I got the iphone with the subsidized price. What happens if I sell my iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stateofmind, May 6, 2009.

1. stateofmind macrumors regular

and cancel my iphone plan? Will they want their unsubsidized price back. Meaning the $299 that was cut off the price when I purchased it.

2. Resist macrumors 68030

Why not call AT&T and ask them, instead of asking here? But the answer is no. They will get enough back from you due to the plan cancellation.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You will have to pay the $175 ETF. Then, maybe, you will be able to bye another one... although I *highly* doubt it.

4. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

I worded my opening post wrong. I meant to say I would cancel my iphone DATA plan. I would still be an AT&T customer.

So if I cancel my iPhone data plan, will they demand the phone back or will it still belong to me?

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

You cannot cancel your data plan with the iPhone 3G, its a requirement

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The question, albeit quite strangely worded due to being split up - half in the title and half in the body of the message - was this:

"If I bought a subsidized iPhone, what happens if I sell the iPhone..." (implied here is that the OP has some other GSM phone to fall back on) "... but remain an AT&T customer? Can I cancel my data plan?"

The answer: If you are no longer using an iPhone, then you are perfectly permitted to shut off the data plan with no problem. Just make sure you've removed the SIM card from the iPhone and inserted it in a non-iPhone before you contact customer service.

Oh, and to avoid accusations of fraud, never place the SIM card back in your iPhone ever again unless you are prepared to turn the data plan back on.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sorry dude, you can't cancel the Data Plan. It is required to have an iPhone, also you signed a contract to have a Data Plan for 2 years, small text says it all;)

8. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

So if I say my iphone doesnt work anymore and dont want another, they will "lock" or brick that specific phone so I cant sell it?

I'd hate to do that, but I simply cant justify paying that extra 30 bucks a month in this financial environment

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They'll probably tell you to send it apple for repair. Other then canceling the contract outright (and paying the cancellation fee) your options are extremely limited.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you tell them your phone doesn't work and you don't want another, they'll still charge you every month.

11. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

This is NOT TRUE. I sold an iPhone 3G last November, after buying it at launch in July, and started using my old Razr again. AT&T was perfectly nice about it, canceled the iPhone data plan immediately. When I later (and not much later) jumped through some hoops to get another iPhone :)rolleyes:) , they were equally accommodating in re-establishing the data plan.

When you sign the obligatory 24-month contract while purchasing a device, you are not obligated to keep the device, or any particular plan that goes with it if you sell it. You're obligated to retain service on that line for the term of the contract, unless you pay the ETF. What is true is that if you have an iPhone active on a line, you must have the data plan to go with it.

Oh, and they won't brick your iPhone so that you can't sell it.

12. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

Did you simply say "I sold my iphone so I want to cancel my data plan"?

13. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Nope.

If the OP had been asking about cancelling his service entirely, then your comment about the 2-year term would have been relevant.

However, that's not what the OP was asking about.

As long as the OP is using an iPhone on AT&T's network, regardless of whether it's been that way for 2 months, 2 years, or 2 decades, the data plan is mandatory according to the current contract wording. But even that is not what the OP is asking about.

Instead, the OP is asking about getting rid of the iPhone entirely, and switching his account over to a different phone that isn't an iPhone. And the OP can do that at any time without penalty.

As soon as the OP switches his SIM card out of his iPhone and into any other model of phone, he is released from his obligation to pay for the data plan. He may then cancel the data portion of the plan at any time and continue to use his normal voice service with any other phone he wishes.

It's none of AT&T's business that you resold the iPhone, provided you continue to live up to your subsidy conditions. So there's no need to volunteer that information.

Why not simply say, "I'm not using my iPhone any more. (Go ahead and scan the system to confirm this.) Please get rid of my data plan."

14. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Thanks a lot!

15. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Ok that makes sense

sorry the OP's original question was quite confusing