I got a 15" retina 20 days ago and now there's a new model, what should i do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chad.petree, Feb 15, 2013.

1. chad.petree macrumors 6502

chad.petree

I just got a macbook pro 15" 20 days ago, thinking there wouldn't be a new model at least until june/july and now theres a new macbook pro 15" with a 2.4 ghz processor, which seems silly , because its just a 0.1 ghz speed increase which i would say its imperceptible but im not sure if its the same cpu i currently have on my macbook over clocked or if its a new one, should i ask apple for a replacement? my 14 days of no questions asked is now gone ...

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You're out of your complimentary goodwill 14 days, so:

Enjoy your laptop. It's virtually the same.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If you think .1Ghz will make a difference to your computing needs, then it can't hurt to ask. I think they generally are pretty fair with returns when new models are released. They may stretch to 30 days, it's at least worth giving them a call.

4. dma550 macrumors 6502

I would return - I would do mine if could. It's $500 less, for 30 days.

5. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

I had mine for 24 days and when to the Apple Store and spoke to the manager and he adjusted my price and refunded the difference.

I originally called the store and was told no, passed 14 days.
    I called Apple online and complained, and was told it was up to the manager.
    So it pays to talk in person.

My faith in Apple is restored.

6. chelch macrumors regular

Got mine Monday, returned it for refund today. I'm going to order a new one as soon as the refund comes in...

Originally, I wasn't going to bother with this, but there's talk of an updated thermal system so... why not eh?

I measured 91'C last night with 3 Motion templates looping. We'll see what the new one can do...

7. lorcharlie macrumors newbie

Call up your store and see what they can do. My store said that they are extending return dates to those who bought a new laptop at the end of early January through today so that they can either get a price adjustment or an exchange for a new model.

For an additional $400, a 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM upgrade (256 GB -> 512 GB, 8 GB -> 16 GB) is definitely worth the upgrade for me.

8. chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

chad.petree

how much are they charging just for the upgrade to the 512 gb sdd ?

Its the 15" version i have, this model had no price cut, its the same price :(

9. Radiating macrumors 65816

Just an FYI I was 34 days past the purchase date and the manager approved the return for me. They will usually let you return it when they've come out with a new product and you just bought the machine.

10. lorcharlie macrumors newbie

Well as of now I have a base model rMBP with AppleCare at a student discount. I'm going to return it and get the upgraded model (mainly base on the fact that it's 16GB standard) for an additional $381. I'll most likely get AppleCare afterwards but for now it's a worth the return/upgrade.

11. ryanrhod macrumors member

I had a similar issue with a 13" retina refurb that I bought 25 days ago. It took some effort, and I was told repeatedly on the phone that they were unable to issue me a price match credit (and instead was offered some coupon), but I persisted and eventually I spoke with a rep that made a return exception for me. I'm going to get a better version for not much more money now!

So, if you have a sick feeling about it, try calling their 1-800 number, and see if you can get a similar exception.