I got a Pop-up ad (is it the end of the world?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by modernart, Jul 27, 2009.

1. modernart macrumors member

so i've had my MBP for 3 weeks now, and i just encountered my first pop-up ad from netflix while browsing through several blogs. i didn't download anything (nor have i ever downloaded anything on this MBP), just reading blogs. should i be worried? i run mac osx, by the way.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No. A variety of different browsers have different settings to turn this off.

3. miiles macrumors regular

Part of what makes a Mac safer is that you have to put in a password to install a good amount of apps and as soon as any new app is opened you have to agree that you want to open it, it can do this for you. Nothing to worry about unless you installed something bad (which you didn't).

4. modernart thread starter macrumors member

well im using safari and i have the setting to turn it off, but the popup still appeared

sweet! that good to know. so far i havent received as many popups as i usually do from a using a pc. but this 1 popup kinda threw me off. i guess i expected the mbp (when using osx and safari) to be 10000% bulletproof.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The pop-up you're talking about is most likely from casalemedia.com

They've teamed up with just about every site out there to create a pop-under.

Just go into cookies and put casalemedia.com into the never accept category and it should go away.

If that isn't it, check your cookies the next time the add pops up and add the domain name to the never accept cookie category.

6. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

this happens to me all of the time its nothing to be worried about

7. modernart thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info guys! this has helped me calm down haha :D

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Use Firefox with AdBlock Pro if you really never want to see another ad again.;)