I get a shaded 'curtain' come down the screen-then a message saying I must restart

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeeroyG, Jan 5, 2009.

1. LeeroyG macrumors newbie

Hi All

Have always found these board very helpful when I have had a problem and googled it. Unfortunately I now have one of those problems and can't find the answer, hence my post.

I have a MacBook Pro; OS 10.4.11 / 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 3GB RAM

I've started having this problem today. Essentially, the Finder crashes, and browsers crash (Safari and Firefox - both running on the latest updates). Also - I get what I can only describe as a greyed out curtain drop down from the top of the screen to the bottom, and a message saying something along the lines of "Your must restart your Macbook, hold down the power button for a few seconds".

I do so, and it switches off. When I turn back on, there is a message saying OS X shut down unexpectedly, did I want to send a report to Apple.

I opened Disk Utility, and Repaired Disk Permissions. There were some repairs to be made, and it did them. Then I clicked 'Verify Disk' and then 'Repair Disk' - again, there were things needing repair. However, I've tried it twice (see attached screenshots) and I get an error saying it can't complete?

I'm a little concerned, because the only thing I seem to have done different today is click on a link in an email I had from Twitter, saying someone wanted to keep up to date with me, only when I logged in using the link, that person was not in fact following me. Hence I'm a bit concerned it might have been some sort of phishing scam, and has done something to my beloved Mac!

Hope you people can help.

Thanks in advance
    Leeroy

Attached Files:

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

You are going to have to put in your restore discs that came with your computer and run Disk Utility off of that to Repair Disk.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Lockups, kernel panics, fsck not working right....sounds like a flaky install, probably from a failing hard disk. Try, as suggested, booting from the restore disc and repairing from there. If that doesn't work, you can try reinstalling, but that probably won't fix the problem.

4. risenphoenixkai macrumors member

Back up your hard drive NOW, because there's a good chance the one in your MBP is about to go to that great bit bucket in the sky.

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Your hard disk is dying. Better back everything up before it's too late! And no, it has nothing to do with a phishing scam.

6. LeeroyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Geez, thanks everyone.

I'd been toying with buying an external harddrive because my itunes library is getting a little large anyway. So I'll do that and back up everything as suggested.

One thought - I installed an extra 2GB of RAM from Crucial last week. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Should I take the cover off again and give it a bit of a jiggle about?

Thanks for all the advice, will back up then do Disk Repair from the Install Discs.

Thanks

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

RAM is one of the primary culprits in this type of crash anyway, so the fact that you just installed it before the crashes started happening means that the RAM is almost definitely the cause of these problems.

Take out that new RAM and I bet you your problems will disappear.

8. LeeroyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok cool

Do you think it's more likely that it's 'dodgy' RAM (i.e. that needs to come out and stay out) or just that I installed it incorrectly. Too gentle when pushing it in, for instance, and just need taking out and re-installing?

(The extra 1GB it gave me has proved quite handy, that's all!)

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

It could be anything. Maybe it's not pushed in all the way, maybe the ram is faulty, maybe the ram is slightly incompatible. Macs are VERY finicky about RAM specs, so you can have RAM that seems like it works, but then crashes your computer randomly because it's slightly incompatible with the exact type of RAM that's supposed to be in there.

Firstly, back up immediately. Then try pushing the RAM in further and see if the problem goes away. If the problem is still there, then remove the RAM and see if the problem goes away. If the problem goes away while the RAM is not in there, then you've found the culprit, and you should return the RAM to the seller.

10. LeeroyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks motulist.

I'm off down to Maplins now to get a new external HD. Is there a simple backup method for OS 10.4? Never done that before...to my shame.

L

11. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

CarbonCopyCloner. Search around and you'll find all the info you need on backing up. Good luck.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I had the same thing happen to me when I installed 3rd party ram in my G5 powermac. Take the new ram out first before you do anything, and take it from there.

13. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

SuperDuper! is essentially Time Machine before Time Machine was around.

There is also Carbon Copy Cloner.

Both do essentially the same, but CCC is free and doesn't have all the bells and whistles (IIRC) as SD!. Hope that Helps.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That much is certain regarding RAM, as you say.

I've had problems similar to this before.

Rather than bore you to death with the details, the bottom line is that it was a memory socket issue and not a RAM issue. It took a long time to trouble shoot. One of the RAM sockets was bad. And if a certain level of pressure was applied on the palm rests then boom the RAM would not be read. This usually resulted in a corrupted HD.

So I took my PowerBook down to the wonderful Genius folks at the Apple Store in Ginza. Showed them what happened. They of course were somewhat surprised as they had never seen this before. But I could easily duplicate it. They ended up replacing the motherboard, RAM, and HD for free because it was covered under Applecare. :)

That was one of the weirdest RAM issues that I have had over the past 35 years.

Great advice. Do this now. Don't wait.

Definitely. RAM is quite often the culprit.

I second Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC).

It works great!

15. LeeroyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much everyone - just got back with a new external HD. Will download CCC now and get started. Toying with whether to take the 2GB of Crucial RAM back out and swap back to the 1GB original Apple RAM that I took out of that slot. (The MBP seems quite unstable now - everything just crashing. Bit concerned if I leave the Crucial ram in whilst I back-up, it'll crash halfway through.)

Will report back when all done though. Mercifully I did back up my iTunes library just before I put the RAM in (most of my important stuff is on my Mac Pro - this MBP is not used for much besides surfing, travelling and music).

All advice much appreciated. This forum is awesome!

L

16. LeeroyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Went along with Clyde's thinking and swapped the Crucial RAM back out for the original Apple piece. Now got CCC doing a complete back-up to the new External HD. Really quite reassuring watching that happen...I must do this more often!

Will see how it's all running after the back-up and now that the Crucial RAM is out. Then if all seems to be fine, will re-install the Crucial RAM and see what happens from there.

Thanks again for all the help. Must donate to CCC now, that's a great piece of kit for nothing.

L

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Glad to hear things are working out for you.

Looks like it may just be a RAM issue. Crucial will probably replace if there is still a problem.

Regarding backing up with CCC. Personally, I only do full clones (backups). I do not do incremental backups. To have a system of complete backups or clones, you would need another external HD so you can alternate between them say on a weekly basis. Works well.

18. LeeroyG thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Sushi

Good advice, thank you. I was planning to get an external drive anyway, to keep my itunes music on. Then I can take it with me & my MBP for music on holidays etc.

Am also going to keep a copy of the itunes music on my Mac Pro, which has bags of HD space left. Is there a program that would keep the itunes music folder on my Mac Pro synced with that on the external HD?

L

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I don't know of a particular program.

What I do, is just copy the iTunes folder inside the Music folder under the user ID. And if I say, just added a bunch of CDs, and don't want to copy the whole folder, I connect via Target Disk Mode and import the CDs by adding them to my library. I let iTunes manage my library and when adding songs have them copied to the library. That works for me.

Others may have different techniques that might work better for your situation.

20. LeeroyG thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks for the advice everyone. As an update:

I have used CCC to back-up (clone) to an external HD. It took about 3hrs. However, upon finishing it suggested there were some errors (see attached screenshots).

Are these anything to worry about (I know from using Disk Utility that there are problems with the MBP' HD anyway, so is this just CCC re-iterating that fact?).

Thanks in advance,
    L

Attached Files:

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

^ Not sure.

What I would do, is run Disk Utility on your laptop, and use it to fix the external drive. Fix permissions first. May take you a couple of times until it is perfect. Then run Repair disk at least twice.

After this, reboot your computer to the external to make sure that you have a good clone and that it works for booting.

Assuming that it boots okay, run Disk Utilities from the external and use it to try to fix the Internal same as above.

22. LeeroyG thread starter macrumors newbie