I hate Sprint.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jacoblee23, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I recently switched to Sprint from Verizon so my fiancée and I could be on the same plan and save money for our wedding. I got the iPhone 5s. The data speeds weren't as terrible as I had read where I live in my LTE Sprint area. Then I come home to visit my family. They live in an US Cellular LTE area.

I have always picked it up no problem whenever I had Verizon. With Sprint however I don't pick up either 3G or LTE. I've been on the phone with them many times and nothing fixes it, and they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about

Any suggestions?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Are the roaming options turned on in settings?

They are off on Sprint phones by default. Anytime I get a new phone, or restore one, I have to remember to go turn them on, again.

I've been using Sprint for years, both in and outside of the U.S. and never had this type of issue.

3. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah they are turned on. I have updated the prl and even reset network settings as well.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Hard reboot?

I did have one instance where they upgraded the towers here for LTE and I wasn't getting a signal, when they first went live, but a reboot fixed it.

And a restore is also a possibility.

Have they refreshed your signal on their end?

Sprint can be a lot of fun to deal with, because some of them are clueless. One day I called about something and the woman was repeatedly telling me to pull the battery on my iPhone! :confused:

But you may actually need to call and ask them to refresh on their end, since they likely won't think of such on their own…..sadly!

5. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have done several hard reboots and they have refreshed their signal twice. :(

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Then I'm wondering if it's something wrong with the phone itself.

7. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

What's most amusing here is that people are STILL choosing Sprint after all these years.

FACT: They have NO 3G, it's the equivalent of dialup.
    FACT: T-Mobile pokes fun @ AT&T for a congested network when in reality they should be laughing at Sprint! Check out the pings on Sprint's 3G and even LTE for that matter.
    FACT: Their LTE is about as fast as T-Mobile & AT&T's 3G/H+ on a bad day.
    FACT: Their iPhones (4,4S,5, & 5S) all will have the absolute worst resale value.
    FACT: Their LTE rollout is behind the other 3 carriers, even though T-Mobile began rolling it out earlier this year.
    FACT: Sprint is CDMA, and this isn't used around the world and isn't as common as GSM

8. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

What are you guys talking about? Sprint rocks!

To be fair though, I live in an area where no one gets service on any provider. I can drive four miles down the road to the nearest town (about 500 residents, yes 5 hundred) and get 15+ MB d/l on LTE lol.

I'm ok with that. No service means no one bugging me :D

Attached Files:

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

why pay that much for a phone when you can't even use it?

10. crazyskater52 macrumors newbie

I think Sprint really depends where you are. My fiance uses sprint in Miami and it has been sooooooooooooooooooooooooo slooooowww. We went to Tampa and Orlando not that long ago and LTE worked great! Since the 5s came out, it has also sped up a huge deal.

11. YoungHov718 macrumors member

12. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I've been with Sprint since '06 and have lived in populated/great service areas until just a few months ago, actually. If I had been living here at the time I would have gone with whoever had best service for my area.

There are still PLENTY of areas where my Sprint service is still great, though. I just happen to live in a part of the county where it's spotty at best, regardless of carrier. My dad's on AT&T and he has poor service, too.

I rarely make phone calls anyways and use Wifi at home so I'll probably stick with Sprint.

13. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

So I ported my number from Sprint to AT&T fri. I've been with Sprint since the late 90's.

So I call up Sprint to settle up on my final bill and cancel service and they have the nerve to try and charge me an ETF when I've been contract free for months... 2 hours of fighting on the phone the issue is finally resolved.

Sprint is not that much cheaper then my new AT&T plan and definitely not worth the poor service and hassle.

14. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Sprint is garbage is numerous ways. I'll NEVER do business with Sprint in ANYWAY ever again.

15. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

See below....

16. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Wrong. I've had the same experience as he did with Sprint. It's horrible, and so is their customer service.

17. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

This is no different that everyone getting heated about apple vs. samsung or samsung vs. microsoft...Whatever works best is what you should use.

They are doing something right as there are a lot of general business, public sector and enterprise customers that use them....it's not like they have 5k subscribers.....(I'm a Verizon customer, btw)

18. LoloBond macrumors 6502

Sprint sucks regardless where you located. I decided to pay a little bit more and go with At&t and a very happy camper.

19. mdcosta911 macrumors member

mdcosta911

Worst thing I ever did was switch to Sprint AKA garbage trash carrier.
    I am now awaiting the arrival of my iPhone 5s 64GB gold on T-mobile!! So excited to actually get service for the first time in a year!!!

20. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Go check out their customer service forums. Yes, I realize forums aren't a great indicator of a company's success, but go look anyway. Everybody is just as miserable as we were.

This is VERY different from apple vs samsung, as those two come down to personal preference. With Sprint, it comes down to actually not getting data service in several metropolitan areas while Sprint continues to say they have coverage because TECHNICALLY they do (just the very bare minimum.)

Telling me that there are content customers that exist says nothing about Sprint, other than the people who live considerably closer to Sprint's LTE towers actually get what they're paying for.

Sprint is cheap. That's what they're doing right. That's all they're doing right. Telling me "well some people like them!" doesn't make my experience with them a figment of my imagination.

21. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Switch carriers.

22. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I'm one of those trapped on sprint because I refuse to pay for a capped data plan. Unlimited or nothing. While my 3G (4S until I upgrade to the 5S soon) is slower than my friend's 3G, I'm not living in fear of some outrageous bill at the end of the month due to using Maps one too many times and going over the limit.

23. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Other carriers plans usually include 2 - 3 GB of data.

As long as you aren't constantly streaming (pandora, netflix, etc) then theres no way a normal customer would go over those above amounts.

24. mdcosta911 macrumors member

mdcosta911

I've never gotten more than 25 down and that was only because I was right under the tower. My average LTE speeds have been 12-16 down. I NEVER have 5 bars LTE. H$ll... I hardly ever have 5 bars of 3G!

25. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

My Sprint service is great here in the Seattle area, I've no problem with them, at all and don't experience slow speeds.

My son also has no complaints in the D.C. metro area.

It really depends where you are and one person's bad experience isn't indicative of what everyone experiences.