I hate bicyclists on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Maybe it's the fact I live in the "most biker friendly" city/state in the country, but I'll just say it - I ****ing hate bicyclists on the road.

Don't follow the rules, can't keep pace with traffic, don't look, don't signal, cut between lanes of traffic at red lights and keep going, just *******s with a holier-than-thou-if-you-hit-me-it's-your-fault-therefore-I-don't-have-to-have-common-decency-or-give-a-****-about-my-own-safety attitude.

Just now coming home from work tonight, what do I see? Some ****ing hipster (of course) on a bike cruising through downtown Minneapolis rush hour on the busiest three lane street, doing all of the above - the last straw was when I saw him latch onto the rear passenger door handle of the SUV behind me as I was in the middle lane and grab a ride (how stupid/dangerous is that) with no respect for the SUV. Then as I was coming to a stop he flung off the SUV and then cut RIGHT in front of me and then cut over to my driver's side and whizzed between the cars stopped at a red light before doing more idiocy further up.

If this guy thought it would be OK to latch onto my spoiler, it wouldn't have ended well. I would've slammed on the brakes, floored it, or swerved - you don't touch my property, let alone my moving vehicle, if you get hurt doing something completely stupid well too bad, I couldn't care less - you deserve it for being such a jackass and thinking that was ok to do.

Sorry but I'm really sick and tired of the bikes on the road having no regard for anything and thinking that the rules of the road don't apply to them. The untouchable attitude that they have as they break every rule of the road is really getting old.

/rant

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Maybe it's the fact I live in the "most biker friendly" city/state in the country, but I'll just say it - I ****ing hate bicyclists on the road.

Don't follow the rules, can't keep pace with traffic, don't look, don't signal, cut between lanes of traffic at red lights and keep going, just *******s with a holier-than-thou-if-you-hit-me-it's-your-fault-therefore-I-don't-have-to-have-common-decency-or-give-a-****-about-my-own-safety attitude.

Just now coming home from work tonight, what do I see? Some ****ing hipster (of course) on a bike cruising through downtown Minneapolis rush hour on the busiest three lane street, doing all of the above - the last straw was when I saw him latch onto the rear passenger door handle of the SUV behind me as I was in the middle lane and grab a ride (how stupid/dangerous is that) with no respect for the SUV. Then as I was coming to a stop he flung off the SUV and then cut RIGHT in front of me and then cut over to my driver's side and whizzed between the cars stopped at a red light before doing more idiocy further up.

If this guy thought it would be OK to latch onto my spoiler, it wouldn't have ended well. I would've slammed on the brakes, floored it, or swerved - you don't touch my property, let alone my moving vehicle, if you get hurt doing something completely stupid well too bad, I couldn't care less - you deserve it for being such a jackass and thinking that was ok to do.

Sorry but I'm really sick and tired of the bikes on the road having no regard for anything and thinking that the rules of the road don't apply to them. The untouchable attitude that they have as they break every rule of the road is really getting old.

/rant
You and my dad would be good friends.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
just like there are ******* drivers, there are ******* cyclists. We've got them in spades here in Chicago, too.

Full disclosure: I cycle/ride train to work every single day. Amazingly, I have never had brushes with death or anyone angry at me (hmm, wonder why.)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009

/rant
I can't stand the majority of bicyclists neither but I would NEVER intentionally try to hurt one of them. If they are holding up traffic, grabbing on to my vehicle, cutting me off, or anything stupid ..... it's doesn't matter. Purposely inflicting injury or death is just 100% dead wrong.

I never cycle in a annoying or stupid manner, but sometimes I don't make the best decisions when riding my motorcycle. The same way I would never intentionally hurt a bicyclist is the same way I wouldn't want someone intentionally causing injury to me on my motorcycle.

Nobody drives perfect. Would you want some angry 18 wheeler to intentionally ram into your car cause you cut him off?

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
...grabbing on to my vehicle...or anything stupid ..... it's doesn't matter. Purposely inflicting injury or death is just 100% dead wrong.
If you act like an idiot, you should suffer the repercussions. If you grab onto a moving vehicle at 15-30 MPH, and you win the Darwin award, you deserve it. You don't know whose vehicle you're grabbing onto, so you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. Depending on traffic, I most certainly would step on the gas, or give the steering wheel a little shake to get you off my vehicle. Probably wouldn't slam the brakes because damaging my car isn't worth it.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Kind of funny that you are upset at cyclist.

Just the other day a friend and I were out riding our motorcycles. Gentleman in SUV starts squeezing us out of our lane so we both honk our horns and get no response from driver. He just continues to carry on into our lane. We both brake and just back off to avoid being hit.

Ahead is a red light. We stop behind SUV and just start talking to each other about where we were heading and next thing you know, SUV driver is out of his vehicle verbally assaulting us about how bikers are such jerks. Will put it politely as I can not post what he really said to us here.

We just started to laugh at him because all we could think off was how stupid he was being and how upset he was because we honked our horn at him for cutting us off. He accused of thinking we owned the road.

So the same could be said for car and truck drivers as well. There are many bad drivers out there. We just have to be bigger than them. Never a need to harm anyone. Have been to many a scene where this has happened. One person usually takes a ride with me in the ambulance and one person gets a ride with the police. Never ends well for anyone.

CaptainCurd

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
Got t-boned on my bike by a Chevy Trailblazer running a stop sign at 20mph in broad daylight 3 weeks ago because he wasn't paying attention. I was traveling in the right lane of a three lane highway with no red or stop sign at that intersection for me. Thanks for your constructive post. I hate cars on the road. See? I, too, can hate an entire group of people based on the actions of a few *******s.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
If you act like an idiot, you should suffer the repercussions. If you grab onto a moving vehicle at 15-30 MPH, and you win the Darwin award, you deserve it. You don't know whose vehicle you're grabbing onto, so you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. Depending on traffic, I most certainly would step on the gas, or give the steering wheel a little shake to get you off my vehicle. Probably wouldn't slam the brakes because damaging my car isn't worth it.
Easily to say when your inside a car, until a huge truck hits you cause he doesn't like how you drive.

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Reminds me of the very amusing first chapter of the book "snow crash"

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
So you hate all bicyclists because of a few bad experiences? I guess I should hate all people who drive cars, since so few around here seem to know how to drive. I mean, I can't count how many times I've almost gotten hit on a crosswalk when the guy had a stop sign. I also can't count how many times I've almost got hit because a guy nearly turned right into me. I had to charge the rest of the way across the street because I don't like the idea of getting hit.

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
As someone that's been riding on and off for fitness, I URGE you to take a deep breath and consider your position. Other than the one you saw grabbing a door handle, have you ever seen one ACTUALLY impacting traffic flow or colliding with a vehicle? That act by that cyclist was actually illegal. By the way, bikes have been on the road MUCH longer than cars and trucks. If you review the traffic laws in your state I'm fairly confident all the rules of the road that apply to cars also apply to bikes, INCLUDING the right/ability to "take the lane" if the cyclist feels that it would be unsafe for a motor vehicle to pass them safely, this does mean that you could be stuck behind a cyclist on a narrow road but guess what, they have just as much right to be there as you. Yes, SOME will bend those rules (roll through a stop sign) but you may also find that "lane splitting" might be legal for a cyclists riding in a city.

Have you ridden a bike in city traffic? While an experienced cyclist shouldn't have a problem as far as bike control with removing a hand from the handlebar, consider also that doing so eliminates half their braking power. Reducing ones ability to control their bike or reducing braking power is definitely not a good idea in city traffic.

Your driver's license is a PERMIT to use the road, not a RIGHT. Conditions of that permit are that you follow the rules. Sure, bikes should follow the same rules, but that also means they CAN use the same traffic lanes as a car if there is a need to do so. In New York, the cyclist isn't required to ride on the shoulder. By the way, a motorist should give at least a 3 foot clearance when passing a bicycle. If a car is 6 feet wide, the lane would need to be 9 feet wide to safely pass.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Other than the one you saw grabbing a door handle, have you ever seen one ACTUALLY impacting traffic flow or colliding with a vehicle?
Absolutely, I get stuck behind one two three or four every damn day on that road in the right lane during rush hour. And then because they constantly ignore the red lights because they think the rules don't apply to them, it's a constant game of cat and mouse all the way down the road, trying to squeeze past one another over and over; they never can put themselves in a defined position in the lane - get in the middle and own it, or get off in the gutter as far to the side as you can. But half the time they are in the middle lane. Why the hell is a bike in the middle lane on a three lane road at rush hour? All the while at every red light when they come up and try to pass the cars waiting at the light, I have to worry that they are going to clip my side mirror with their handlebar or hit my car outright. I've seen them come inches from hitting cars when doing this over and over and over, and I absolutely have seen them hit cars when doing this on several occasions. Seen them grab door handles a few times too, tonight wasn't the first time. Saw some jackass on a skateboard grab onto someone's spoiler earlier this year and go for a ride.

Surely at the very least you don't really think the bikes don't impact traffic flow?

hallux said:
By the way, bikes have been on the road MUCH longer than cars and trucks.
I don't understand why this is always such a favorite argument of bikers. So what? What do you think about the bikers that bike on the road in situations where they have a defined, designated bike path? Where I run everyday has miles of running path along a road, and there's actually a separate, dedicated bike path just like my running path running right between my running path and the road Yet still, half the bikers are on the road. Why? Too good, too "professional" for the bike path?

hallux said:
If you review the traffic laws in your state I'm fairly confident all the rules of the road that apply to cars also apply to bikes
Absolutely, you should point this out to the bikers who don't follow ANY rules of the road they are supposed to - no stopping, no signaling, no looking, etc. etc.

hallux said:
Yes, SOME will bend those rules (roll through a stop sign)
In 100% seriousness I have never ever seen a bike stop if there was no cross traffic. Ever.

hallyx said:
Your driver's license is a PERMIT to use the road, not a RIGHT. Conditions of that permit are that you follow the rules. Sure, bikes should follow the same rules, but that also means they CAN use the same traffic lanes as a car if there is a need to do so.
I think the problem here is we need to give cyclists a written and road test to use their bike on city streets. They are the ones that need to understand using the road is a privilege, not a right where they can ruthlessly disregard the rules of the road with the elitist attitude that they are the most important and that everyone should and must cater to them. You would think cyclists would be the most defensive on the road for obvious reasons, but here in the most biker friendly state and hipster capital number 2 only to Portland, they've let it get to their heads.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I'm happy sharing the road with cyclists. That means, for my part, that I'll drive a safe distance behind them until there's a place to pass safely. In turn, all I ask is for people on bicycles to not make any sudden moves (like cutting in front of my car) and to move over and not ride side-by-side when I try to get by. I often encounter bike riders on a twisty road near here. The more they force me to go into the opposite lane to pass, the greater the danger to me and my passengers (and to them, if I have to swerve to avoid an oncoming vehicle.) All it takes is common sense from drivers and cyclists.

A few months ago, a guy in Alabama was arrested for endangerment after he posted videos of himself complaining about/harassing bicyclists on the road.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Here they yell at moms pushing strollers, families, etc while the going full speed on a level rec path! Of course they are riding $6K bikes (or more), wearing the full Euro racing roadie outfit and the Lance mushroom helmets. If they were real racers they would be up on the hills, riding the many grades, not posing on a rec path.

How did a good sport and fun thing attract so many morons?

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
For every 5 minutes of driving we do we all see another driver speeding, tailgating, running a red light, or doing something douchey or unsafe, yet we don't decide we hate all drivers in general. Also, other cars show you down all the time (stopped at a red light, blocking you from making a right, or making you wait when they are parallel parking), yet I doubt you post on the internet about it.

Someone on a bike doing nothing unsafe, and sticking to the rules, you don't even notice. Their presence does not even make it into your long term memory. And while the worst thing you have to complain about is them getting in your way and slowing you down for a few seconds, bicyclists have to worry about death and assaults.

I wear a helmet. I stay in the bike lane, or shoulder, and I never run red lights. Yet I have people yelling insults at me for no reason, I've had beer bottles and other things thrown at me by cars full of teenagers. I've been pushed off my bike, and i've had my bike stolen. I've had an old lady in a corvette hit me and run over my car, destroying it. I have never had people randomly screw with me, or endanger my life in 1 year of cycling, than 10 years of driving 2 hours every day. Receiving what cyclists call "the right hook" is almost a daily occurrence.

When a car hits a cyclist, more than half the time they flee, leaving the person to bleed to death on the side of the road, not even calling 9-11 to help their chances at surviving. And those that are caught just claim they did not see them, and all they receive is a 1 year suspension on their license. It's the softest punished manslaughter charge you could possibly get.

A person doing something unsafe on a 20 pound piece of aluminum is nothing compared to a person doing something unsafe in a 2 ton vehicle that can kill half a dozen people. God I wish the only thing I had to worry about on my bike is someone slowing me down by a few seconds. How many times have you had someone randomly throw a glass bottle at you when you were driving?

Last edited:

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I think the problem here is we need to give cyclists a written and road test to use their bike on city streets. They are the ones that need to understand using the road is a privilege, not a right where they can ruthlessly disregard the rules of the road with the elitist attitude that they are the most important and that everyone should and must cater to them. You would think cyclists would be the most defensive on the road for obvious reasons, but here in the most biker friendly state and hipster capital number 2 only to Portland, they've let it get to their heads.
Cause the written road test for your drivers license, along with speed cameras and patrol cars are doing so much to prevent the hundreds of thousands of vehicle related deaths per year, right? Not to mention operating a bicycle is a hundred times more simpler.

The majority of mistakes bikers make are done out of choice (laziness, impatience) and they are paying for those mistakes with their own bodily injury, unlike vehicles that claim other peoples lives and property. Let's let natural selection do it's job. Most of the time I witness this, it's kids and teenagers, who think they are invincible, and will do unsafe things in any mode of transportation they use.

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This thread is hilarious. So much fighting. I'll just weigh in on the following:

1. If you are cycling and 'latch' onto another car as a ride, you deserve to get hurt if you do; it's very dangerous, more so if the driver doesn't know.
  2. If you are cycling, always use the RIGHT lane. Holding up traffic for others is basic douch baggery/ignorance of traffic laws.
  3. Trying to save a few seconds by going in-between cars is a the best way to get into accident; avoid it or you'll earn a nice trip to the hospital, possibly earn a Darwin award.
  4. Changing lanes without even a hand gesture is simply asking for it, always signal.
  5. Cycling consists of a fragile meat & bone body with a bare tube and wheels, trying to play mid road among other 'heavy' fume make contraptions will get you killed easily. Don't be an idiot. Leave horse playing for your own closed off street/park.
  6. Being a cyclist != being a pedestrian. Don't act like a douche/snob when you get yelled at or flipped over due to your own improper cycling.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I drive a car and also ride a bicycle on the roads and have to say there are many idiotic cyclists but many more times as many idiotic drivers too. I always give cyclists room and respect the fact that I am in a bigger form of transport and could well kill them should something go wrong when I drive my car. Yes I see plenty go through red lights and hop on and off pavements, but I've also experienced the other side. I've had drivers try and push me off my bike because I have been going too slow but also fast for them to overtake so they feel they have more right to be on the road than me! Cars coming alongside and deliberately try and push me into the curb or hit me with wing mirrors etc.

I have to admit I have snapped the odd wing mirror off when an aggressive driver has tried to cause me harm. I've also had a guy get out of his car and try and fight me because I've stopped at traffic lights and he felt I should let him past. He punched me in the side of the head but ended up with a broken nose himself. Its really put me off city cycling and I rarely do it these days. I happily pollute the air with my car and sit in jams for the easy life :)

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont

/rant
wow, you should look into public transit.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
A problem at night are cyclists in the bike lanes without bike lights, wearing dark clothes at night. They are very hard to see when taking a turn.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Half the pro-cyclist people in here keep making mention of how it's fine if the cyclists are following the rules, completely oblivious to the fact this entire thread is based on the pretense of ******* cyclists who can't/don't/won't follow the rules, and how it's an epidemic here.

I also find it suspect how so many people in here who are cyclists claim to have been a victim of so many enraged people and gotten in fights if they were supposedly following the rules to a tee.

Last edited:

jeremysteele

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
As far as number of bad bikers/number of good bikers goes - I think the ratio is far worse than it is for automobile drivers.

Never once seen a bicyclist in this area stop at a stop sign (required by law), stop at a red light (required by law) or stop to let a pedestrian go across the cross walk (required by law).

They literally just keep going, no matter what. I've seen pedestrians and cars dodging them left and right like some sort of insane ballet. I even saw a guy going the wrong direction in the middle of the lanes.

Just down the road from me there's a section of road (near a bunch of red lights) with a ton of tire marks. It aint from people burning rubber - its because of all the crazy cyclists going across a main intersection even with a red light.

Sure there are bad drivers too - loads of them - but at least they generally stop at red lights and follow some of the rules of the road. In my book that alone makes them 10x better drivers.

-----

A few years back a local cyclist ran a red light, hit a pedestrian (at a crosswalk, with the walk signal going), and about 30 feet later was smacked by a car (driving legally).

After a quick investigation the cops said the biker was at fault (but nothing they could hold him on). He tried suing the pedestrian and driver claiming he had the right of way to "keep momentum going". The pedestrian who he hit (and nearly broke the jaw of) happened to be a local personal injury attorney - and you can guess how that ended (spoiler: the biker got destroyed in court).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.