iPhone X I got a phone call from my own number ¿?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheTruth101, May 24, 2018.

1. TheTruth101 Suspended

My phone started to ring, it had my number. When I picked it up no one answered. I see the log and is my same phone number, I call back and I get to introduce the password of my voicemail. WTF?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

More than likely, a scammer spoofed your number.

3. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Scammers can spoof any caller ID number, including your own. I imagine their robodialer software can simply set the caller ID spoofed number equal to whatever number its dialing.

That part is perfectly normal. Maybe people forget, but before Visual Voicemail you'd access your voicemail by calling your own telephone number and entering your voicemail password.

Yes, I agree.

But what I don't get is why so many scammers don't say anything after I pick up, just like OP says. I'd say at least 1 out of 5. What's the scam exactly?

The only thing I can imagine is that the caller is a robocalling company working for a legit customer that wants telephone polling or something, and the caller is cooking the books with inflated call numbers in order to charge their customer more.

4. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

Most call centers call more numbers than they have live agents. This is because they know that some people won’t answer, some are bad numbers, some might get a busy signal. Once a call is answered and the system detects that is isn’t someone’s voicemail it queues the call to an agent. Sometimes they have more live calls than agents and you won’t get transferred to a live agent straight away, but get queued up. Stay on long enough and you will probably get to talk to someone. Or not. But don’t worry if you answer they know yours is a live number and will try you again.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Robo caller spoofing you phone number. I have had it say “Police” before. There is no limit to what is can say. Makes it impossible to block.

6. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

7. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

Not impossible to block. When the first 6 digits match your own they are referred to as neighbor calls and Hiya is one app that will block them.

8. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

I had that happen a couple weeks back. I didn't bother answering. In all fairness, I had spoken to myself earlier that day and already knew what the call was regarding.

9. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

A lot of times they do this to see who picks up and answers so they can see which numbers are valid. They either sell those lists or use it themselves later.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If it is "unknown" or "Police" you can not block it.

11. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

My wife and also a good friend of mine have the first same 6 as me so I can't block the block of those numbers. So I'm endlessly getting these calls.

12. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

They use to do this on my home phone too, so I got rid of my Uverse land line and went with Google Voice (VoIP) problem solved. I have not had one scammer since I switched over..and I save $45 a month..