I got a Hitachi Travelstar 500gb on Macbook Pro 15 (feb08 edition)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xjames, Dec 25, 2008.

1. xjames macrumors member

I went to a local mom and pop mac shop and had them install a new 500gb HD on my macbook pro 15 (Feb 08).

The guy at the store recomended the Hitachi 5k500 drive, said he didn't like Western Digital. I said "ok", and pronto. I got a new 500gb HD on my notebook.

Thing is, and I know it's dumb after the fact but it is what it is, I started searching online for reviews, to know if I made a good purchase.

1) I could find absolutely NO review on this drive. Not one. Only the manufacturer's info (which some sites post as a review, but it's not).

2) Also, I found in here and on OWC that this drive won't fit a 15'' macbook pro.. yet, I'm using it now, and I doubt the store guys modified it.

3) Finally, I read some comments on unrelated posts saying that Hitachi fails often. My previous drive in this notebook is a hitachi, and it never failed. The store guy recommended it, and he seemed like he wasn't looking to screw me over. I bet he enjoys having repeat business.

So what gives? Any thoughts on any of those things? (no reviews/won't fit/drive sucks)

Thanks

Oh, btw, I have been using the new drive for 3 days now. Seems very quiet, doesn't seem to run hot, and haven't noticed any changes in anything. Some apps seem faster (maybe because of more space, maybe because of less fragmentation)...

2. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Yes there is one review it's not actually about the Hitachi one, it is about the Western Digital 320 7200RPM Scorpio Black, but thy do compare both of them and they offer benchmarks.

The bottom line is that the HDD you bought is a good one, but WD is better, or so they say in that review.

Link. Hope this helps!

P.D. That drive does fit in the MBP

3. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I have a Samsung 500gb HD in my MB. I like Hitachi too , but read that it won't fit.

4. xjames thread starter macrumors member

it's not the hitachi

Well.. it didn't compute that they'd put a drive that reportedly wouldn't fit. So I did a systems check and I got this:
    WDC WD5000BEVT-22ZAT0

Some online checking revealed it's the Western Digital Scorpio Blue.

One one hand I'm happy I know what drive I have and that it's supposed to be a good drive. On the other, I'm peeved that they installed another one without telling me, even after saying "I don't like WD"...

The invoice just says "internal 500gb drive".

That's the price of dealing with a mom and pop store I guess... (edit: besides the obvious overcharge)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

He doesn't like the WD so the store owner sells you a WD anyways. :p

6. DeanCorp macrumors member

You definitely have a WD installed. Hitatchi are the best though, run the coolest and fastest.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Hitachi, Western Digital, and Seagate all make good drives. Just be sure to claim your warranty should anything go wrong.