks peaved! :D

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I've always taken a more productive approach to having a phone. I don't do Facebook, no Twitter, no e-mail, no texting, and only taking photos when there's something remotely interesting.

Because yeah, it's stupid to be chatting to the world, and leaving the person in front of you in silent.

10. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Have any of you been on a college campus recently?

I've seen a few people walk into poles, other people, trees, bikes, et cetera...

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think it's kinda funny actually.

Personally I would be bored to tears without a phone.

Also, if someone would rather play on their phone than give you attention, it means you are not stimulating mentally or physically. In the old days people would pretend to be interested, but now they have social media to compensate for your banality.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Funny thing about text messages is that they are still there hours later. If someone just has to text back right now, they are saying that this here text exchange is more important than the irl person in front of them.

13. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

+1

Maybe this is something the person ought to ponder

14. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

We have a "no phones at the table" policy to compensate for us being so boring. We actually have conversations with eye contact and stuff, boring as it is. The day my friend decides that I'm so boring they have to check Facebook during a conversation is the day I've decided that friend isn't worth my time.

15. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

It's OK to force boredom on your friends, we've been doing it for thousands of years.

16. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I think a lot of it is competitive conditioning gone too far: The sooner you respond to events in cyberspace, the higher your status in your virtual peer group. You know the folks who race to post "First!" (and nothing else) in a "hot" thread here? Same thing.

Likely driven by insecurity.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a cousin who was updating her Facebook status with how dilated she was while giving birth. Now that's obsessive. Sadly, it's also probably one of the least crazy things she's done.

18. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well you can over-do it too and then people think there is something wrong with you. My brother and I used to have a Facebook friend and she would always comment immediately on anything and everything. If you posted something no matter the time... there she would be. Believe me if you over-do it people do start to wonder.