I got an odd "Blod" on my lock screen on 2012 MBP w/High Sierra

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zipur, Sep 28, 2017.

1. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

Just upgrade my IOS and when I rebooted the screen has this odd green blod on the screen.
    Any idea what's causing this? Should I be concerned? Logging in all my apps work no other detectable problems : yet.

Attached Files:

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

What happens if you screenshot it (Shift + CMD + 4)? Does it show in the screenshot?

I would imagine it's just a teething problem with the introduction of Metal 2 for most OS graphics processing. I've had a couple of very minor graphical hiccups on my 2017 MBP since High Sierra.

If it's always exactly the same, that gives me even more confidence that it's a software/driver issue and not your GPU.

3. Cycling Asia macrumors regular

Looks like a clipping error in their blur algorithm. Or they've optimised their algorithm to make the blurring quicker and you've found an edge case that breaks their optimisation.

It would be interesting to get the original image (your desktop image), crop it so it only contains that part of the image that causes the problem, set that as your desktop and see if the problem fills the screen on the lock screen.

I'd also submit a bug with Apple - providing your desktop image as well (if possible)

4. Mockletoy macrumors regular

Mockletoy

Mine is even worse. Only started after the High Sierra upgrade. The entire left half of my screen is a blacked-out mess, but as you can kind of see in the screenshot it's not exactly half, and it's not a straight line. Sort of amorphous.

It should look uniform all the way across. When I log in, the black bit sorts of fades away to show the regular desktop. Seems to be a bug of some sort in the way they're trying to blur the background image. I haven't bothered to try a new background and see if it behaves differently because it's such a minor thing and only affects the login screen.

I can say that I have that same background image on other High Sierra devices, but only this one is all messed up that way. This is also the only one with Radeon graphics, so maybe that's why?

EDIT: Okay, I changed my background image to something else and the blur is nice and even across the entire screen with that one. Weird, especially since, like I said, I use that same image on a couple of other machines without issue.

Attached Files:

5. zipur thread starter macrumors 6502a

zipur

EDIT: Okay, I changed my background image to something else and the blur is nice and even across the entire screen with that one. Weird, especially since, like I said, I use that same image on a couple of other machines without issue.[/QUOTE]

Well lets call the "Progress"

6. andy9l macrumors 68000

Definitely a software / Metal issue. I’d report to Apple and await a fix. I imagine it’ll be fixed fairly quickly, they are really trying to push Metal.