I give up... guess I'll exchange the white for black, just too many problems...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slate1, Jul 28, 2008.

1. slate1 macrumors regular

I'm on my 2nd white phone and have an appointment with the genius bar on Wednesday to swap out yet again.

The first one would just lock up on me and the only way to restart was to hold the sleep/wake and home button until it would force a reset.

Now, the replacement, which I've had since the 15th, is spontaneously rebooting after 30 minutes of game-play or video feedback AND I've got cracks developing around the docking port.

Seems like there are more problems with the white phones, especially cosmetic, than the black ones - so I've about decided to switch even though I love the white.

What to do ... what to do :(

2. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

User error, only replacement that will work is user replacement!

3. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

very helpful - please explain (or are you just being a smart@$$?)

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Just messing with ya. But seriously, unless you're just bad luck, or you're doing something wrong.

5. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess it's luck then - WHAT could I possibly be doing wrong??? Is it not supposed to play videos and games for more than 30 minutes without shutting off? Is it supposed to develop cracks in the housing even though I'm doing everything to baby it short of letting it sleep on silk pillow at night?

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    dude, it's not the white's fault.. black and white we're all the same on the inside! :D

But seriously, just get whatever one you think looks better. The only thing that is maybe worse about white is shown scratches?? but I have a white and I don't see any so I call BS! haha.

(except of course for in the silver apple... the weak spot...):apple:

7. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

not to nitpick, but the black actually shows scratches easier than the white one :)

8. oclor macrumors regular

I don't know what to tell you man, It doesn't seem to me like the problems with the second iPhone warrant an exchange. The crashing problems are probably due to the firmware and will hopefully be prepared with the next update. I'm not sure if they will say the cracking around the dock connector is their fault either...

9. stevin macrumors regular

+1... 2.0 is just very buggy... for example iPhone 3G + Twinkle = hard reset ~50% of the time :p

my phone randomly shuts down a couple times a day... I curse and whine... but then I know that will be fixed as updates come... and by fixed I mean will only occur once ever couple days... My 2.5G would restart ever now and then (once every couple weeks or so) even after 1.1.4 was released....

Its a little computer ... not a moto razr... its going to get temperamental!

10. profetto macrumors regular

Don't do it!!!

3rd times a charm! :rolleyes:

11. mcorf macrumors member

I have a white one which I got July 12th, my wife on the 15th, and haven't had a problem with either.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Maybe there's an issue with the way the white housings are manufactured, thus the complaints of crazing. But I highly doubt software problems are color dependent. I have plenty glitches on me black one.

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Don't you listen to Tenacious D? You have to dock your phone gently.

14. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah - I can live with the "buggy software" and that it could be fixed by firmware updates - the cracks in the plastic housing are not something I'm willing to live with in a $300 device.

However, I find it hard to believe that the device was released with OS bugs that don't allow me to play Lost episodes PURCHASED FROM iTUNES for a full 43 minutes without shutting down in less than 30 minutes.

The only reason I threw out the exchanging for a black one idea is that I have yet to see a report of a cracked case on a black phone.

15. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

No $#!*, really?!?!? I had no idea.... :rolleyes:

The only reason I mentioned switching to a black one is that I've yet to see a report of a black one with the manufacturing defects (cracked cases, etc) that the white ones seem to have.

16. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I'm glad to hear that you haven't had a problem with either the phone you got on the 12th or the wife you got on the 15th:) Just a tip it's really hard and expensive to upgrade the wife.

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816

That has NOTHING to do with your phone at all, but the software you are using. Which game is it? It sounds like that game might have a memory leak, because the system automatically crashes to the home screen when it runs out of memory, and I could see a game having a slow leak that takes 30 minutes to actually affect stuff. Or the game could be doing something worse.

18. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

LOL.

You can't really think the color of the outside of the phone has to do with either sets of problems you have had.

This is one of the reasons why Apple was hesitant to bring in 3rd party apps. People load up the phone and bad apps create a bad experience and you have people like the OP returning phones because of something that has nothing to do witht he device itself but with the software some 3rd party company made.

And people want apps to be able to run in the background. Imagine the disaster that would be.

19. Tosser macrumors 68030

are you seriously thinking that random shutdowns is okay "because it's a little computer"? Do you also expect that from your laptop/desktop "because it's a big computer"?

Also, why is it that my Somo 650 doesn't "randomly shut down"? why is is that most smart phones doesn't randomly shut down either?

I cannot fathom why people are willing to put up with something like that.

20. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Yes, but at least ours don't have cracked housings. Even with the slight scratches, I think the black looks better. Just my opinion...

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Got my phone on launch and it has yet to shut down or crash, and it has no cracks. It's black but I doubt that matters

22. luigi408 macrumors 6502

I also have an appointment to replace my white iphone. The problem with mine is that I can see the light coming out of the edge of the phone, between the crome and the screen. I can see the inside and light coming out. I just got it today and noticed it while watching a movie. This sucks im kinda pissed after waiting so long I have to get it replaced. I though Apple made quality products.

23. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

You'll find the 'spontaneous' resets and lockups are due to firmware 2.0. - Everyone is likely, experiencing the same.

Cracks in the body though - that definitely needs sorting out.

I'm on my second white, only due to a defective battery in the first.

To put it simply,
    the world is waiting for 2.0.1.

R-Fly

24. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

Of course not!!! Geez - are any of you even reading what I'm writing?

The cracks in the white cases is the only reason I've considered trading for a black... it seems pretty obvious from a quick search here the white ones are more susceptible to cracking.

25. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

You're telling me the iPod software AND the couple of games I'm running (Crash and Dizzy Bee are the ones I've experienced this on) are ALL buggy to the point that they won't allow game play or video playback for more than 30 minutes without dumping me to a full reset? It goes to the Apple logo and completely reboots the phone - not just dumping me to the home screen.

I've got an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow at 1:30...