I guess the Windows world lulled me into a false sense of security

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by justben1369, Nov 9, 2007.

1. justben1369 macrumors newbie

I'm assuming that Mac applications in iWorks aren't doing periodic automatic saves as I had in the windows world where a crash in an application set you back only a 15 minutes or so vs many hours.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Way to be specific. Do you have a question or are you just here to show us you can use the words "windows" and "security" in the same sentence?

I don't use iWork so I can't help you so I hope your post is a statement and not a question then I won't wander away feeling bad. ;)

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That is correct. Mac apps do not tend to compensate for bad user habits in the same way that Windows does. Periodically saving your files is something you should do as a reflex. Cmd+S. Learn it, live it, love it.

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I imagine it is coming, this feature is available in TextEdit.

If you use Office:Mac, this is also implemented, along with auto recovery.

5. justben1369 thread starter macrumors newbie

That was an old habit I was happy to break vs re-learn.

Yes, I suspect it is coming and but not sure why it's not here now.

Thanks all. Point being there's no answer out there such as a temp directory etc and I'm not hearing that.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well you didn't actually ask that question. If you ask that question there may be an answer but you kind of have to ask a question instead of cite some declaration of a missing feature.

However, auto save or not cmd+s @ home and ctrl+s @ work happens almost without me realizing it is so natural.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

TextEdit won't autosave a document you have not already saved. This way you know where that document is at all times.

Autosave has littered crap across my hard drives... I just create the document, then every couple minutes save the file. It isn't that annoying, really.

8. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

You just have to learn to type REALLY fast to outpace any crashes. Or you could just learn that cmd S deal.

9. Viremia macrumors regular

That's a load of BS. Mac apps compensate for bad habits all over the place. How about Time Machine? Why was it implemented? Because Mac users just like Windows users don't back up frequently or at all.

The exclusion of an autosave feature is pretty stupid. Expecting perfect adherence to rules and conventions is ignorant. They should have offered that feature as it isn't all that difficult to do and would save lots of people problems.

10. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Ditto for me. I have always hated auto-save.

It leaves little "ghosted" files all over which often get orphaned from the original and it has never once "saved my ass" or whatever in terms of recovering a document during a crash.

If I had a nickel for every time some user in the labs crashed out of MS Word, and we tried to resurrect the file from the "ghost" and it TOTALLY FAILED, I would be rich already. :)

I also don't understand why the heck Pages was crashing for the OP so much that this would be a problem anyway. :confused: Sounds like something is wrong there.

11. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

ditto, who crashes their mac all the time to NEED auto-save?

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As has been stated above I'm just surprised you got Pages to crash at all. I'm using Leopard which is at the moment not as stable as Tiger but I still have not managed to crash the latest version of Pages '08. What is the crash that you are experiencing? Can you give us any details. Perhaps the solution is to fix the problem (i.e stop the crashing) rather than implementing a stupid auto save feature.

Edit : Bah just noticed the poster above me bumped this thread :(.