I gave my MBA a glass of wine and put it to sleep for 4 years. Following a bath it is working..but

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Lynnm4, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Lynnm4 macrumors newbie

So…it's like this: I was working one night using my then new midd 2011 11" 4GB MBA when I knocked over a glass of wine directly on the keyboard. Yes, I panicked and yes it was a good wine. But I turned the computer off, turned it upside down and left it like that for several days. When I tried to start it, to my amazement, it worked perfectly. I used it for a few hours, turned it off…and could not restart it later. A visit to the Apple repair shop was to know avail: "Fried, toasted, toss it".

I laid my little beauty to rest and she slept soundly for four years…until I came across a Youtube video by a chap who washed his computer and resurrected it. Following his instructions, I submerged my MBA in water (the universal solvent), being careful not to submerge the screen, and left it for several hours. I then inverted it for 2 weeks to let it dry and, hey presto, the lovely chime of my reawakened MBA greeted me when I pressed the button!

I gleefully used it for the next few hours, turned it off and had sweet dreams. But, the next morning, dead, Nothing. Phooey. I turned it over and saw straight away the issue - white chalky powder in each screw well - I had failed to remove the battery before the bath and it needed replacement. My MBA still worked on power, so I ordered a new battery and felt hopeful that my little gem would soon be her regular self again.

Installed a new battery..it charged and worked fine for 2 days. On the 3rd day, the battery overheated to the point that the computer was too hot to touch, though the fan never turned on. I can run the computer on power but must detach the battery. The MBA will not start with the battery connected even if plugged into power. The MBA is performing perfectly with the exception of an update issue which is being addressed via another thread with the kind help of "keysofanxiety".

Any ideas what might be wrong?

2. 960design macrumors 68020

I have a few ideas:
    1) Computer was splashed with wine
    2) Computer was submerged in water
    3) Computer is 5 years old
    4) PEBKAC

Welcome to MacRumors... what took you so long?

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Should have used Vodka. That's the universal solvent.
    :D

And who can afford to stick an expensive laptop in a drawer for 4-years?

Seriously....
    Where'd you get the battery? Apple or after-market?
    Have you tried a different one?

4. Lynnm4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the Welcome :) but what's PEBKAC?

Age of the computer should't matter unless it is no longer updatable at the OS level and then there are some workarounds. I have a iPad 1 that has a smashed screen but is still going strong! So I am determined to get my MBA fully operational. It is too expensive a tool - for this mortal at least - to just discard and besides one must triumph over inanimate objects,no, or at least work with them? Isn't there a way to isolate the component(s) that may have suffered irreparable damage and replace them?

What took me so long to get here - well, I have been busy sloshing things at my MBA!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2016 ---
    My MBA landed in the drawer as she had been given last rights by Apple. Agreed, too expensive a tool to put into what I realized after was only suspended animation.

After market battery ordered on Amazon. Could be defective but it charged fully and there is the oddity of it blocking startup when active. This tells me that something else may be in play.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I did not know either. This is what Google showed me for PEBKAC:
    PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

6. 960design macrumors 68020

The age of the computer relates, in my mind, to the value of attempting repair. Time is a non recoverable commodity. The combination of time and money spent on five year old tech seems wasteful to me. But I see that you might be taking this as a hobby challenge.

Future ideas:
    1) Turn upside down immediately
    2) Let drain completely
    3) Take computer apart
    4) Clean with isopropyl alcohol ( not water ).
    5) Pray to what ever god you may and / or may not believe in.
    6) Turn it on after letting dry completely ( like 48 hours later ).

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

The thread starter seems to live in Europe, where Macbooks are more expensive than in USA, but not anything like the cost of a Macbook in Brazil. Anyway, when some commenters say it's not worth repairing his Mac, they must bear in mind that it can be worth repairing by a non-USA resident perspective.

8. Lynnm4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this comment brdeveloper.

You are correct. My MBA cost the equivalent of 1500 USD when I bought it in Europe
    But even if the price had been 1USD, why throw out technology that suits its purpose? At least donate it.

My original post was written with humour in mind. What some commenters failed to recognise is that I got my MBA to work using my method. Updated the OS from 10.7 directly to Sierra with the help of someone via another thread and my MBA is good as new. I had replaced the battery with a defective one, now replaced it and hey presto, my MBA is back in service.

All for free.

9. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

10. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

hi There! Although your method worked; and it worked to your great satisfaction; that is why you take it to Apple when that happens . Sincerely; though; nobody likes that to take place to their Mac computers .

11. mijail macrumors 6502

Ah, so it is working finally? Congrats! Does the fan work too?

Washing with water is actually not a problem for the electronics themselves. I worked for some years in a company where we produced our own boards, and one of the last steps at manufacturing was washing them, in a common sink.

Now, the mechanical parts (fans, keys, connectors), optical parts (lenses, displays) and of course batteries... are a different matter. They can get corroded, or get dirty, or short.

Since you said that the fan failed to work, and that there was powdery residue after the water bath, I guessed that maybe the same residue gunked up the fan?

Also, are you positive that the battery was just defective? Or maybe it overheated because of a non-working fan?

12. Lynnm4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Mijail, thank you for your reply. Good question. Here is an overview of symptoms in answer to your question.

Computer starts and functions correctly when using electricity cable without battery connected.
    Computer initially started and functioned correctly when new battery was installed but become hot to the touch after only a few minutes and the fan did not come on.the
    Currently, the computer wîll not start all if the battery is plugged in and the electrical cable is plugged in. It will start if the battery is not plugged in but the electricity cable is plugged in. The computer does not overheat when energised via the electricity cable.

All the best,
    Lynn

13. mijail macrumors 6502

Does the fan work in this case?

A guess: either the battery or its related, computer-side electronics are dead and are causing a short-circuit. Was there any smoke, any smell? If you open the computer, look carefully to see if anything seems burnt somehow.

Anyway, probably it's too late for the battery and/or the electronics in charge of it.

If I understood correctly your previous posts, you said that there were 2 batteries involved. Is this the first battery that you said was defective, or a new one?

Keeps sounding like something is shorted when the battery is plugged in.

Things you could try:
    • Install the current battery, plug the power cable and try to start up. As you said it will not work, BUT pay close attention to feel/smell if something is getting hot. If what gets hot is the battery, then MAYBE getting a new one would help. However, trying to get a Lithium battery hot is a BAD idea.
    • Install a new / known-good battery to see what happens, but it's possible that this new battery will also get destroyed. Not sure it's worth it.
    • Probably a service point would have tools to at least tell you whether a new battery would work.

Also, it can't hurt to reset the SMC, since that's the heart of the power management, so maybe that'll change something.

Again: if you have any suspicion about the Lithium battery gone bad, don't play with it. I'd get rid of it ASAP, literally. Take it somewhere where they can dispose of it appropriately.

14. Lynnm4 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK! Thanks for your detailed comments and advice!!!!

15. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

I think this is the loveliest tech support ticket I've ever read.

16. mijail macrumors 6502

You can, of course, but there is the risk that it will get fried too.

Anyway, batteries get old and eventually die even if you don't use them. So, if that battery is not having an useful life anyway, you could as well risk it. When you connect it, pay close attention in case you hear/see/smell/feel anything. Small spark, strange smell, some part getting hot fast.

(Once more: Lithium batteries can be dangerous. Don't play games with them. If one is suspected bad, get rid of it.)

17. bennyf macrumors regular

bennyf

I wouldn't rule out that with an OS update, minor or major, Apple introduced a new battery microcode/firmware check preventing non-approved batteries. Just a thought and not based on any actual knowledge of such a check existing. If so, it would help explain strangeness of why the battery worked and then quit. The suggestion that the battery has a short is probably more likely.

18. mijail, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

mijail macrumors 6502

UPDATED: Originally I posted a facepalm, but actually bennyf has a point, even if it falls in the paranoic side of things. I believe Apple's batteries or computers don't do that kind of check, but I don't *know*, and Apple has done pretty ****-headed things regarding for example their SuperDrives' petty firmware checks. So ... who knows.

19. Domen151 macrumors regular

Hm I just checked the prices in Brazil after reading your post and holy crap! 3000€+ for base 13’ MBP (without Touch Bar)! o_O Here it’s 1800€ and I find it expensive for what you get.

20. Lynnm4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your thoughts bennyf...I will order an Apple approved battery and see what happens...
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the tip mijail!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2016 ---
    :) Thank you Pootmatoot

21. bennyf macrumors regular

bennyf

Since Apple doesn't want their Superdrives used on non-Apple hardware, similarly spec'd replacement harddrives go crazy if not purchased from Apple, it's really just consistent with Apple's way of doing things. I've had laptops that updated their battery firmware before. Printers check the cartridges... Apple doesn't want to blamed for someone putting a vindictive Samsung battery in their laptop and it blowing up....and the battery itself being the culprit is by far the simplest explanation (whether due to firmware or not) for the original poster's issues. It's also one the easiest potential causes to rule out. Although probably not the cheapest given Apple parts prices.

All that aside, I buy about 15-20 laptop batteries a year at work and have repeatedly tried non-OEM when the originals were out of stock or insanely expensive. Had about a 75%+ failure rate on no-name's (meaning lasted less than year --many less than a week), so the advice to buy from the manufacturer is good even if my posted reason was admittedly facepalm-worthy.

22. mijail macrumors 6502

I have to say that I didn't know of that story (holy ****!). Yes, this brings some other light into the subject...