I got my white iphone4 & mywi 4/28 and att emailed me 2day re:tether. what do i do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by muckymucky, May 3, 2011.

1. muckymucky macrumors member

muckymucky

double post from the pdanet thread but,

I got my white iphone 4 and setup mywi on 4/28, been tethering since that and att emailed me just now about tethering. what do i do?

info:
    "so i just got off the phone with ATT because i got that email and they just denied that it was something wrong with their system and did not take my argument that i wasnt tethering (my lie)

basically they told me because i just got the white iphone 4 with ios 4.3.2 that the new ios (4.3.2) has a new security feature to detect internet tethering specifically.
    is that true?
    and would the pdanet feature hide this?
    someone's gotta know right? "

anyone know whats up now?

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Pony up baby and go legit. You're most likely not using 4GB anyway and if you are, you're not using it right.

3. The General macrumors 601

What is the point of mywi anymore? TetherMe (and other hacks that are much cheaper or free) enables native wifi tethering. AT&T hasn't emailed me yet, and i tether quite regularly.

4. mltaylor macrumors regular

I use a few gigs a month without tethering so I know I don't want to change to the 4 gig tethering plan ATT offers

5. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

AT&T has been doing this for at least a month now.

6. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

What are you doing on your phone? Only way I could go over is by streaming movies but I only do this on WiFi anyway.

7. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Pony up indeed.

All you freeloaders cost paying customers more money and higher prices.

#getwiththeprogram.

8. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

free tether fo life .... ya heard

9. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

im going to reefer u to this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1140306 im guessing if u disobey them then they will just change your plan. any way they it would be awesome to test this out to see if this is how att is actually finding out. if u do this and don't get another message and your plan not changed then we will find out.

10. muckymucky thread starter macrumors member

muckymucky

does tetherme do something different than mywi?
    do you have 4.3.2? or the white iphone 4? cuz the lady claimed now there is "new security features" with in 4.3.2 or the white iphone 4 that allows them to "detect" mywi.

pony up...? do you want to pony up and paypal me $45 every month?

how do we even know the TTL works with this newly claimed "4.3.2 new security feature"?

11. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

just pay the difference or stop using it. Nobody is going to give you the money for it. Of course at&t busted you. You're stealing from them. You just told us all you lied to them about tethering.

12. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i doubt there is a new security feature, the att people are the worst informed, they just want u to pay. and im sure if there was some sort of software on the phone the jail breaking community would find it, so if u want u can just wait a couple days till that ios version is public. but it seems that att is not only basing there accusations to people who tether on some "secret security feature" but also how much data your using. so idk

13. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Except that, per his other thread, he's used less than 2GB data, even with tethering. He's not stealing anything from AT&T.

And I resent the implication of "freeloaders." I regularly use 5-7GB a month without tethering. I've paid for unlimited data for years. On my BlackBerry I'd barely hit 500MB, on my iPhone 3G I stayed around 2GB, on my iPhone 4 and now my Inspire I use at least 4GB with a high of over 9GB for a couple of months. WITHOUT TETHERING.

14. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Do you want sympathy for breaking the rules, getting caught, then lying about it? Just pay to tether. I do, it's not that bad.

15. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

unjailbreak your phone, walk into AT&T and demand that they show you how you could have possibly tethered. Then demand $500 for wasting your time.

DO IT!

16. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

VZW is sounding really good right now, especially considering that you would not have to put up with att's foolishness.

17. muckymucky thread starter macrumors member

muckymucky

thats a great idea. doubt i'll get anything for it =*( fml

18. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes Verizon sounds good but try tether a Netflix movie with your laptop or Apple TV and have people call you. Can't do data and voice at same time with big Red.

19. mltaylor macrumors regular

I stream pandora or slacker radio in my car anytime I'm in it. Every once in a while I'll stream the live feed to the Razorbacks college baseball games. I have the MLB at bat app so I stream live games when I am at work.

I would use Wifi but obviously in my car I can't and I can't at work because it is terribly slow and blocks certain things.

I don't tether but would like the option with the unlimited plan I have.

20. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

All a carrier these days is is a giant pipe of 1s and 0s. Saying the use of tethering apps is "stealing" goes right in line with 3rd party VoIP apps. AT&T just is being competed with for tethering services and those tether services happen to be free. Welcome to capitalism.

BTW Just to infuriate those "Do gooder ideal good patrons" I just got back from a two bus rides where 8 laptops, 3 iPads and 15 iPod touches all tethered to my droid for internet ripping through a whopping 2Gigabytes. It was beautiful.

21. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Thats coool! I typically place movies on pause anyway when I receive a call, kinda annoying to talk on phone and watch a movie at the same time, so this is a non issue

22. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

lol......

23. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

If you don't go over 4GB, then you're not using it to full potential. Pandora? Netflix? Slingplayer? MLB at bat? HBO Go? I use my unlimited. Streaming video is one of my favorite things to do while doing cardio at the gym.

Back to topic, sucks you got caught, but maybe try tetherme. I don't think anyone know how they are catching people unauthorized tethering, just guesses. If you don't need it, then don't do it.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im sure Verizon will start doing the same, dont think they will not care.
    And I'd rather not deal with Verizons slowwwww 3G speeds and without data and voice at the same time.

Wow, what did they all pull around 56 kilobytes per second?:D

25. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I'd have to agree. Verizon is rock solid coverage and pretty good 3G speeds but since I love in SoCali Att coverage is amazing as well with the benefits of better speed, voice + data, and the ability to sell your phone more easily since most of the rest of the world is gsm makes Att better for me personally.

I wouldn't expect Verizon to wait too long to start upgrading people to tethered plans. Look at how Att went to tiered data plans first (which Verizon will follow). Verizon will do the same with tethering lockdown as well...