I found a dime coin sealed in my laptop when I took the bottom off. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by El_Walterino, Sep 3, 2015.

1. El_Walterino macrumors newbie

[​IMG][/IMG]The fans in my macbook were running a little loud so I took the bottom off to see what was going on and try and clean them. This is the first time I have ever taken the bottom off since I bought it new. When I took it off, I noticed the dime in there. Any thoughts? I feel like if it had gone in through CD drive it would be on the other side of the strip, since I can still physically put discs in there.

Attached Files:

2. xsdeus macrumors regular

From the pictures, it seems like the dime is inside of the sealing tape around the Hard Disk.

Was this purchased as refurbished, or from a private seller, by any chance?

3. El_Walterino thread starter macrumors newbie

4. newellj macrumors 603

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

It is a bonus tip. Your laptop price was just reduced by a dime. :D

6. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

Hmm. Seems like somebody is pulling somebody's leg.

7. El_Walterino thread starter macrumors newbie

It was under the plastic coating. I just noticed it when i took the bottom off to clean the fans. It was under the sealed part

8. El_Walterino thread starter macrumors newbie

I honestly didn't create an account on this site just to make such a vanilla joke. I'm legit curious about why this was under the factory seal.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's a known thing in laptop's slot loading optical drives. It's often American coins, but Canadian coins have been found as well. The coin's purpose is unknown, but does not impact the drive's ability. I personally have found a few of these "coin drives" in the many machines I've had to service.

10. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

I've never found any change in any of the laptops I've repaired... must be in the thousands... (geek squad repair tech for 3 years..)

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sounds like somebody watched an episode of dirty tricks, where auto repairmen would install washers on strings inside annoying customer's car doors.

Along with other methods for creating annoying sounds, that magically disappear during test drives and immediately reappear when the customer leaves.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not all the machines are the same on the inside. I've been doing repairs since the PowerPC days. The "coin drives" came in small waves for me. Haven't had one in a few years.

There are other reports of coins in optical drives. Use a search engine and you'll see other examples, a few are from MacRumors.

13. Hypnosis macrumors member

I find it extremely pathetic and disheartening when fellow forumers practically condemn someone like OP for sharing an unorthodox finding. Accept that the "impossible" may very well be possible. Jeez.

14. JackieInCo Suspended

Agree. That coin is clearly sealed in the plastic wrapped around the super drive.

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've heard of this before, though I don't remember where and when but it does vaguely ring a bell.

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

This is true I remember the mysterious "Dimes" showing up over the years here. Pity we will likely never know who or more interestingly why, certainly a conundrum...

Q-6

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Interesting. I wonder if this was some sort of simple method of damping out vibration in some of the optical drives that were slightly noisier than desired? Simple, effective and cheap!

19. xsdeus macrumors regular

Is the currency USD? All of the Apple laptops are assembled in China....
    If it were an iMac, I could understand, since some of those are assembled here in the US.

Strange...

20. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Look again.

21. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

My post may have seemed off putting but I was really just sharing my own findings, which don't line up with this, admittedly strange (from anyones perspective) item of interest. A coin sealed inside the optical drive, appearing to be partially structural? I've seen some weird fixes before, like Toyota's 'unattended acceleration shims' but this pretty much takes the cake.

22. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Looks like the drive and dime have the same date on it, whatever that means.

23. Xoriu macrumors newbie

im curious, Did you ever find the answer? I just opened my sister's and found the same thing! I thought possibly my nephews had somehow put it in there, but there is no way it would end up where it is. looks identical to your pictures, sealed in the tape and all. did you just leave it there?

24. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I highly doubt you will get a response from the OP - he has been active in the forum since the day after he posted this.