I hate idiots on the 4th of July. Lives can't be given back

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by robotmonkey, Jul 5, 2010.

1. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Today, after the fireworks at my mall, some dumbass ran into a crowd of people. One lady died immediately as her small children cried helplessly and her body was not removed even after an hour. A small girl was pinned to a light pole and she had to be airlifted to a children's hospital. I don't know if she is still alive. That was the single worst and most horrifying thing I have ever had to watch, thankyou idiots of America for ruining the lives of so many people.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Thats a horrible accident, and accidents happen-- everywhere. But I think your anger towards the "idiots of America for ruining the lives of so many people," is a bit misplaced.

3. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

4. advres Guest

advres

If alcohol was involved I agree with your anger. If it was just a freak accident, (as terrible as it is) I think you are over reacting a little bit.

5. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I really dont think one's nationality has any correlation with one's ability to cause an accident. Canadian people get drunk and run over people, British folks do the same. I really dont see why you are blaming this on their citizenship; drunken idiots exist everywhere.

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

If he's referring to an accident in California, someone ran a red light and hit another car and that second car went into the crowd.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How do you feel about idiots on March 5th or November 13th?

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The first problem is you went to see fireworks at a mall. Don't they have better places to have a fireworks display.

9. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Clearly it is a sad event, but it can happen on any day and any place.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do not see that is a big deal. I know several cities that will launch near a mall because that gives them a large parking lot and a lot of the time there is a field near by they can use. My city used to launch near a strip mall that would get pack with cars. They moved it there from the high school because houses were build to close to were they would launch. They did that for a few years until a park was finish be built.

12. JLatte macrumors 6502

Emphasis mine. If you witnessed the accident, hopefully you've already called and given information, if not I would highly encourage you to do so.

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That's also bad, too. But read the first post again please. I think you missed the point of the first post or you are just very cold hearted.

I worked ER and saw that there are some days worse than others. Friday and Saturday night would have a lot of traffic with all types of accidents and assaults. Holidays, the 4th of July, New Years Eve, and Cinco de Mayo were worst days where I lived in a medium sized county of 300,000. I could only imagine how much more dangerous these nights could be in a big city or near a big city.

I don't think one's nationality plays a part in this, but more that big holidays, especially if they fall on weekends, tend to be more dangerous. It's pretty much common sense and these days I avoid driving around on the 4th at night or New Year's Eve.

I used to always go out those nights a lot before I worked for three years at the hospital. It's just basically playing the odds. Sure I went to beach parties and had a couple of beers. Luckily, all I saw were fender benders and small fights, but I never saw terrible things out in public on those nights. When I would hear naysayers talk about drunk drivers on holidays, I didn't listen much until I got the hospital job. Though alcohol is legal, it causes problems on the 4th, but also the increased amount of people just being out can make this holiday pretty dangerous.

14. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

If that is accurate, then the driver that hit those people is hardly a "dumbass" or "idiot." He/she is a victim as well; imagine what that person has to live with for the rest of their life. The real idiot is the one who ran the light.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They're just as bad but I'm guessing the OP is referring to the increased chance of injury associated with huge crowds of people wandering about the streets.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Based on that poster's history here, it's just another typical potshot at a post that tries to be sincere. I get tired of his/her utter cynicism on these threads. Far nicer people have been banned long ago from Macrumors. I have been here since 2000 (under jefhatfield before 63dot) and I have never blocked any poster but they come close.:mad:

They come close to being Alphatech from the old days, or good old Spikey from the first year here. Both of those two have been banned for basically being like Simon Cowell. :)

But in that poster's defense, maybe since this is about freedom of speech here, we should have a constantly angry and cynical poster. It's just that there are minors on this website. I may agree with that poster politically far more than InTheNet, but at least InTheNet was sincere in his/her viewpoints (very few of which I agreed with).

17. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I saw this on the news that night.

I bet that idiot who ran the red light was on their cell phone. Goddman, I hate that! If so, Personally, I wouldn't just call that an accident. I would call that reckless driving. :mad:

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So talking on a cell phone is reckless but looking down to change the radio or light a cigarette is fine?

19. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

CA hasn't yet made it illegal to change your radio or light a cig while driving. :p
    Not that it's not a distraction too.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't understand why not. It is taking your eyes off the road more than talking on a cell phone.

21. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

True. Well, unless you're texting. I still see fools doing that while driving once in a while. They get honked at and a flip off.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Clearly you're unfamiliar with the location, probably because the OP didn't bother to mention it at first, when it was mentioned it is clear still that you're unfamiliar with this place. (as you likely would be) Valencia is still desert and still banned from fireworks in many places. The event has nothing to do with it and mocking the accident is insensitive. Regardless, this could have happened anywhere, you know I'm right. For example, a close friend lost her sister alongside her sister's husband, and 3 of 4 children in a crash on the 14 freeway in Palmdale (desert and deserted). This happens just about anywhere, fireworks and malls aren't necessary.

McBean and Valencia are becoming more and more congested daily. During "low times" the amount of cars that pass that intersection is still quite high. It's a larger than normal intersection and people tend to run the light there because it's also a very long light at times. Again, the mall and the fireworks had little to do with it, it only adds drama to the story.

I feel badly for the family, no one should go out like this.

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I see a lot of people with their head way down glaring at a GPS or mapping screen in their cars while they run a stop sign. I don't know if this is more dangerous than texting or cell phones while driving but I suspect it is.

Also seeing people put makeup on while driving is just insane.

When cell phones first came out I saw many people using them while driving and the current consensus then wasn't that it was dangerous. But after many news reports of cell phones causing accidents and then laws being passed banning their use in cars, it hasn't seemed to stop a lot of people.

Hands free ear pieces work well and don't cost a lot.

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The point of banning cell phones is that you are concentrating on the conversation and not the road. Hands-free does not help in that regard. Making it illegal is a good thing, IMO. Shame about the tragedy.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I know exactly what you mean. But you can actually watch the road while talking on a cell. Yes, dialing or hitting "next" in iTunes take a glance but maybe not as much as texting

Here are some statistics:

link

In 2008, at any given moment, over 800,000 Americans were texting, making calls, or using a handheld cell phone while driving during the daytime. With distracted driving killing nearly 6,000 Americans in the same year, it's no mystery that cell phone use is risky for drivers.

The popularity of texting with teens and coming into driving age accidents are up and its become a issue. Most adults can talk on a cell or smoke or eat while driving. Texting, IMO, takes your eyes off the road for longer than the previous activities.

link