I guess Trump has "gotten there" - set to endorse Ryan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 5, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That was one of the most unenthusiastic and disingenuinous endorsements that I've seen in a while.

It was like watching a nine-year old boy who's being forced to apologize.

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Very out of character for Trump. No eye contact with the crowd, reading off the script. No passion.

Looks like he's starting to take the advice of his advisors.

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If Trump keeps this up I may not support him.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Wow. Such backhanded, satirical endorsements. It's probably a miracle he didn't wander further off the script there while doing the remarks for Ryan.. he was going somewhere and caught himself. The RNC must have told him something that actually stuck in his head for the time he was out there.

"I'm sorry I'm being forced to say I'm sorry I got caught making fun of your ugly dress"

(because my dad beat the tar out of me when he found out)
    "Yes. I am sorry... I am... sorry... although... yes, I am sorry..."

"I'm sorry that your dress was so incredibly ugly." no no noi, not that part, he'll kill me.

This guy, wow. Unbelievably insulting. If I were any of those candidates I'd be telling my staff not to put calls from Trump through to me because I wouldn't want to risk telling Trump to take his endorsement and stick it. I can just see McCain's eyes rolling. And Ryan, wow. Just shaking his head.

This is the Speaker of the House he's endorsing. I wonder what Boehner thinks of all this.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I'm not a fan of Ryan - but I wonder how much he even needs Trump's endorsement and/or if that HELPS him. I'm not convinced. I'm sure Ryan has mixed feelings too. Feels dirty.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Trump had ladled on all that "Well I dunno if I'm there yet.." while Pence was trying to get the ticket back to looking like of course it supported the Republican Speaker of the House...

RNC surely only wanted Trump to quit messing around, say "of course I endorse our Speaker, of course I do." So like give him some little scripts for endorsements of Ryan and a couple more people he already should have endorsed instead of insulting, and just move the hell on. Priebus probably figured to check the boxes, sigh with relief, go put out some other fires. Maybe patch up the feelings of Pennsylvania GOP where Trump said their capital city looked like a war zone.

But now RNC and we see again that Trump resists even the slightest direction of his behavior. This is Trump's show. All others get out and walk.

But I'm with you. Ryan hardly needed that halftime gig. You'd have had to be stoned not to realize the "endorsements" Trump offered up were NOT HIS IDEA and were not genuine.

NOT MY IDEA NOT MY IDEA I HAVE THE BEST IDEAS.

Trump's playing to his supporters. They are not fans of these other pols anyway. They take their cue from him. Watching him give a reluctant, practically mocking thumbs-up to those candidates, wow. Their reaction was like "wha? um. yeah, ok sure good to know." Perfect from Trump's POV.

I don't get Trump's game but then he's not playing to me... or to the RNC. And Ryan? I guess he's friends w/ Reince Priebus but he must have been on the phone after that saying "Uh, that went well; don't do me any more favors."

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

After having figurative 2x4s applied to his head by his advisors, he can't hide how repugnant he thinks this mummer's farce is. What good is an endorsement if no one thinks you mean it?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2016 ---
    Tanning, drinking wine, and shaking his head, considering the groundwork for NLP, the Neuvo Lincoln Party. Naw, he's just happy to out of the mad house. :)

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No doubt Trump was forced to read that ransom note. They got to him because his sons are away killing endangered species.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Exactly what I was thinking at the time too. He was reading words that weren't even his. He wouldn't call Ayotte a "rising star". He doesn't say things like that.

I also thought how telling...to be giving random endorsements to people and they aren't even there. Usually if you were about to give a big endorsement of someone who is from a certain state that your rally is taking place in, that person would be up on stage with you.

It was truly the most insincere round of endorsements I have ever heard. I'm not sure this "New Trump" will go over any better than New Coke did. Over and over again I have heard his supporters say they like Trump because he "tells it like it is". Of course that isn't really true, but that's what they think. But this must look fake to even them, and I have to wonder if a bit of the shine starts coming off the nickel they thought they had if he starts looking insincere and fake like every other politician out there.