I got my family at home to all get Mac computers!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nec207, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nec207 macrumors 6502

My family like my self use to use windows going back to windows 3.1 days !! Windows vista and windows 7 made us go cracy with being so un- user friendly:eek: In fact the more we use Windows vista and windows 7 the more we hated it .

After getting Mac it so user friendly you can be computer novice and know how to use it in day.

I'm not windows basher in fact windows 95 ,98 and Me was the closes you are going get to a non bloated OS even though it had flaws the use of registry and DLL files.It was simple and way more user friendly not is much has Mac OS X but way more than windows 7 or windows vista.

Windows 2000 and windows XP was start of Microsoft moving away from a user friendly OS and jump full speed with windows vista and windows 7.

My question is why does windows still use DLL files and registry ? No idea why windows vista or windows 7 GUI interface started to use KDE.

From what I understand KDE is like windows vista ,windows 7 in look and feel.Where EDE is like windows 95 ,98 and Me in look and feel.And Aqua is like Mac OS x look and feel.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think you really understand most of what you typed. It's nice you got your family to switch... I guess.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

lol :D
    I'm a bit confused as well. Just a bit.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

cool story though

5. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay I think I know how to explain this for some one that does not understand windows versions and OS .

In order of most user friendly is Mac OS X.

If some how we wake up tomorrow and apple never existed than I will pick windows 9.x ( windows 95,98 or Me )

And if windows 9.x never existed than windows XP .

And if only windows 7 or windows vista existed than oh what would I do.

Keep mind flaw of windows is the use of registry and DLL files.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Subjective. The number of threads here on "how do I do such-and-such in OS X" suggest that every operating system has its quirks for different users.

Again, use of the registry and DLL files aren't necessarily a flaw. You are certainly entitled to your opinions, though.

7. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

This thread is just silly. I've been using XP since 2002 including both 32 and 64-bit editions. After I started using 7 at work last year the learning curve was fairly minimal. I was comfortable with it after first couple of hours and completely at ease after a few days. Of course if you constantly go under the hood then yes, there are significant differences but if you're just a regular user I don't see how it can be so hard to learn after XP.

Mac OS has its flaws just like Windows does. It's all about which one you are willing to live with.

8. ender land macrumors 6502a

My mac has crashed far more often than Windows XP did when I ran it. I think I had windows crash once in about 5 years and my mac has definitely crashed more than that.

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Windows ME was a joke. MS was trying to do with 2000 what it did with XP, but it wasn't there yet. Win 2000 was NT 5.0, and ME was some bloated garbage that was thrown together for home users. NT 4.0 was a great OS, but didn't support USB or Direct X above 4.0. Having not yet used Win 7, and currently using XP Pro (on company laptop) I think their best was Win2000.
    Back in the day, I talked my mother into a G5 iMac. She still uses it. 12 of her friends and siblings have made the switch after playing on her iMac.

Until two days ago, never had my Mac crash, very few Windows XP Pro crashes. (On company laptop, Toshiba, that originally had Vista). But I also keep all the crap-ware off of it, and I don't use crap like Comet Cursor or it's equivalents, or the email smilies. No junk-ware. Of course when I did have my Mac crash, I was doing taxes, so I understand, it was making me sick too...

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

But I'd say the use of a registry that is required for Windows to know where everything is, is a huge flaw. I'll admit I have no experience with W7, but I know in the bad old windows days moving applications could easily break them and there was even a PC utility to help move applications. Is it still like that? I know that the Mac is not like this. You can move an application anywhere you want and it is still going to crank right up. :)

11. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

I'm getting the feeling English isn't OP's first language - that could explain the somewhat mixed up post :) (if I'm wrong, sorry! I guess not everyone gets along with the written word to the same degree, and for those who aren't as comfortable, internet-based communication can cast them in an unfairly harsh light)

Either way, good for you OP! Wish I'd had that much success - been trying to coax my mother for going on four years now, but as long as her windows clunker is still (kind of) working, she doesn't want to waste it; she's very much a minimalist type I guess. But hey, she's been telling me that the beast is getting so slow that going online is now like a throwback to using a dial-up modem (sooo last millenium!). So might not be too long now!

And come to think of it, I have some other family who are already on mac and some even were before I was, we just don't email or share via internet as much as with my mom (I mostly talk to them on the phone etc).

Friends are pretty much hopeless sadly :p Not even trying anymore lol!

12. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think some of you understand what I'm saying do to the complexity.And I don't thing this post will help with out me posting 5 posts to explain it.I'm trying to find best words to explain this but having problems do to the complexity.

Windows 3.1 and windows 9.x GUI was simple GUI crude in look not candy GUI but was user friendly GUI for more advance computer users but too dangerous for computer novice.

We talking about how a GUI looks not plug and play and OS problems of the old windows versions had and 1,000,000 times worse than windows 7 do to this!!

Windows XP was more compromise GUI but still to dangerous .So starting with windows vista and than windows 7 Microsoft dumbing down the GUI so theoretically it is safer for your kids and Grandparents .

The problem is this become very un-user friendly for the tech guys as it was little more hidden now than classic my computer and file manager that was too dangerous for computer novice to go into.

Now every window almost looks the same as other window and so many different ways to get to that same spot you looking for :eek: not to say applications pin on taskbar ,star manue ,programs list, in star manue and desktop and so on it became very disorganised.

And almost every where you click looks the same and no organization or structure to OS .

It is no longer this goes here and that goes there :eek::eek::eek:it is every thing is all one yes all one:eek: and no organization or structure to OS.

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

No, no one here understands you cause it sounds like you've had one sugar cube too many.

Make yourself a cup of chamomile tea and reread what you said out loud.

14. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think this can be explain in short message .I'm not sure what words to use or how to explain this.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That's cool. Everyone in my family is somewhat old and slightly computer illiterate so they're sticking with... well they all have windows 7 now.

Earlier this year my grandmother upgraded her horrible laptop to a 17 inch HP that had... well pretty much everything (dual core, 4gb ram, etc.) and me, being on my 300 dollar netbook with a 1ghz processor and a gig of ram, had the slowest computer in the house (Mom and sister both have Win 7 laptops) but was also the most tech savvy.

I have a Mac now (of course) and I'm off at college so they haven't seen it yet, however I doubt they'd buy one.

16. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

17. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Okay, you like Mac OS, fine. However, a lot of your arguments make no sense.

What's wrong with DLLs? Unix has its own equivalent (file extension is .so). Would you rather everything was built using static libraries? There are advantages and disadvantages to doing that. Personally, I think that it should be up to the application developer not the OS. The use of .dll and .so gives this flexibility.

The registry is also a good idea in principle. Somewhere to keep settings centrally, rather than loads of .plist files knocking around. Not so bad in Mac OS, but similar issues drive me mad in Linux. So, the registry is good, it's just not been used very well historically.

Let's not all pretend that Mac OS is perfect and the last word in being user friendly. In terms of usability, it's not that big of a departure from Windows. You only find Mac OS easy because you have been using a lot of the same ideas in Windows for years. If you were useless with using your computer running Windows, you are probably going to be the same for Mac OS.

Your posts are all over the shop, making it a bit difficult to understand and you seem to contradict yourself. One minute Windows is harder to use and the next it is easier so that even children and grandparents can use it. Then you complain that it's disorganized but also completely consistent (looks the same everywhere).

Also, what does KDE have to do with anything? ;)

18. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So, yes on English not being your first language? If so, it's okay. Not everybody speaks English as their primary...

Secondly: Both Windows and OSX have their flaws. One might seem easier to use for you, but for somebody else, it could be terribly complex.

For me, after basically using Macs for a good two years, I've realized that I could do a LOT more with Windows. Not to say it's easier to use or anything, I just grew up with it, have had more exposure, plus all of my technology classes in school favor Windows :)rolleyes:). And again, not to say it's not possible doing it on Macs, I just...don't know how?

19. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

nice i am in the midst of working on that now, i have my brother sorted dad has my old mac mini but i am trying to convince him to get a imac or a newer model mini. Mum the only apple thing she has a is a ipod shuffle lol

20. nec207, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011

nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any thing I read on the internet some people like DLL files and other people hate DLL files.Not sure abou Unix but Linux uses DLL files.

And no idea what you mean by libraries?

Some people like registry other people not.

But the registry like DLL is easy for malware programmers to mess up your computer.

I think this thread is all over the place and that is why the confusion here and trying to bring different windows version into the mix that is confusing everyone .

Too much detail just going to confuse the reader.

21. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

No. It's that you are not intelligent and make things up as you go with no real knowledge of what you are talking about.

22. nec207, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a advance windows user and have no problem using older window version at all.

I can do a dances around Mac users of the older windows version .And if my explanation is not good take it or leave it , I don't have to explain to anyone I'm not getting money to do so. And the post is readable for the most part if you read it slow I SAY SLOW , I have been posting on the net for a long time and for the most part I have had no problems other than at macrumors where some members are confused.

So I hate windows 7 and vista GUI the way it looks so what .Some people Like it and some people hate it.Some people like the way OS X look and some people hate it.

If you going to think I'm a anti windows user you going to get walked over by me .On like some Mac user yes and I say again on like some Mac users yes I have used windows the older versions and have had no problems with older versions at all , it just I hate windows 7 and vista.I like DOS and windows 3.1 better than windows 7 do to you had to know what you are doing and you laern alot about compter that way.Yes and if you learn DOS and windows 3.1 it very eay to use windows and you understand what you going .

The days before plug and play where you had to use jumper setting and CMOS setting teaches you alot about computers.

But oh Microsoft is dumping down windows for 7 year old kid with windows vista and windows 7 and very very very very very crappy way of doing it too.May be Microsoft should have made it look like iPhone you cannot get more simple than that for a 2 old to use.

And go find a Mac user that never used windows and post your pro-windows crap you not going to get any where with me .

I say again I have no problems with older windows versions and like the older windows versions better than windows vista and windows 7.

That me say it in simple terms for a 7 year old kid to understand in this post DOS,windows 3.1,windows 95,98 Me is not users friendly for a kid but very user friendly for a advance computer user.

Yes DOS,jumper setting ,CMOS setting ,windows 3.1 and lack of plug and play is not users friendly but it teaches you a lot about computers and you gain this knowledge and than it becomes easier and easier .

And simple crude GUI is easier than GUI for 7 old kid.Go to any computer store and walk in room where tech is working on the computer and you see they use Command line more than GUI and use the Recovery Console alot where a most Mac users would be screaming here.

Most Mac users would be screaming if you say you have to use windows 3.1 or windows 95.

If you think I'm anti-windows user you can see I do not bash the older windows versions.

23. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also I think you need to learn how to read as stated the confusion.Well lucky I know how to read.

24. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

We understand those things. We just don't understand YOU. :rolleyes:

I mean the title says one thing then you rant on about DLL's and registry........:confused:

25. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Read the last 2 post not the first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.