I got a free iPhone. Don't want a contract, just want to turn it on.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by juiceman, Mar 3, 2008.

1. juiceman macrumors newbie

I got an iPhone for free but I already have a contract with a different provider.
    When my current contract is finished (in 16 months!) I'll probably get an iPhone contract but, until then, is there a way I just turn it on and use it for music, videos, etc?
    I downloaded AppTapp but always get a 'bootstrap' error when I try to install it. Is this because my phone has never been activated?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

ZiPhone 2.5. Check Activate and Jailbreak. Heck, check Unlock, too. That way you can pop a friend's SIM if you're out in the wilderness.

3. juiceman thread starter macrumors newbie

Me again. You may wonder - why don't I just sell it and buy a Touch instead?
    I considered this then a friend pointed out that in some years these first generation iPhones could be 'collectors items'. Any thoughts?

4. werkedm3 macrumors member

I would sell it. It would go for more unopened, and you could buy yourself a touch, and then get a 3g iphone when your contract is up.

5. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

If you are not going to use the phone features sell it and get an ipod touch.

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Nah. By this logic, so could the iPod Touch.

Just keep it... activate, jailbreak, unlock. Who knows, you may end up switching carriers in the future and an iPhone would be great to use.

7. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

nobody wonders... why would you want an ipod touch if you can have an iphone ... !
    i´m not really sure about the collectors item because there are so many things that can break on the iphone... if it in perfect condition maybe ... i have a friend who sold his 3.g ipod for a lot because somebody thought it was a collectors item ... to get the iphone there ithink you need to keep it in it´s sealed box for like 15 years... and it´s still a really small amount of people (compared to the world population and my ex definately wasn´t one of them :)) who are exited about the iphone and at least half of the people have already bought one and will keep it when they get the 3 g one

8. juiceman thread starter macrumors newbie

ZiPhone worked wonderfully! It was so easy. I'm amazed. I'm keeping the iPhone.