I got bored of waiting for a Sonos and Nest Apps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Crosspjc, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Crosspjc macrumors member

...so I did a little digging on the interweb and came up with the following solutions:

a) Nest

I bought Thessa from the app store which has an apple watch extension and notification centre widget. Works well but does not currently have access to the digital crown. I assume this will come with native apps.

b) Sonos

A part work around. I installed AirSonos onto a raspberry pi and can now airplay to the sonos speakers from all my iDevices. This means I can remote control the iPhone music app or play music from the watch both to my sonos 1. You can also use Siri!

My Sonos speakers are now a lot more usefull all for about £25 and a few leads I had lying around. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a "how to" for AirSonos. If Mods say it's ok Ill post one up or you can google Airsonos. I had to mix and match from a couple of guides to get it working but it was quite straight forward.

Hope this helps people with their home automation which is going to be the watches "killer app".

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The problem with the Nest program is that Google has combined it with DropCam and I am not so sure they will have a AW app and I doubt the Google even wants too. I would have never invested in 4 nest t-stats and three dropcams as Google is not trusted around my house or office.

3. driessmulders macrumors newbie

driessmulders

Check out ZonePlay on the App Store. I think it's the solution you're looking for!

4. Crosspjc thread starter macrumors member

The thing that annoyed me about Sonos is that you had to use their app instead of just using the native music or Siri. I don't think zone play gets around this from a quick look at the description.

When Apple music is here I think airsonos will be a good workaround whilst waiting for Sonos to add the service.

5. tearsen macrumors newbie

I´ve been using airsonos for a couple of month now, for me it is the best way to fully use airplay on sonos speakers.

6. elbartino macrumors member

There is a good app on the app store with a watch app called 'Home Remote' which will allow HTTP commands sent over a network. I use it to control a home automation system with nest stat, Sonos, as well as tv media player lights etc. Really good and easy to control anything that can receive http commands as a trigger.

7. digduggler macrumors regular

What annoys me about Thessa is it will only adjust in 2 degree increments (Fahrenheit anyway...)

8. Crosspjc thread starter macrumors member

Are you using a raspberry pi or a Mac to run it?

9. tearsen macrumors newbie

I´ve got a little hackintosh, running OS X Server 24/7, thats the machine on which airsonos is installed.