I guess Trump doesn't understand how newspapers work either

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

They didn't append a note because they figured anyone with even the simplest grasp of news publishing would've figured it out for themselves.

2. HEK Suspended

HEK

Bad assumption......our so-called president can't or won't grasp such simplistic things. Use cartoon pictures.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Okay.

[​IMG]

BL.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This man is an embarrassment.

Actually, he is an excruciating embarrassment.

Worse, he is an incompetent, narcissistic, petulant, thin-skinned, neurotic, and clueless embarrassment.

And worst of all, he is a dangerously incompetent, narcissistic, petulant, thin-skinned embarrassment with terrifying gaps in his knowledge of how key institutions in the US work, and major issues of impulse control and entitlement. And anger.

Oy vey.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He isn't the only one with those gaps in that knowledge; quite a few with those same gaps actually take part in this forum.

Oy vey, indeed.

BL.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not to understand the function of the courts, not to understand the function of the media........what world did this guy grow up in?

Clearly, one of an alternative reality where his every whim, demand and tantrum was indulged.

Sigh.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I think that many Trump supporters are excited about his outsider status and the fact that he's a successful businessman. Perhaps also that he speaks his mind. That's all well and fine on principle - but the office of POTUS demands something that Trump can't (or won't do): Put the job before himself. His supporters should know that they will (if not already) be put under the bus with him...

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Because he doesn't read. If it's not on TV....

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Of course; when they deal in nothing but fake news and alternative facts, it doesn't take much for one to wonder why education in this country isn't even cracking the top 10 of the countries in the world with the best education.

When Russia is above you on that...

BL.

10. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

One wonders exactly what proportion of Trump supporters realise (or would admit) that their hero is indeed making USA a laughing stock around the world.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

There response would be they don't care what goes on in the rest of the world, not understanding that no matter how great they think America is, no country can go it totally alone and be successful.

12. Scepticalscribe, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

They are trying to persuade themselves that this is irrelevant.

They do not see - or cannot see - that to wilfully denigrate, and insult old allies, new allies, long-standing allies, friends, states with whom you share common goals, - is neither clever nor prudent - let alone diplomatic - and is, at best counterproductive.

However, I am really beginning to come to the conclusion that Mr Trump is - psychologically - unable to deal with dissent, let alone advisors and aides offering alternative facts, perspectives or opinions, and seems to react with little but incoherent rage if thwarted, or checked, or challenged.

Unfortunately, this is a man who had been used to adoring acolytes, or fawning sycophants and unquestioning and enabling accomplices all his life.

The concept of "loyal opposition" seems to be beyond him.

And his incandescent and outraged responses this past week to legal challenges to his EO suggest to me that he hasn't the foggiest idea of just what the function and role - and powers - of the courts are - not least, in their incarnation as guardians of the constitution.

Likewise, he strikes me as someone who hasn't a notion of just what the separation of powers in a democracy actually means in practice. I suspect that he never fully understood the nature of the oath he swore three weeks ago.

13. HEK Suspended

HEK

Ok....but what do you REALLY find as problamatic with out so-called president. AND TRY NOT TO HOLD BACK THIS TIME. :rolleyes:

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Capitals?

I assume that this is ironical.

Er, no - actually, believe it or not, I am understating my concerns.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sounds like he understands that print media is dead.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And so he seeks to govern - um, sorry "rule", oh dear, perhaps I should have written - "reign" - by Twitter instead?

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Not govern, direct attention. Here we are discussing the issue.

18. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

How can any media and media really big like say the New York Times do fake news to get information on what really happen?

It like some news reporter seeing cop cars and the police have it all blocked off and will not give any information to the reporter!! Than the reporter does fake news saying there was shooting there and the cops saying no it not!! It was a robbery.

It still fake news to get the truth.

If Trump does not want to give information than the New York Times should not do fake news to try to get the information out of him.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So he likes to direct our attention to what Nordstroms is selling? :rolleyes: Somehow that doesn't seem like a pressing issue for the American people.

20. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't even think this is about diverting attention.

I would think that the same deep insecurity that fuels his incessant bragging also compels him to watch every little detail they say or print about him and wait for something he can pounce upon. And like the loudmouth at the end of the bar, he just mouths off without knowing what he's talking about.

But then again, how does anyone who is 70 years old not know anything about publishing deadlines? Is he that stupid?

21. Scepticalscribe, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes. I think he is.

And I also think that he has lived so long in a world where everyone has fawned on him, where his acolytes and sycophants have anticipated his wants, (not to mention his needs), flattered him shamelessly, and fed his bottomless appetite and need for reassurance and attention that a world where his needs are not the determining factor and driving force of everyone around him is something - psychologically - that he appears to have been unable - and ill-equipped - to handle.

Above all, he appears to go wild with incoherent rage whenever anyone challenges or thwarts him.

In his business person CEO persona, I find myself idly wondering when was the last time that someone actually challenged him, or crossed him. I'd imagine that their career was fairly short.

So, it seems to me that this is a man who responds to challenges, and criticism by seeking to exclude, silence, or fire the critic. Or, - if those options don't exist - (and he can't fire everyone in the country - the United States is not yet an autocracy run by a narcissistic authoritarian with sociopathic tendencies) - then he seems to seek to undermine the credibility of those whom he persists in seeing as thwarting him.

That he cannot see that they are actually doing their job is very telling.

Now, there may be a lesson in this for those who insist that there is a role for thin-skinned CEOs with autocratic tendencies in politics: Do bear in mind that a world where when those around you were dependent on your good will - and hence may have thought twice before opening their mouths to "speak truth to power" is not necessarily the best training for a role in public life.

Some on here may have raged about Hillary Clinton's emails, and other aspects of her platform, but, with the possible exception of Richard Nixon, few politicians who have held high office have failed to understand 1) that criticism comes with public life in a republican democracy, and 2) that the separation of powers are fundamental to the proper functioning of the constitution and the institutional integrity of the US, and 3) that qualified advisors & experts are there to tell you what you can do, and what you can't do, and why, and shouldn't be excluded or silenced for that.

22. Zenithal macrumors 68040

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You know, you are right.

He makes G W Bush seem almost Socratic in his wisdom, and Sarah Palin not just highly intelligent but unusually well informed about matters such as geography, history, - and indeed, politics, and the separation of powers......

24. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Reading doesn't even have audience ratings! Sad!

25. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Uh, let's not go overboard.

Check out some of Sarah's clips on YouTube. That's some real authentic frontier gibberish there. :p