I guess the universal dock wont work with iphone5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I have a universal dock but I guess its obsolete now?

I looked at the adapter but due to the size of it I cant see that being usable in the existing universal dock.

I notice there is no mention of a replacement dock on Apples site either.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. MacJones macrumors 6502

Last week I sold my universal dock with my iPhone 4 on craigslist to get some extra cash. I only used it to charge my iPhone 4 so there was no point keeping it with the new port.

3. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Hmmm I love the dock on my bedside table. Id imagine there will be a new one. Not impressed with the design of the adapter, thought Apple would have designed something a lot smaller

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If apple doesn't provide a new model once the new phones are available there will be alternatives from other brands very soon.

5. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

LOL ur dissapointeD? its so much smaller then the 30pinit replaced.

its now the size of micro usb

any smaller it would be stupid

6. JoshS macrumors member

I think that was a reference to the 30 pin adapter and not the lightening connector.

7. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Hopefully there will be a compatible dock coming out soon. I have 3 docks around my house that I can't use. The lightning adapter scares me a little. It seems tall and I don't know what kind of strain that may put on either side of the connector when plugging it into a 30 pin dock. I thought about the cable but that seem like a weak solution.

8. JoshS macrumors member

I thought I saw an interview in an article the other day with apple where they said they're not planning to release a new dock.

9. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

The third-party companies are ramping up to pump out the iPhone 5 toys I'm sure....

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The adapter actually has a circuit board in it with a USB audio chip to provide analog audio output. I'm sure they would have made it smaller if they could.