I Got the Sh*t owned out of me by my MOM

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carbonmotion, Oct 28, 2007.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I flew home over the weekend to see my parents and while I was there, my Dad asked me to help him figure out the 12" digital picture frame that he just bought. Naturally, I puffed my chest and used my authoritative tone. "Look I'm sure i can just use wi fi to load the picture frame as a smb share and drop pictures on to the frame." I said. After an hour and half of trying, I was unable to get a signal from the picture frame. Then my mom comes home she walks up to me and was like "Hi sweetie how are you... is that hard? etc" And I was like, "I got it under control mom" and then she was like "maybe you just put this token in to this socket and it will work." The "token" was a SD card from her camera and the hole was an unmarked sd card slot. I realized then and there that the picture frame wasn't wifi at all and I had no idea what gave me the impression that it was in the first place. Indeed when she plugged the card in to the slot, the display lit up with pictures. Pwned by my technologically illiterate mother. I am ashamed to be technophile today.

2. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

lols. "Token".

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Oh dear oh dear... actually my dads got me once or twice this week, but not like that:p

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

:D

Always helps to have a different perspective.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

one would think you'd look at the user manual after half an hour of fiddling around. :rolleyes:

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It took you 90 minutes to figure out that something didn't have wireless? :p I would have given up after 10, 15, or maybe 20 minutes if I was feeling patient that day.

10. Evangelion macrumors 68040

That's nothing, I got owned by my wife few years ago. Well, she wasn't my wife back then, but still. She went to study about 800 kilometers away, and I assembled her a computer so she could use the net and carry out her studies in the dorm, as opposed of going to the university-library all the time. The computer seemed to work fine, and I was quite pleased with myself.

Well, as soon as she got the computer, she started having issues with it. The computer itself worked fine, but it kept on disconnecting from the net. I tried to help her over the phone as much as possible. I instructed her to check the cables, open the case of the computer and check that the Ethernet-card was inserted to the PCI-slot properly etc. etc. This went on for few days, and things didn't get any better and she was getting quite desperate and annoyed. I had her run traceroutes and everything, but no help. I was at a loss as to what the problem was.

Then, one day she called me and said "I fixed the problem, all by myself". What she had done was that once again when the computer disconnected from the net, she took a screwdriver and opened the case. She then looked inside the computer and thought to herself "you know, that Ethernet-card looks to be twisted....". She then loosened the screw that was holding the card in place, and it started to work. it turns out that when I put the computer together, I had tightened the screw that holds the ethernet-card in place too tightly and it caused the card to get slightly twisted, and that caused it to drop the net-connection. I would have never thought of that myself, yet she spotted the problem all by herself and fixed it by herself! Hell, she wasn't even afraid to open the case of the computer and much around with the insides!

Damn!

11. iGav macrumors G3

I thought this thread was going to involve arm wrestling.