I got the riMac 5k and it is so big that I am

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cape Dave, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Cape Dave, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

Cape Dave macrumors 68000

almost having thoughts of returning it. Am I crazy? I really liked my Dell 24 inch monitor size. I knew how close to sit and had that size for about a decade (used to it for sure).

I LOVE the clear text and the 5k monitor for sure. But it is HUGE and I tend to sit close and feel cut off from other things. Not sure if it is good for my eyes being so close either.

It is much bigger than just 24 inch to 27 inch because of large bezel, chin, etc.

Will I ever get used to it? I have both monitors side by side and the graininess of the text on the Dell is well, GRAINY.

I am leaning towards keeping this but it is a big decision.

The IDEAL computer for me would be a 4k or 5K Apple monitor but 24 inches, NOT 27. My TV is only 27 inches :) And a high end Mac mini That would be perfect for me.

Alas, there are none of those monitors yet and I suspect that it will be 27 inches when it comes :)

Any others out there going thru similar changes?

2. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

How about a base model refurbished Mac Pro with the 24" Dell 4k display used in HiDPI mode?

3. Cape Dave thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I had thought of that as well. To be clear, my current Dell is 24 inch but NOT 4k. but it is 16x10 and 1900x1200 or something like that.

But this iMac monitor is real sweet, albeit BIG. I waver on whether I can get used to it or not.

Right this minute, I think I am crazy for even thinking of ditching it :)

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

5. Cape Dave, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

Cape Dave thread starter macrumors 68000

LOL! Yeah, I tried that of course :) And moving my chair back and forth as well. And changing the resolution alot too :)

All that is good, and eventually I will find the right combo. Maybe it is because this monitor is just so far ahead of its time.

The text is so clear it makes me think I could write a book.

6. y-Rex macrumors newbie

I made a similar switch from a samsung 1080p 24 inch monitor to a 27 inch 5k imac. It does seem like a big difference but I like it and have gotten used to it already. I think you should stick with it and push the monitor slightly back to compensate for the extra size. The screen is a beauty and that alone makes the purchase worth keeping in my opinion.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

You will get used to it and after a week you won't know how you could live without it the whole time..

8. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I had the same thoughts when I got my first 27" iMac. But believe me you will get used to it just as I did. At least give it the 14 days (or whatever return policy is) and see how it goes.

9. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

The 27 is normal to me now. I wouldn't think of going smaller from now on. I have it set up so there are two Safari windows open side by side so you're normally looking at one, while the other is opened 3/4 down the screen and there's an iTunes window and twitter window opened below it.

10. kathyricks macrumors 6502

For me, even 24" is too big, heavy and unwieldy. My ideal iMac would be a 21" with 4K screen. Would also be ideal from a price standpoint (would likely retail for only $1499.00).

11. Cape Dave thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I get that. I could even have two monitors that size with no issues :)

It has been almost 2 weeks for me which is why I am getting nervous.

Also, it probably does not help that my computer glasses were custom made for a different distance/monitor size etc.

I am just going to trust that I will get used to it. Need new computer glasses anyways.

It is a fantastic product. People can say what they will about Apple, but I think they put out a truly excellent product. And this one is a game changer. Maybe not as sexy as an iPad, but still a game changer.

12. tyche macrumors 6502

Just try sizing your windows appropriately so your eyes don't have to travel over the whole screen. I think you will like it once you get accustomed. Even going from a 21" to 24" is a big jump but it becomes not only normal but needed. The 27" will do the same. No question it is a big screen!

13. Cape Dave thread starter macrumors 68000

Excellent point. That is one of the big differences that is the hardest for me to adapt to.

I even got an app that lets me SNAP some windows to half screen. Even with that, it is still something that I have not had to do for the past decade (most of which is in front of my computer) and therefore more of an adaptation that I would prefer, given a choice.

14. Carlos840 macrumors member

like others have said, you will get used to it. I had the same reaction when i went from my 24" iMac to my 27", after a week you will nto want to go back.

15. tillsbury macrumors 65816

This. I can't get over how small the imac is, as I'm used to a Dell 30" monitor. My Viewsonic 24" I bought over a decade ago felt immense when I first got it, now I wonder how I ever worked on a screen so small.

16. thingstoponder macrumors 6502

thingstoponder

I think you'll get used to it. I used to *hate* the 27 inch model at first and then I used it more and fell in love with it. I plan to get one.

17. Cape Dave thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks all for listening. I also believe I will get to like it OK. It just seems to be taking longer than I thought.

I'll take a deep breath and see if I can relax a bit. Other than that adaptation issue, I really like the computer. Added 16GB Ram tonight for a total of 24.

Considering I basically only surf and email, and build a website here and there, I should be fine :)

18. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Choose a dark desktop picture and keep the window sizes smaller. I know what you mean about the Dell 24". I have one at work and it is comfortable to view.

19. odedia macrumors 65816

I thought the same thing when I first watched a movie on my 140" projector screen.

Now it just looks right.

You'll get used to it :)

20. Cape Dave thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I made the main surfing window smaller and centered it. Good for now. Good tip about darker background. I will work on that.

----------

Little by little, I think I will be OK :)

21. apfelmann macrumors 6502

I was a little underwhelmed when I put my new retina imac on my desk ... thought the screen would look bigger.

but it's ok

we probably won't get a bigger retina screen for the next 5 years or so