I hate you so much right now!!

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
/rant

Yes I hate you APPLE and YES I HATE YOU IPHONE 4S and OH GOD HOW I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW ITUNES!!!!!

GRRRRRR!!! AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

OK I feel much better (not):(

Having the the cant hear the other side on a call issue I decided to restore my iPhone 4S.

Well time came to restore from back up and I get a back up corrupted message :eek:

All my photos gone, all my contacts gone...damn you iTunes , damn you to hell.

I wouldn't care but most of the photos where of my 12 month old boy :(

I managed to sync contacts from an older back up but I had recently gone through them and updated them :mad:

Luckily I had saved all the photos from the camera roll onto my HHD when I upgraded from the iPhone 4 but have taken a lot since then and videos of his 1st birthday:(

The last backup besides today was from a month ago but I had backed up my phone only the other day and it wasn't there:mad:.

/end rant

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
/rant

Yes I hate you APPLE and YES I HATE YOU IPHONE 4S and OH GOD HOW I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW ITUNES!!!!!

Having the the cant hear the other side on a call issue I decided to restore my iPhone 4S.

Well time came to restore from back up and I get a back up corrupted message :eek:

I managed to sync contacts from an older back up but I had recently gone through them and updated them :mad:

Luckily I had saved all the photos from the camera roll onto my HHD when I upgraded from the iPhone 4 but have taken a lot since then and videos of his 1st birthday:(

The last backup besides today was from a month ago but I had backed up my phone only the other day and it wasn't there:mad:.

/end rant
Time Machine?

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Have you had a sudden power off recently or a hard drive turning off suddenly? Or something similar?

I'm guessing the corruption is because the hard drive got turned off(if computer suddenly dies for example) before it could write down all the data.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You should really have iCloud backup set up. My iPhone backs up to iCloud automatically every night when I plug it in to charge it.

Sucks dude.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
that does suck. Import your photos to iPhoto from now on.
Time Machine?
Don't have a Mac.

Have you had a sudden power off recently or a hard drive turning off suddenly? Or something similar?

I'm guessing the corruption is because the hard drive got turned off(if computer suddenly dies for example) before it could write down all the data.
No, nothing like that. There is the thing of chckdsk coming up a few times nw when I start up my computer.

You should really have iCloud backup set up. My iPhone backs up to iCloud automatically every night when I plug it in to charge it.

Sucks dude.
I turned it off a while back due to battery issues.

Angryipadguy

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I hate iTunes with a passion. It done the same to me with my iPad over a year ago. It's a nasty bit of bloatware and I will be happy to see the back of it.

athens

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Sucks

What I Always recommend to my users is these steps

Pre iCloud

Google Contacts, Gmail, Google Calendar with Push technology to keep that data safe.

Download photos from the phone daily and store a copy on the computer and a copy on a paid Flickr account, private or public.

With iCloud

iCloud for Contacts, Mail and Calendar

I still recommend downloading photos from the phone daily and to store a copy on the computer and a copy on Flickr.

Photo Stream is nice for updating your computers but it only offers a off site backup for 30 days.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
/rant

/end rant
You don't have photo stream for the photos????Or iCloud for the contacts????

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Everyone in their lifetime being a digital consumer will suffer the dreaded irreplaceable data loss. Tough life lesson that needs to be experienced. You will never look at redundant backups the same way again.

btw: don't delete the corrupted backup files yet. it might be recoverable in the future if you find a method to decode part of it.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Don't have a Mac.

No, nothing like that. There is the thing of chckdsk coming up a few times nw when I start up my computer.

I turned it off a while back due to battery issues.

The iCloud backup won't work on battery power unless you manually do it. Since iCloud backup works when connected to a power source and on wifi, your logic for turning that feature off doesn't make sense. This is clearly a user error.

djuzi05

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2011
Sucks

Photo Stream is nice for updating your computers but it only offers a off site backup for 30 days.
Well iPhoto does download every picture from your photostream and conveniently places it a separate album every month, so really it's the only back you need for photos.

iCloud constantly backs up the two most important things on my iPhone, pictures and contacts. Never have to worry about losing either of those :apple:

bubulindo

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Neither here, nor there...
There is the thing of chckdsk coming up a few times nw when I start up my computer.
With this, you lost any simpathy I may have had for your situation.

So there is a checkdisk coming up every now and then... a file in your hard drive gets corrupted and it's Apples fault? When you don't even own a Mac?

I think you need to find the right door to knock on.

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
With this, you lost any simpathy I may have had for your situation.

So there is a checkdisk coming up every now and then... a file in your hard drive gets corrupted and it's Apples fault? When you don't even own a Mac?

I think you need to find the right door to knock on.
I agree with this. Few points below:

1. iCloud doesn't do anything on battery power so won't save battery for you but will synch your data whenever its plugged in and on wifi - which would be every night for the majority of people.

2. Your PC is showing hard disk corruption and you ignored it. If it was the cause of the backup corruption it could have been a lot worse. Could have corrupted a file in the windows or system32 directory and might not have even been able to boot your PC.

3. You did a restore on your phone but didn't manually move any pictures/videos over to another safe place. If something is that important to me I have a backup of my backup.

----------------

You will learn from now on though, only need to lose data once to realise how important a good backup solution is. Having had this myself I have a copy of all my important data stored on a NAS and a time machine copy of my data on an external hard drive.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I def feel for you cause pictures are priceless irreplaceable memories however it bedazzles me every time someone buys a smartphone which gives you full multiple options to backup your data and people either have no clue of it or due to dumb reasons like battery, choose not to use it. Always ask yourself this, if my phone got lost/stolen/computer crashed, would I need the stuff on it? if your answer is yes, use the cloud :)

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
Been there, done that. Solution ?

1) Sync to iCloud, pictures get backed up to camera roll automatically this way when you connected to wi-fi, and when your plugged in your documents and everything else get backed up.

2) In addition to iCloud, import photos into iPhoto, aperture, or some other photo mgmt software.

3) Use time machine.

4) think about having a backup of the data on your phone (and anything else you think is important), stored off-site.

After suffering through one too many unrecoverable data losses I do the above...and will soon have a HD with important things stored in a safety deposit box.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
There are backup "explorers" out there that let you browse your backup. You can try that to get your photos back. The backup doesn't consist of one single file, so it might be possible to retrieve your photos after all. It may be only partially corrupted.

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
iTunes for Windows is part of Apple's secret plan to convert everyone to Mac OS. They hook you in with the iPod and then lay the most evil piece of Windows software on you since ActiveSync. That thing should be reclassified as a virus....

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I went to mail a letter and lost it on the way to the post office, so I killed the first mailman I saw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.