I hate Westburo Baptist Church

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Jun 25, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

People should ignore them. They are below recognition. (I hate them too.)

3. djellison macrumors 68020

Those that claim to be the most Christian of people behave in the most Un-Christianlike way.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

They preach nothing but hate and intolerance...isn't that the opposite of the teachings of Christianity?

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is.

Jesus ate with the tax collectors and lepers of his day. Those were people people would try to advoid and they were shunned from socity completely. much like how gays, and lesbians are today.
    The point of that is God loves all people no matter what. Even if they are what said to be"unclean"

Personally I do not agree with that group and think they make all Christain look bad. A majority who do not hate gays or things like that.

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am surprised that such an obvious cult can exist and use the name of a mainline church (ie - Catholic, Presbyterian, Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, etc).

The rather big Church of Christ completely distanced themselves from famous cult leaders Jim Jones and Kip McKean who were rogue members who branched off into their own business, umm, I mean "church".

The Catholic Church distanced themselves from an ultra-right wing faction of Opus Dei.

Martin Luther distanced himself from what was then a very politicized Vatican.

If I were any sort of genuine Baptist leader (Southern Baptist, American Baptist, Conservative Baptist, etc.) I would make Phelps cease and desist and not use the name Baptist. Just like the name Apple could be very contentious in the world of music vs. online music, Phelps should not be allowed to use the term Baptist.

Phelps gives Baptists, and thus Christians a very bad name. Phelps no more represents the Baptists than Bin Laden represents Islam.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If only more people (especially Baptists) would recognize that. Very well put, 63dot.

Ah, that's that church of disgusting freaks that has a hatred for English cigarettes.

They have nothing to do with any Christians though, as they are affiliated with no other groups and there's less than 100 of the nutjobs. Does anybody ever see anybody on forums sticking up for them? They are hated by virtually everybody.

That is a far cry compared to the extremists from certain other religions, where you regularly see many people sticking up for the extremists.

Phelps no more represents the Baptists than Bin Laden represents Islam

Now that's not entirely true. Phelps has the support of virtually nobody. Bin Laden has the support of millions and millions of Muslims. When you find millions and millions of Christians sticking up for and defending scum like Phelps, then you might have a point.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The only thing that I will see people stick up for them is the right to free speech which legally speaking they have the right to do what they are doing. Beyond that point I never see people really agreeing with their extermist views.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have always felt that the Muslim community, particularly in the West, does no favors to itself by not distancing itself vocally from the extremists. I, personally, feel that those who truly support such extremists are also small in number in comparison to the majority of Muslims.

11. djellison macrumors 68020

Actuall - given the results of the Prop 8 vote, I'd question the use of the word 'Majority'.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

there is a difference between hate and not supporting Gay marriage. 2 very different things. if this group had its way gays would be burnt at the stake

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Bin Laden with millions who support him? Are you kidding?

I have a friend from Jordan who just got back from a modern Beirut and they represent the more moderate stance of most of the world of Islam. When Americans think of Beirut, they think of a bombed out, lawless land of misery. How dated we are if we think that it's that way today.

Do a little research on modern day Iran vs. what CNN or Fox says about the minority who are the extremists. Do you think the "average" Iranian hates America?

What you may find may really surprise you.

14. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I would go as far and say the average human being doesn't hate any race or group of people in particular.

15. djellison macrumors 68020

They're just two ends of the same corrupt morality.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

They have a martyr complex going on. They love to be hated. Nothing like telling everyone they are going to hell while the devil pats you on the back for the good job you are doing.

17. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I'm Christian, and these people are hypocrites. You're supposed to be tolerant and love each other like you would yourself.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time. - Sun Tzu

I've been following the enemy since 2001. This same issue about Bin Laden and his supporters came up recently in another thread. I pointed out that when you look at many of the polls from Islamic countries about Bin Laden and either support or admiration for him, then the figure that you come up with is not exactly small.

I don't believe people who constantly claim that the figure is tiny or the people who constantly mention something about some supposed small minority, without giving any facts to back up such ludicrous claims.

According to this recent poll from Sept 2009, it mentions that 18% of Muslims in Pakistan have support for Bin Laden. That comes out to approximately 32 million supporters for Bin Laden and that's just in one single country. When you start adding up the figures from many more of those countries, then you can easily see how I can claim that there are millions and millions.

This poll even says that overall support for Bin Laden is declining in Muslim countries, but the figures are still pretty high and totally outrageous, if you ask me.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1338/declining-muslim-support-for-bin-laden-suicide-bombing

19. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Well said.

Irrespective of what these people claim to preach/follow they are a very scary group. I've seen a few news reports and documentaries about them and they leave me speechless :eek:

20. Queso macrumors G4

A significant portion of Americans still believe their country and government can do no wrong overseas, despite the pictures of napalmed children from Vietnam or the body parts of women strewn around Fallujah.

Singling out those that support Bin Laden for criticism whilst ignoring those in the West who justify our own atrocities is incredibly partisan.

Of course it is partisan, as it should be. We are at war and I couldn't care less about what any Americans might think about napalm or what they might not think about napalm.

What is of greater concern is the enemy and who they are, where they are, and how many of them there is and how they will be defeated.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Vietnamese/Iraqi civillians were never the enemy...

I never mentioned anything about Vietnamese/Iraqi civilians being the enemy.

The specific enemy that I am talking about is Bin Laden and all of his fans.

24. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Westburo Baptist Church is disliked by BOTH the political Right and Left here in the USA. Most evangelicals I know of wouldn't associate with this church because they thihk Westburo is a "publicity hog."

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

A more fitting aphorism might be "you reap what you sow",the arming,training and financing of Bin Laden by the U.S. doesn't seem such a bright idea in retrospect does it?
    If you start taking polls with anything other than a sack of salt I'm much afraid insanity will be the result.