Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El_Walterino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
aFHZSWC.jpg
[/IMG]The fans in my macbook were running a little loud so I took the bottom off to see what was going on and try and clean them. This is the first time I have ever taken the bottom off since I bought it new. When I took it off, I noticed the dime in there. Any thoughts? I feel like if it had gone in through CD drive it would be on the other side of the strip, since I can still physically put discs in there.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 819
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 885
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 803

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
From the pictures, it seems like the dime is inside of the sealing tape around the Hard Disk.

Was this purchased as refurbished, or from a private seller, by any chance?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That's a known thing in laptop's slot loading optical drives. It's often American coins, but Canadian coins have been found as well. The coin's purpose is unknown, but does not impact the drive's ability. I personally have found a few of these "coin drives" in the many machines I've had to service.

Reactions: steve62388

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
That's a known thing in laptop's slot loading optical drives. It's often American coins, but Canadian coins have been found as well. The coin's purpose is unknown, but does not impact the drive's ability. I personally have found a few of these "coin drives" in the many machines I've had to service.

I've never found any change in any of the laptops I've repaired... must be in the thousands... (geek squad repair tech for 3 years..)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sounds like somebody watched an episode of dirty tricks, where auto repairmen would install washers on strings inside annoying customer's car doors.

Along with other methods for creating annoying sounds, that magically disappear during test drives and immediately reappear when the customer leaves.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I've never found any change in any of the laptops I've repaired... must be in the thousands... (geek squad repair tech for 3 years..)

Not all the machines are the same on the inside. I've been doing repairs since the PowerPC days. The "coin drives" came in small waves for me. Haven't had one in a few years.

Sounds like somebody watched an episode of dirty tricks, where auto repairmen would install washers on strings inside annoying customer's car doors.

Along with other methods for creating annoying sounds, that magically disappear during test drives and immediately reappear when the customer leaves.

There are other reports of coins in optical drives. Use a search engine and you'll see other examples, a few are from MacRumors.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I find it extremely pathetic and disheartening when fellow forumers practically condemn someone like OP for sharing an unorthodox finding. Accept that the "impossible" may very well be possible. Jeez.
Agree. That coin is clearly sealed in the plastic wrapped around the super drive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've heard of this before, though I don't remember where and when but it does vaguely ring a bell.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Not all the machines are the same on the inside. I've been doing repairs since the PowerPC days. The "coin drives" came in small waves for me. Haven't had one in a few years.

There are other reports of coins in optical drives. Use a search engine and you'll see other examples, a few are from MacRumors.

This is true I remember the mysterious "Dimes" showing up over the years here. Pity we will likely never know who or more interestingly why, certainly a conundrum...

Q-6

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Interesting. I wonder if this was some sort of simple method of damping out vibration in some of the optical drives that were slightly noisier than desired? Simple, effective and cheap!

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
Is the currency USD? All of the Apple laptops are assembled in China....
If it were an iMac, I could understand, since some of those are assembled here in the US.

Strange...

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
I find it extremely pathetic and disheartening when fellow forumers practically condemn someone like OP for sharing an unorthodox finding. Accept that the "impossible" may very well be possible. Jeez.

My post may have seemed off putting but I was really just sharing my own findings, which don't line up with this, admittedly strange (from anyones perspective) item of interest. A coin sealed inside the optical drive, appearing to be partially structural? I've seen some weird fixes before, like Toyota's 'unattended acceleration shims' but this pretty much takes the cake.

Xoriu

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
im curious, Did you ever find the answer? I just opened my sister's and found the same thing! I thought possibly my nephews had somehow put it in there, but there is no way it would end up where it is. looks identical to your pictures, sealed in the tape and all. did you just leave it there?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
im curious, Did you ever find the answer? I just opened my sister's and found the same thing! I thought possibly my nephews had somehow put it in there, but there is no way it would end up where it is. looks identical to your pictures, sealed in the tape and all. did you just leave it there?
I highly doubt you will get a response from the OP - he has been active in the forum since the day after he posted this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.