I Hate To Say It, But I Still Miss My First-Gen Zune

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 19, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Since I've sold my first-gen Zune to get extra cash to be one of the first to get the iPhone, I still sort of miss having a Zune. I know a lot of Apple fanboys said and will keep saying that Zunes suck (and I am turning into an Apple fanboy, too ;)), but Microsoft was able to make up for all of the iPod's shortcomings in that one device. The Zune changed the way that I listened to music and I found around 30 albums that I still have now. I haven't really found any new artists that I like since then.

Why would I say that I miss my Zune? The iPhone and the iPod lineup are missing a major feature that will change the way you look at music: Subscription music. Sure, you can buy albums individually or pirate it, to try the music or otherwise, but it's still not the same. You probably aren't going to want to give new artists $10 just to try their album. You will be downloading a lot of music that you wouldn't if you didn't have a subscription. Plus, in my opinion at least, I still prefer the black interface by a really small amount on the Zune, but that's mostly because I almost always prefer black. In terms of control, the iPhone's multi-touch is better hands-down.

I really just miss having it because of subscription services. It changes the way you listen to music and after having it, you won't find as many artists as you used to and will practically keep with the same albums you have and the only new music you hear is new albums by the artists you already have.

2. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Maybe...post on a 'Microsoft Rumor' site, instead of its fiercest rival!?

You aint getting nothing here but heat.

3. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Yeah, I really hope Apple comes up with a subscription service.
    Even if it's 5x the amount of anyone else out there, I would still get it, and my library would most likely double or even tripple in size.

I'm awaiting that day.. until then....

But honestly, I can see Apple's logic in not wanting to do that right now.
    They are on top of their game right now. They don't need that feature to get people to buy music from iTunes because people just love and adore Apple.
    Don't blame them. :p

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Sad thing about loving a Zune is, you can rave about it, but nobody knows what a Zune is. What is a Zune?

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I hope you're kidding...

http://www.zune.net/en-US/

I'm talking about the Zune from around two years ago, but the new ones still have the major stuff that the iPod and the iPhone are missing.

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

iPod to Zune ratio is what, 100+ to 1?

7. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Except availability outside of North America. And Mac support.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If you really miss it, go back to it.

I mean I think Apple products are a great fit for many people, but not everyone is gonna fall in love with them

If you gave the iPhone a fair look, and the Zune fits your needs/wants better, why should you feel bad about going back to it?

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Besides the subscription service, what other major stuff does the Zune have that the iPod/iPhone doesn't?

What am I missing out on?

10. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I still am not convinced that subscription is a good idea. While it seems cheap, if you decide you want a different service (or just don't want to pay anymore) or a potentially a different music player (i.e., iPod to non-Apple player), you could lose all the music you've built up.

At least with Apple's current model, you own your music and can burn it to a CD if you want.

11. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

12. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I've barely used one, but from what I remember, it has radio.
    Also, it has something to where you can trade music or something wirelessly with other zune owners.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

I believe that the wireless sharing only allows you to listen to the shared music you pulled from another Zune a certain number of times and/or keep it for a few days before it expires.

The radio- big deal- who listens to the radio?

Those aren't so major. What are these major features he's talking about?

14. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Yup...Kind of like PC's to Mac's :rolleyes:

15. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I got my first iPhone in July of '07 and my iPhone 3G a day after it came out. The features in the iPhone 3G make up for not having a subscription service, but I haven't been listening to nearly as much music as I used to.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A Pontiac Aztec Gen 1 had a lot of features that owners rather liked ... that didn't make up for its other shortcomings.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I can similar argument about DRM on iTunes music....sure I burn and reimport it, but I lose quality, spend a bunch of time, and "waste" tons of CDs.

I like the iTunes set up, but when is iTunes Plus gonna become the standard iTunes?!!

18. cenetti macrumors 6502

Zune software works on Mac? No!
    So who cares.....

I haven't touched a PC in years.....

Let's see..... Does zune have Last fm application? or SHoutcast radio stations?
    You can discover tons of new stuff with them too....
    And guess what!! No subscription fee!
    Works beautifully with 3G...

Microsoft needs to PAY ME to make me use a zune....

19. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Hey, wouldn't it be cool if iPods had a sharing feature like that?

And for the radio...
    I for one, as an evacuee from hurricane Ike, could most CERTAINLY use a FM radio option in my iPod, as I'm sitting here with out power and no way to get the news.

Of course, today, my parents went out and spent 1300 on a PC laptop and a verizon Air card so we can stay in touch.

When I asked why they spent that much on a PC and not a Mac, they claimed that the cheapest Macs made are 3,000 dollars.
    Go figure.

20. Geniusdog254 macrumors regular

Well I agree with this guy. I don't miss my zune really as I still have it :D But I haven't abandoned it into my electronics graveyard. It has 5x the capacity of my 16GB iphone. I love my iphone and I use it as my phone, e-mail, internet, and mp3 device. But if i'm on a trip I use the zune because of:
    1. Better battery life.
    2. More space for a ton of movies (legally ripped of course)
    3. Better audio quality.
    4. FM Radio
    5. FM Radio Tagging

AND now with the 3.0 update the zune matches ALL the features of the normal iPods except mac support and outside North America, and the outside north america is coming.

21. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

iPhones, and all macs do... its called simplify, and its a free download...

i think it even works on PCs

22. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Hey, we're talking MP3 players here only. :p

23. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

100 to 1? Umm, no, not even close...but thanks for playing... :rolleyes:

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it sounds like you miss a subscription model of music downloads, not the zune per se. Very different issue.

25. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The first-gen Zune was a great device and it's only been getting better. I really liked the controls and the UI on the Zune, along with its' shuffle feature, which worked smarter than Apple's until Apple added Genius. I was also a fan of the Zune software, which just worked really smartly, along with a smartly designed marketplace.