I Got Lucky with a Cheap Kindle Fire Last Night! So I Thought : (

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Buildbright, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I got real lucky last night! So I thought :( I was able to purchase a Kindle "Fire" from Wal-Mart for $123.88 after a nice manager did a price match from another store. A Kindle Fire for nearly a $100 price point I got real excited to have this "hot" new toy!

Let me start off by saying, I wanted to love this tablet so much but I just can’t lie to myself. It reminds me of being on a date with a hot girl that so dumb she thinks FEMA is a bone in her leg.

THE GOOD:

It feels good in the hand at 7 inches with a soft rubber back. The exterior is plain but doesn’t look or feel cheap. I liked how it didn’t have some odd Carabiner clip attachment made for, I am guessing tablet bungee jumping (I'm talking to you nook)...lol. The screen is a beautiful IPS display with vibrant and natural colors. Battery life is good as or close to the iPad. The Fire Android Skin has some real polish and great textures. It looks like someone with Taste (Not Google..lol) designed it. Well that’s what I like so let’s get to the hate fest...jk

THE BAD:

Now please take inconsideration I think the Kindle Fire SUCKS for my wife and I. It may be ok or even good for some but only those that are not willing to spring for an iPad or scared to buy a used or refurbished iPad.

The interface is choppy and sluggish. Enough so the scrolling of any type makes me nauseous. Jittery page turning when looking at PDFs or books gives me a headache. The Kindle Fire browser is painfully slow and I have a 30Mbs Up and 30 Mbs Down with a 28 ms ping fiber internet connection. So don’t give me the Wi-Fi is the problem. I also have one of the best Netgear dual band N routers available today. It took 5 times longer or more for the Kindle Fire load the same webpages compared to the Apple iPad or ipod touch. The back button seems like it must need to get up to 88mph and produce 1.21 jiggawatts "to go back to the future.. I mean back to the last page you have viewed, it is so slow.

The Kindle Fire device has no volume or home/back buttons on the device. The controls are virtual, displayed on the screen and take up 15% to 20% of screen real-estate which is a lot in such a small form factor. How much is a button really? The Kindle Fire offers very few native apps for the most part you will be using stretched android phone apps (bleh). The Facebook App is just a bookmark for the mobile site. No calendar or alert system built in. Really Amazon?

No device security at all, your small son or daughter can order a $8000 Playset with "one click" (it is shipped this way and no way to change it). But you will get Free 2nd day Air or $2.99 Overnight on that expensive mistake.. lol Or better yet someone can steal the Kindle and order their hearts away with your money. I am sure you can get your money back but who wants to go through that hassle. Flash Video playback can be choppy with wacky scrubbing. Netflix and YouTube streaming seemed ok. The Amazon Storefront is cheezy and generic. Also I think I know why they call it the Kindle "Fire". It gets hot! After an hour of light use it was extremely warm.

Things that suck but don't blame Amazon for are.

-No Bluetooth
    -No 3g Option
    -SD Card (true 6 GB of storage is not enough)
    -6GB of storage (cloud storage means nothing if you have no Wi-Fi or crappy Wi-Fi)
    -Unimpressive Email Client
    -No Google Services Built in at all
    -Thick and heavy for its size
    -No auto dimming
    -No Gyroscope

THE TRUE COST:

What does this thing really cost well what gives this tablet its true street cred is the Amazon Ecosystem which I got one month free. After your trial you must pay $79 if you don’t this tablet becomes very crippled and loses key features such as Amazon VOD, Prime Shipping, and Lending Library. So the real cost to date the Kindle Fire is $279.

THE $199 (cough $279) ANSWER:

I know it seems I am being overall negative but I am being honest with no sugar coating. Paying almost half the price of the already cheap tablet can’t convince me to consider keeping it because I loathe using it that much. The device has twice the specs of the iPad 1 and 10% of the performance shame on you Amazon. I have used generic tablets that aren’t as polished but give a much better user experience. Save your money (an extra $70 gets you a refurbished or used iPad) or buy another tablet. This Kindle Fire is ICED.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually you can change this by turning off One-Click in your Amazon account. Kindle Fires are linked to Amazon accounts; all of the settings just copy over.

3. Buildbright thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called Amazon and confirmed with them this is how we want you to buy content. They have a setting to turn it off but it does not work you still have one click. Trust me I actually own a kindle fire so I know.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

A rather hypocritical "review" laced with lots of misleading statements which reveal that it was an impulse purchase. That it was roundly bashed before being used for a reasonable amount of time speaks volumes.

To be surprised that it's purpose is to sell Amazon content is akin to saying iPads are not tied into iTunes.

I happen to have a new Fire myself. Having researched it before making the purchase, I'm very satisfied. It's a terrific companion to my iPad 2.

Especially since it's different and not meant to go head to head with Apples tablet.

I've been a frequent Amazon customer for years and trust them completely. Customer service has always been stellar.

For me, the two tablets are a great deal of fun.

5. Buildbright thread starter macrumors 6502a

First off hypocritical how? I think you may be using the word out of context. I said this tablet may be fine or good for others just not me. I also believe like many others (and I am not alone) it is not the best tablet at its price point.

I have researched the Kindle and said if it becomes cheaper I will try it out. I also have used most of the tablets out on the market today and know about the hardware and software foundations of them. Have you owned and HP Touchpad? Blackberry Playbook? HTC Flyer? Galaxy Tab (first and sec gen)? Motorola Xoom? Nook Color? Well I have and have used many other tablets.

I never put down Amazons services at all I gave my review on they're hardware and software for the Kindle Fire. Please read the whole post before replying it will save us both a lot of time. I am glad you have a need for two different brand tablets and a smartphone. Most people do not as they only have two arms and the tablet batteries last for ten hours

Lastly my point is that there are better options for most people and I use the iPad as a comparison because it is the standard. Most people who have tablets have an iPad so not comparing it is foolish. The Kindle Fire did not perform well enough for me to even consider it at the $100 price point. I am educating others so they know what to expect. I am sorry I do not paint a goody good gumdrop picture for your liking.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I went to Best Buy to play with the KF...disappointed just like the OP lol. :eek:

7. davedvdy macrumors regular

I believe it is excellent what you are doing. I for one, tried the Fire yet again after this supposed "6.1 update", and the browser in particular is still extremely laggy.

The bells and whistles or features u mentioned are great, but I would've overlooked a vast majority cause of the price point. Even at $50 I wouldn't find any use for this device. It's a frustrating experience.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's a little egotistical, don't you think? Why should anyone listen to you about what's "better" for them? Amazon has one of the best return policies out there, so people can decide from themselves after actually using the device.

The Kindle Fire is not, has not been advertised as, and should not be considered an iPad competitor. It clearly does not compare from the outset. It seems like the only thing wrong with your Kindle Fire experience was that you were expecting too much.

That being said, you do raise most of the legitimate issues that other reviewers have. Namely the web browsing experience... if you can even call it that. Web browsing on the Fire is just awful, and is the area that needs the most improvement.

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

To the OP. You're not alone in your review. I constantly read the same issues with other people that purchased the Fire and subsequently returning it. And of course there are lots of people satisfied with a subpar experience. These people are usually avid Amazon users or people that don't know any better.

10. darster Suspended

I own both the iPad 1 and kindle fire. First, you can set it up where one can not make $8000 purchases. Very simple. Set it up to either use you amazon password, or a 4 digit code. Once set up, one has to enter code to disengage this feature.

I don't like carousel on the fire, but one can easily change it by sideloading other android apps from the internet to change the home screen without rooting.

It doesn't come with a mic, but it is capable of using a mic. Just side load any simple voice app, and plug in a mic/headphone combo into the headphone jack and you will see that it works. So I imagine a side loaded Skype app will not be too far behind.

The web browser on the fire is terrible. Utterly terrible. I side loaded dolphin HD and it works great.

Touch screen is not as good as iPad. I have iPad 1 and it is not as good as that. No doubt about that.

The iPad is much better right out of the box. The Fire can be changed through sideloading to make it a good tablet.

It will never match the quality of an iPad. But for $200, it works fine for streaming, surfing, checking email, playing games and non resource heavy apps.

If you don't use the iPad to it's full capabilities, then the fire may be enough for you.

11. darster Suspended

I also find it amusing how people compare it to an Ipad and rip the fire for not being as good. Apple would be in an uproar if it was. A $200 TABLET just as good as a $500 ipad would send shockwaves through apple and they could no longer justify ripping off consumers for an extra $300. They will never be on the same playing field. The Ipad is simply better. $300 better? That's up to the consumer to decide.

12. Buildbright, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

Buildbright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well you must know more then amazon because they have a whole forum stating you can not. Here I link that supports what I said. Also the four digit code is for video purchases not amazon storefront. I am sure it will get fixed but it is not an option as of Now.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...t-kindle-fire-lacks-key-purchase-controls.ars

It's not the flexibility of the iPad I was comparing. I was comparing basic os tasks like scrolling. I will post a video tomorrow to show the jerky and sluggish UI. Also I will now compare it to the iPod touch which is a better buy than the kindle fire. Same price better everything just a bit smaller. Also you could sell it in a year for 3/4's of what you paid to buy something else.

I think a new kindle fire could be coming soon which could make the current fire a waste. I say save your money if you are not sure. Remember early adopters usually pay a price and that has been proven time and time again.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's not a $300+ general use tablet.

I'll be more than happy to buy your Fire for the low price you got it at. I'll pay the shipping. Thanks!

That's like saying the real cost of having Netflix is $90 a year. Or the real cost of owning an iPhone a couple of years ago was $99 a year for MobileMe and it was crippled without it.

These are optional things.

Many Amazon users already have Prime just for the shipping, so it's not an additional cost with the tablet. On the contrary, getting the VOD and library are nice freebies.

PS. That's not to say we're not appreciative of a repeat review about the slow scrolling. Amazon does need to fix that kind of thing, to bring the user experience up to a decent level.

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Whilst I appreciate any review, it does get tiresome when you read the "I have an iPad and this device that's half the price is not as good" reviews.

Especially when the device has not been make to compete.

It's like me saying my $500 iPad is junk compared to my $1000 MacBook. It can't do a fraction of the things my Macbook can do The iPad is junk.

But the iPad is not designed or priced to be and MacBook competitor. Why can't people grasp that?

15. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Sounds like you got a bargain...

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Oh we can.

Blatantly ripping the OP's post, these things inadequacies are ok for a cheap tablet.
    These things are inexcusable. Especially when you consider it has the same class hardware as iPad 2, dual 1ghx armv7 cortex a8 CPU w 512 mb of ram.

17. rekud300 macrumors member

rekud300

Op, I have no problems with your review. However with that being said, the issues or what you don't like about it, have been known issues and bad experiences already. If you would've reviewed others comments, probably could've saved yourself the:

$199 (cough $279) experiment.

Not supposed to compete against an iPad, supposed to be a reader with other functionality and as you are finding out, doesn't fit your requirements or expectations. Not a bad thing, but that is why we have different devices for different applications and needs.

I have an Ipad1, I have been looking at other tablets as well for reading books only with a smaller screen. Once I review everything that is out there the value is not there for me to purchase anything other than an iPad and stick with the larger device. I will probably purchase the Ipad2 and hand down the 1 to my kids. I don't care if it is $300 more than the Fire or if it was cheaper than the Fire. I am purchasing a device that has the flexibility of what I want to use it for.

Don't forget the other part of the Good: You can return it.

18. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

KF ad on Amazon: Enjoying your content should be simple and easy. Ultra Fast Web Browsing.

So, the OP has their valid points. Neither the web browsing is ultra fast, nor the enjoyment of their content is simple and easy. Misleading ad? Everything in this ad tells me KF is something like the iPad or so it makes me believe. In reality it is something like an eReader, something like an iPad, something like a console for purchasing content.

The iPad and the Macbook are different kind of devices. Compare cars to bicycles. On the other hand, both iPad and KF are tablets.

19. urkel macrumors 68030

I own both an iPad 2 and Kindle Fire and as much as I can understand the complaints by the OP (he does make valid points), I also can see how his perspective is skewed by being an iPad owner (I'm in the same boat).

As an iPad owner and ONLY viewing the Fire as a non-iPad branded tablet then there is a jarring amount of differences in how things are done. Apple absolutely nailed the control, OS optimization and simplicity of the iPad so even though "anybody can learn any OS if given enough time", in many ways then Apple did it better.

BUT, the Fire isn't meant for us. Let's be honest, our iPad accessories probably cost more than a Fire so even though direct comparisons are expected, the audience is not the same. So evaluating the product from the perspective of a normal user who doesnt even know why they need a tablet then the Kindle will feel different in their hands than it does in ours.

Even though I prefer my iPad overall then I have no problem recommending this to others because The Kindle is a solid, well built and highly effective device that is well worth the price and it NOT being an iPad shouldnt be held against it.

20. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I said it before and I will say it again, this thing is just a handheld portal to amazon, nothing more, nothing less.

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You've clearly stated your distain for the Fire, therefore there's nothing to discuss.

23. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Don't you mean "avid Android" users?

I kid, I kid. ;)

24. gnasher729, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

So the thread starter didn't like the Kindle Fire. What exactly in his critique isn't justified? And how is he in any way hypocritical? Hypocritical would be something like saying "I would never say anything bad about a competitor, but the Kindle Fire is rubbish". Saying "I hate Amazon and the Kindle Fire is rubbish" is _not_ hypocritical. Maybe you don't understand what the word means.

On the other hand, when the Kindle Fire was announced, there were plenty of posts how a $199 tablet meant Apple was doomed. Well, to all those who thought Apple was doomed: A $199 tablet is not a $499 tablet. And to those why say the Kindle Fire isn't near as good as an iPad: A $199 tablet is not a $499 tablet. But because of the reaction here by some people at the time of the announcement, an actual comparison is totally justified.

25. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I broke my FEMA a few months back...it suck really bad!