I hate the upgrade policy that phone carriers have in place!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drober30, Jun 2, 2010.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I just don't see me upgrading the first day that the iPhone is released if AT&T will not sell me the iPhone at the upgrade price. If they did, I would sign a new 2 year agreement which might be to their advantage if the iPhone is released on other carriers.

I think Verizon will get it but not till late Summer which will allow AT&T to have their last shot at early up-graders.

I have a 3Gs and will load the new 4.0 and probably be happy till my contract expires in June of next year, but again, then I may be looking at Verizon with it's additional 3G coverage.

What are your thoughts if you are not eligible for upgrade yet and already have a 3Gs which can run 4.0

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm the first to complain, but you have to consider that they need time to earn back the amount of your subsidy. If you don't spend enough money per month, they can't really consider giving you a new phone more often than every 20 months.

3. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

These complaints used to make sense when AT&T wouldn't sell you a phone for the unsubsidized prices. At that time you really were stuck with whatever AT&T let you do.

But now they do let you buy them. You're free to buy a new iPhone at the actual cost whenever you feel like it. What could be more fair?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats how all carriers always worked.
    They dont just let you get a new phone on subsidy whenever a newer model is released.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Fair would be a discounted rate plan when you buy unsubsidized. Buying full price w/o a discount on the rate plan is just a dumb move financially.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, fair would be not requiring the 2 year contract when you buy unsubsidized. THAT would make sense.

But a cheaper plan? Why should they? How is that fair? That'd just be a gift. There's no reason AT&T has to give me a present.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Wireless carriers are a business, not charity. Deal with it.

9. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess the point of my post was to say that now that iPhone is going to be released for the 4th time and my 3Gs will support the new OS, I'm not as worried about getting one. (I purchased the last three the day they were released)

If I could upgrade for $199 I definitely would, however, the only thing I'm really interested in is the better camera with flash. Having kids, it makes it very convenient to whip out your phone to take a picture but I would like them to be of better quality, especially in low light.

I get the whole AT&T has to make money, but I really don't think that's a concern right now. It's sure to be a concern if they don't find a way to retain their current customers because many will go to another carrier all things being equal.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's simple math. The way they pay for the subsidy is by collecting a monthly useage from you that covers the cost of maintaining the network, paying for your subsidy, plus whatever profit margin they see fit to make.

If you subtract the cost of the subsidy, then they can lower the rate they charge you and still keep their profit margin.

And yeah...no contract as well.

That's why they bump up a lot of upgrades for iPhone users every year. iPhone users historically have the highest ARPU.

11. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called this morning and of course the "customer service" agent I spoke to said there was no way to move my date up.

I have been with AT&T for five years. Three of them as an iPhone user, each year owning the new iPhone. They could move my date up and not lose money. In fact it would be a good business decision to retain a loyal customer who pays his bills on time for another two years!

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I hate the upgrade policy that car dealers have in place!

I paid off my car and now they won't subsidize 2/3 the cost of a new one. :(

13. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They did for me but I had to turn my old car in!

Willing to let them have my old phone too!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's because the car dealer can then turn around and sell that used car for a profit. The same cannot be said for used phones.

15. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

You can still get $150-200 (sometimes more if unlocked) for a 2G 8GB iPhone (Edge network only) on ebay. Not that AT&T wants to get in the business of ebaying items.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not saying there's no market for people to personally sell/buy used phones. Rather as business venture to trade in last years phone, clean it up, and sell it again. There's little profit to be made and the risk to provide a warranty and support it out weighs any revenue generated.

17. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

I dont know...sounds like you just have sour grapes to me. If youve been with AT&T for 5 years, you knew how the system worked before you bought the 3Gs. I on the other hand, I kept my 3G and am good to go for the upgrade. Either pony up and pay the unsubsidized price or you should have waited to upgrade.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

This thread is getting childish.
    Thats how the upgrade system works.
    They're not going to move up your device upgrade date no matter how many years you're with them or if you pay your bill on time.

19. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I don't have sour grapes, actually I'm pretty fond of AT&T and their service in my area. Verizon may have greater 3G coverage but I'm in my home market 99% of the time. I also like the "roll over" minutes that have accumulated.

I will try to ebay my phones and make enough that the cost of new phones will be just like getting the upgrade price.

20. tnisatard macrumors 6502

yeah you are just mad that you cant get the new iphone, no matter what carrier you are on, its gonna happen if you sign a 2 year contract, you cant bash att for that

21. elephunkman macrumors 65816

The upgrade policy helps the carrier recoup the money from the contracts of the customers. Pay less, upgrade date longer because you don't pay enough to recoup the money fast enough.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

There's nothing preventing you from upgrading, you just have to pay for it. As others have said, AT&T is a business, they're not trying to help you out.