I found the iPhone 5 in today's New York Times!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Virgo, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Virgo, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

It's in an ad for magazines on page B3. What do you guys think? Is this it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Agreed. It looks like a stretched out iPhone 4 to me. Interesting catch though. :)

4. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

OMG!!!!! YEAH THIS IS IT!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YoU FOUND IT!!!!! :rolleyes:

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Interesting...Looks very similar to the photo I found this morning. Can't imagine these people would have pictures of a supposed top secret device. But it is sure fun to speculate!!

Edit..No it doesn't. Upon further review it is a poorly photoshopped iphone 4. Great find though!

Attached Files:

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I don't think it looks like that at all. It's exactly like the iPhone 4. Your picture has a different bottom-left with no gap.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I am going out on a limb and saying this will be almost exactly what we are getting. I just think it looks so close to an Apple design. With just enough re-design to make you fall in love with it all over again.

I love this design. And if that home button is capacitive touch, i'll love it even more.

Attached Files:

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Yeah, I know...At first glance it looked similar. I dropped an edit in my post once I did a quick comparison. :eek:

9. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

I thought of that possibility as well, but it looks like the top edge has tapering.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I do not think this is it.

11. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

That is nice looking. Kudos to whoever came up with it. I especially like the bevelled edge on the midframe as it looks like it would eliminate the ledge between the midframe and the screen border where dirt can accumulate on the iPhone 4.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

That's funny...I was thinking the exact same thing. It also gives the illusion that the phone is thinner then it actually is. Another Apple-esque design feature (ipad2's tapered edge was intentionally put there to give the illusion it was thinner then it was) More reason that I believe that this might be close to the real deal.

We all shall see very, very soon.....Hopefully!:confused:

13. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

14. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

Seriously. The iPhone 5 was not just printed in some random ad in the NY Times. NY Times knows nothing about the iPhone 5 and neither do we until it gets announced.

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The ad designers probably try to keep up to date with the latest tech news as much as they can in order to design ads that stay "relevant" and look fresh. So given the rumored specs and whatnot, it's no surprise that a designer might render their own version of what they think the next iPhone may be.

So in this case, they probably heard of the possibilities of a larger redesigned iPhone 5. They use their imagination a bit, do some weak photoshopping and make a wider iPhone for their ad.

Boom. You have this.

16. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Hardly.

Any other month of the year people would think rationally and come to the obvious conclusion that it's a poorly rendered iPhone 4...

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I agree with you that this month is different and there is a possibility that an iPhone stretched to unusual dimensions might be mistaken for a rumored new iPhone that is puported to have larger dimensions.

Personally, in the context of the add it's as if they made it to look like an iPad (for iOS 5 Newsstand?).

18. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Why does everyone keep calling this a "stretched iPhone 4"?? Not even close. Almost all of it is changed. Sure it closely resembles... but it also follows most rumors. Buttons, ear pieces, etc are all changed. Not close to a "stretched" iPhone 4.

19. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

It was a great find...I highly doubt he was scanning every page of the NY times to find strategically placed iPhone 5 ads. Most people wouldn't have even noticed it was there and scanned right by it. The fact that he even noticed that it was a different looking iPhone device deserves some congratulations. Even if it was terribly photoshopped.

20. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

That's some nasty Photoshop work right there. :eek:

Edit: Reminds me of a rather nasty iPhone-like image I found in a student insurance ad that was sent to me in the post... or is it the iPhone 5?! :p See attached.

Attached Files:

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Start reading from the OP's original post. And yes, it is a POORLY stretched iPhone 4 in the NY Times ad.

22. Dug macrumors newbie

It looks like some type of horribly disfigured iPad. :p

23. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

If you think it was simply stretched, then you're blind. I'm sorry, it's nowhere near JUST stretched. So much is changed. Effort was put into this and it's one of the best mockups I've seen yet.

24. bearsalley34 macrumors member

25. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Ha. What about this is "cropped"?