I got a new monitor for my MBP, and now programs keep crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeyTree, Dec 4, 2008.

1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I just got a new 24" monitor for my MBP (2.4, SR), my first external monitor I've used on this computer. However, ever since I started using it, programs keep crashing. Safari and Word 2008 have especially been crashing, but that may be because those are the two programs I've use the most often.

Even more weirdly, Safari hasn't just been crashing, it's also frozen in weird ways. A couple times, the window was still there, and the Dock said that Safari was still responding, but the entire window was blank white. Completely white, with no buttons or anything else visible. Yet it was still functioning, since double-clicking on the top of it minimized the window into the dock. When I de-minimized it, I could see the window again, but the bookmark and tab bars were weirdly compressed.

A couple times I also noticed patches of "static" or dithering on my desktop.

Does anyone have any idea what could be doing this? Could there be something wrong with my graphics card?

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Most weird. I assume that the MBP's "native" screen works fine? Why not connect another second monitor to it and see what happens?

3. MikeyTree thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I never had any problems with the native screen, only when I'm driving a second one (a 24", if it matters).

If I had another monitor to plug in, I'd try that. Maybe next time I go to the house of a friend who has an external monitor, I'll bring my laptop and try his. I don't see why that would make a difference though, since it's a computer issue.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect the root cause to be one of 3 things:
    • A defective external monitor
    • A graphics card that can't power the external monitor adequately
    • Graphics card driver issues
    The first one can be tested with a different monitor. The second can also be tested this way. The third is a little harder, but you could always try updating to the latest Mac OS X sub-version for your major version (for instance, if you're running 10.4.X update to 10.4.11, or if on any version of Leopard prior to 10.5.5 updating to that).