I forgot my wallet and only had my iPhone 6 plus - how do you think I did?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Radio, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Radio, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

Radio macrumors 68000

i was in downtown Davis California.

Many small shops and restaurants. Even a Starbucks.

How did I do?

Zero.zilch. Nada

None of the businesses had nfc readers and many were perplexed on what apple pay was.

Even starbucks doesn't have the readers.

Who bailed me out?

PayPal! I refilled my starbucks card via PayPal and bought lunch and coffee.

After a 60 mile bike ride I know better.

Lesson learned apple pay isn't there yet.

2. Q Bert macrumors regular

Q Bert

3. ttmrn macrumors regular

even if i were to go to starbucks, i wld still use my starbucks card[via my passbook]

so i dont know what u're rambling abt starbucks for. starbucks didnt do anything to u.

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Why didn't you just go to the panera or subway about a block away from the starbucks?

[​IMG]

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So you weren't able to buy lunch with Apple pay and it's "all hype"? I don't even use Apple pay and I find that conclusion ridiculous. You are right that it will take years for Apple pay to be accepted everywhere. There are still places (many, in fact) around here that only take cash.

6. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Interestingly I'm finding more and more small businesses trying to give the finger to the card companies/banks and now taking cash/checks only. It seems to have started only in the past few months. Who knows maybe a movement is beginning? Not sure. Is anyone else seeing this where they live?

7. wxman2003 Suspended

Always Carry a 20 in your pocket. Not that uncomfortable.

8. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

It could be worse...Every local store I use has NFC and thus apple pay facilities, my favourite local eateries all have NFC terminals, my local public transport has NFC terminals and I own a 6 plus.....I can't use Apple pay because it hasn't been rolled out in my country yet.
    Guess I'll be waving my card at the terminals for some time yet.

9. philipk macrumors 6502

I love these "all hype" stupid comments.

Consider the following negatives (in the U.S.)

Apple pay is new

There is considerable kickback from retailers who don't like credit cards

There has been a decade fight by retailers against chip and pin or even chip and sign.

There has been a multi-year fight by retailers against NFC

There has been no real player in NFC arena until Apple Pay

Now consider the positives.

The banks want to keep control

The banks will shift fraud reimbursements to retailers Oct 2015 unless they use the chip or NFC

The rest of the world is using chip and NFC

In time the merchants will have to cave in or lose credit cards.

Who do you think will win in the long run?

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Most useless thread ever. If you really wanted to try it out you could have downloaded nearby app and saved yourself the embarrassment of posting this.

11. davedvdy macrumors regular

Apple Pay is a mobile payment system that is in it's complete infancy. What do you expect?
    Paypal is a payment system that came around 1998, you do the math. It's really not a fair comparison.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Is there a "duh" face? Is this the closest one? :rolleyes:

I guess that will have to do.

Congratulations on figuring out the obvious.

13. redman042 macrumors 68020

Are you serious? Apple Pay has been out for TWO WEEKS. It's gonna take a year or more to become widespread. Give it time.

14. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

you want a cookie or something for proving it was all hype?

If you downloaded the MasterCard Nearby app.... maybe you would have found someplace that had NFC....

15. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Apple pay will take some time to grow. Not everybody has the required hardware and the number of potential Apple pay customers will only go up from here.

16. Zxxv Suspended

why do so many apple users get a hard on or nipple errection from going into shops and declaring apple pay upon the world? its just NFC for **** sake. Stop acting stupid.

17. urda Suspended

urda

Yup, that's the entire point of this OP's post.

18. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

So negative to the OP.

If the OP had been successful and Apple Pay had saved his day, people here would be clapping and praising how Apple Pay is a life saver!

LOL!

19. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Isn't Oct. 2015 the target date for majority merchants to utilize NFC or alternate payment methods to avoid fraud liability?

If so, it's obvious it won't take years.

20. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

The problem is the OP is making it sound like they were completely out of luck and Apple Pay left them hanging, but as I posted earlier there were two restaurants within a 5 minute walk from the starbucks they were at that are known Apple Pay supporters.

I was in the exact same situation once back when I had my Nexus 5. I had just been playing sports for the last few hours and I was starving but realized I had forgot my wallet, but instead of just randomly going in places and hoping they took NFC I went to a restaurant I knew took it and my phone did save the day. Even if I hadn't been able to find a place to eat that day I wouldn't have made a whiney post on a Nexus forum talking about what a failure google wallet was.

21. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

We will never get NFC here still using paper credit slips most stores don't take credit of any kind unless you're family checks are what works in small town America

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

No. Oct 2015 is the target for when liability falls on acquirers who don't accept chip-based payments (aka EMV). The acquirers will likely push liability to the merchants (can't imagine they wouldn't). Essentially whoever hasn't updated gets the liability. If the customer presents an EMV card and the merchant can only accept a swipe, merchant(acquirer) is liable for fraud. If the customer presents a non-EMV card and the merchant can accept EMV, the issuer (bank) is liable.

NFC is just riding along since many/most EMV terminals include NFC hardware. The capability should increasingly appear as merchants change out terminals and POS systems. While a basic EMV terminal isn't very expensive, costs would add up when dealing with the larger screen POS system with integrated card swipe. Whether NFC will be enabled or not is another matter entirely.

BTW, fuel retailers get an extra two years, with an Oct 2017 deadline for liability shift.

23. Hank3rd macrumors member

I went to a McDonald's that I know accepts Apple Pay, but I went through the drive through. I asked if they accept AP and the lady said yes.....then there was an awkward 15-20 seconds as I was waiting for her to put the reader out the window. I finally said, "Don't you have to have me place my phone near your reader?". She said that it was bolted down on the inside. So at this point, I said forget it and handed her my card. LOL

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First, stop telling people you want to pay with ApplePay, no one cares. It is NFC and nothing more. Apple just branded this BS because that is what they do. Second, you forgot your wallet? Go home and get it, like an adult. Finally, ApplePay, aka NFC, is hardly hype. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it is hype. NFC has been around and working well out side the US for quite some time. There is a world out there, you know?