Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAppleGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
St. Louis
I know, I know. This is the hundredth thread you've seen this week, but, I am needing a little bit of help selling my 4S.

I posted my ad to Craigslist about a week ago, and out of the twenty-plus responses I have received, only two are real, but less than half of what I am wanting to get.

My phone is in mint condition, as I've had it since launch day. I've only sold broken iPhone's before (this is my first iPhone to not break on me, due to water damage), and am trying to find somewhere online that I could get cash for by next Friday, to sit and wait outside AT&T.

eBay is on the top of my list, but can anyone point me in the right direction where I can get the most for my phone?

Again, sorry.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So how much are you asking and what model iphone and storage?
If noone is buying it for over a week then something might not be right. Maybe you're asking too much for it. See how much other people selling them for and price yours accordingly.
If you go the ebay route you might get a little more but then you're looking at giving ebay and paypal a portion of your sale and having to deal with shipping it out or a bad seller trying to scam you.

eleite

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Sell it on ebay, and only accept winning bids from buyers with 250+ positive reputation. I sold my iPhone 4 for $225 on ebay this week. Funds sitting in my paypal.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I sold my 64gb AT&T 4S to gazelle.com for $400 (their offer price is lower now). Sold them my iPad last year. While perhaps not top dollar, it's quick, painless, no haggling (assuming you're honest about the condition), no scammers, no weirdos, no ebay tire kickers, no PayPal charge backs, etc.

And the best part is I don't have to ship it to them until after I get the new iPhone. This obviously won't work if you must have the money Friday.

TheAppleGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
St. Louis
How much are you looking to get? And you can also list the ad here in our marketplace section as you have the qualifications to access that section.

I initially put $425, but now I am offering $400. I'm thinking that's the case. I'll do that! Thank you.

So how much are you asking and what model iphone and storage?
If noone is buying it for over a week then something might not be right. Maybe you're asking too much for it. See how much other people selling them for and price yours accordingly.
If you go the ebay route you might get a little more but then you're looking at giving ebay and paypal a portion of your sale and having to deal with shipping it out or a bad seller trying to scam you.

I'm asking $400 for a near-perfect 16GB.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
Thats the problem. People have been selling them on our forum unlocked for $300-330. I sold my unlocked 4s 64gb for $500 on craigs a few days ago. Yours im assuming isnt unlocked which means it should be closer to $300 maybe a tad less.

jamst149

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Check out amazon instant trade in. They are offering $195 for my good condition iphone 4 16gb as of earlier today. That was the best price I found for an "instant" service i.e. no hassle like craiglist/ebay

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
yup if people aren't buying, it is probably because your price is not very good. look at the completed listings on ebay for the average selling price and i bet your phone will sell fast.

TheAppleGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
St. Louis
Check out amazon instant trade in. They are offering $195 for my good condition iphone 4 16gb as of earlier today. That was the best price I found for an "instant" service i.e. no hassle like craiglist/ebay

From what I understand, however, it's an Amazon gift card you receive. I'd do it (as the other day I was offered $420), but I'd rather have cash.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Ebay has an instant trade-in too. Got $240 for my 32gb iPhone 4, and I don't have to ship it 'til after I get the new one.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I initially put $425, but now I am offering $400. I'm thinking that's the case. I'll do that! Thank you.

I'm asking $400 for a near-perfect 16GB.

That's not a bad price but you gotta remember everyone is trying to unload their iphones now to get the new iphone.
So the market is flooded, most people are selling and not many are buying the old model so prices are low.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I would just sell it for like $280-$320 and get it over quick.

Can't really expect too much considering everyone and their brother selling used iPhones and the new iPhone 5 coming out.

spiralynth

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Craigslist? Were you trying to find m4w, FS or just FBSM?

Edit: Nevermind. After rereading the op I see he was just trying to sell a phone. Pardonnez-moi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.