I got ripped off today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dazedxar, Sep 30, 2013.

1. dazedxar macrumors member

Visit the Apple Store today to buy a case for my 5s. On my way out of the store, I stop by one of those accessory kiosks and decided to buy a screen protector and have the person install it. I could never install the protector perfectly with no air bubbles.

I thought it would be $10 max, but it when the guy said $33 I had a heart attack. I gave them my money, what else could I do? I came home with a head full of steam.

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Not pay?

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Why didn't you ask them how much it was before doing it?

4. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

5. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

lol, the guy was probably like who is this idiot having me do this without asking how much it will cost.

6. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

exactly! I would of told them to take it off. I did not know the price prior and was not expecting to pay that much - done and walk away.

7. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Funny thing how you mention that . I went to the Apple store yesterday to add Apple Care ,and saw a kiosks and was interested too until I asked the price . Lol. I walked away ... Since the 2g I've never used a screen protector . I just follow a simple rule . Keys and coins ect.. in my left pocket , iPhone in my right pocket and nothing else !

8. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Ouch!!!...$33 for a screen protector?!. Just learn to ask next time.

9. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

That must be some special screen protector for that price. Better be the glass screen protectors lol

But I mean it is your fault for not asking though. but I would be pissed too.

10. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Was at in the galleria in Houston by any chance? Those guys sold me a counterfeit Mophie case a while back, had a huge argument with them over it but even Mophie confirmed it was a counterfeit so I persisted and got my money back.

I would never ever buy anything from any of those kiosks ever again, this Mophie case looked just like the real deal and was sealed within proper Mophie packaging but the internals of it were a joke and it didn't work at all.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I can't imagine having something like this done without asking for the price in advance
    Hard to say you got ripped off if you didn't bother to ask

12. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Howcome people actually put theirs keys and coins in the same pocket as their iPhone? I though that it would be common sense not to do that lol. I guess it's just my nature to put my iPhone in my right pocket. And only my iPhone. And my wallet in my left pocket. Although that all I ever carry lol.

13. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

same reason why I don't buy ANYTHING from those kiosk. you can buy the same cases/chargers/cables/screen protectors on the bay from china for a ton less.

14. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

That's your fault. You asked for the service and you got it, you are obligated to pay. It's not the vendors fault you didn't ask how much it was prior to getting it done.

15. dazedxar thread starter macrumors member

You guys are right I should've asked how much before having them install it. But being that overpriced never came to my mind. I will take it as an expensive lesson in life I guess.

I am going to try my hardest to get my money worth. On the receipt, it say unlimited lifetime warranty. I am going to get it reinstalled many many times for any stupid reasons I find.

16. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

he doesn't, re-read the quote. I do the same.

17. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Well good lesson for you.

The dude who put the screen protector on your phone must be "Apple Store" version of "Accessory Store". He must have done quality job.

18. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

19. henryonapple macrumors 6502

20. dazedxar thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is perfect, I couldn't have install it myself with the same result or even come close to it at all. It also came with a microfiber cloth for cleaning finger smudges.

21. corygreenwell macrumors member

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

-that person that sold you your screen protector

22. itjw macrumors 65816

And you will pay for the installation... get this: EVERY TIME YOU DO THAT.

Please please please ask about how the warranty works before you make another incorrect assumption (and end up getting taken advantage of again). That's what happened here after all, you didn't get ripped off, you got taken advantage of, and there is a BIG difference.

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Next you're going to tell me it was Zagg. [​IMG]

Friendly heads up: never have bodywork done on your car by some random dude in a truck who rolls down his window and yells a quote to you in the Home Depot parking lot, and never pay for "roofing sealant" from door-to-door solicitors.

There now, you're coming out ahead on this. [​IMG]

24. Che Castro macrumors 603

you probably got ghost armor and thats been the price for a while for a full body protector
    back
    front
    sides

the ipad cost almost $50 for a full body

zagg is the same price too

and btw it is a lifetime warranty but to have them install it again is another $10

so rethink that "I am going to get it reinstalled many many times for any stupid reasons I find."

25. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I am not going to give you a hard time. It was a lapse.