I got iWork for free with my replacement iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Merkie, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Merkie macrumors 68020

I replaced my iPhone 5 last week due to various issues, and today I suddenly thought to myself if my new iPhone will now be able to download iWork for free (since it's been activated after Sep 1st). And to my surprise, it was! So I now have iPhoto, GarageBand, Numbers, Pages and Keynote for free without purchasing a new iOS device. Yay :).

2. chaudhry747 macrumors member

It was already announced free for iPhone 5S. iWork for mac users is going to be free for new buyers on Novembers 1st.

3. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Good for you :D and "all" apple apps are free with every new apple device :p

4. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

Did I miss any paid Apple app?

----------

I know, but I didn't buy a new phone! So that's why it thought it was worth mentioning :) .

5. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Go to App Store > touch Featured > scroll all the way down and touch Apps Made by Apple > pick and choose what you want to download by all apps made by apple.

Have a nice day.

6. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks.

7. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

I assume it is only free when you upgrade to ios7. My replacement that I got in mid-October had ios 6.1.4. I am hoping that I will get the rest of the free apps when I upgrade to ios7 (if I choose to upgrade)

8. buddybd macrumors 6502

Any new activations starting from the release of the 5S/C (not sure about date) get those stuff for free. You did not buy your phone but you did activate it.

My roommate got his replaced (through Verizon) the same time I got my 5S, he got all the apps for free too.

9. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

I know it makes sense, but it's never been mentioned and I never thought of it. Nice side benefit of having a broken phone.

10. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

That's nice....even I just got a replacement iphone 5....however as I had already long back purchased all iWork and iLife apps....so couldn't get advantage of it :eek::(

11. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Not really certain why you're assuming that, seeing as how everybody in this thread, as well as Apple have said that the apps are free on new iOS devices.

In the OP's case, he technically received a new iOS device, even though it was a replacement. (Note: Even if his phone was refurbished, Apple treats those as new devices.) That's why he got the free apps.

So unless Apple alters their stance behind the scenes, get ready to shell out some money for iWork. :)

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

it's being mentioned and yours isn't the first thread about it.