I get a poor signal any time I am in an arena or stadium..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, May 27, 2009.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Any time I'm in a large venue, I can't connect to any websites, and Facebook and Twitter both error out quite frequently.

I get mostly Edge coverage even though I have a 3G, and sometimes even though I'm "connected", I can't load pages period.

Any ideas??
    Is it just due to the amount of people in a confined area?

2. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I get the exact same problem on my iPhone 3G everytime I go to the Emirates Stadium. Full 3G reception but unable to connect to the Internet.

I thought it might be down to network. I have noticed others successfully use their non iPhones to go on the web but they may not be on O2.

3. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

That would be my best guess as well. This happened when I went to the Chargers v. Colts playoff game @ Qualcomm (60,000+), the Dodgers v. Angels game this weekend @ Dodger Stadium (56,000) & every Laker game I've been to (19,000), not to mention all the employees of the arena & stadium there. Probably a tower bandwidth overload w/ so many cellular devices trying to access the same towers.

4. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I was also at the Chargers vs. Colts game earlier in the year and my phone was useless for 4 hours, but my buddies with Verizon had no problems getting on the internet right next to me.

5. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I never had the problem w/ Sprint. It's kind of a pain, but whatever, I can deal with it.

I was mainly curious to see if it was happening to anyone else.

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Happens to me in extremely busy places too (I.E. football matches).

7. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I agree... "Probably a tower bandwidth overload w/ so many cellular devices trying to access the same towers."

8. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

It's because most sports stadiums and arenas have cell sites inside the stadiums themselves. Problem is, when the antennas get loaded to maximum capacity, the phones keep trying to connect instead of connecting to a cell site outside the stadium.

9. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

But does anyone have a clue why, according to what's posted above, it only happens to AT&T? Is it GSM in general because no one said anything about T-mobile. I never had a problem with both Sprint (4 years ago) and Verizon (2 years ago) but have problems with AT&T now. :mad:

10. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

hopefully AT&t is adding more 850 sites in your area. since 850 is a lower frequency it penetrates buildings more efficiently

11. calvy macrumors 65816

They have more customers.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I had no trouble in a 3,000-seat soccer stadium last year, but it was quite open (a field and two sets of stands) and near probably the biggest frickin' intersection in the state.

I seem to remember having call trouble with other phones in big venues like that. Probably just a thing with all that concrete, metal, and human stench around.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats what happens when thousands of users overload at the same time a single cellphone tower.
    Most MLB and NFL stadiums experience the same.

14. calvy macrumors 65816

I've experienced this ever since I was a TDMA customer of Southwestern Bell Mobile Systems. Everytime I went to a football game in Austin at the University of Texas, I'd be out of luck in terms of texting and making calls.