I hate you so much right now!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsmemuffins, Nov 24, 2011.

1. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

/rant

Yes I hate you APPLE and YES I HATE YOU IPHONE 4S and OH GOD HOW I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW ITUNES!!!!!

GRRRRRR!!! AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

OK I feel much better (not):(

Having the the cant hear the other side on a call issue I decided to restore my iPhone 4S.

Well time came to restore from back up and I get a back up corrupted message :eek:

All my photos gone, all my contacts gone...damn you iTunes , damn you to hell.

I wouldn't care but most of the photos where of my 12 month old boy :(

I managed to sync contacts from an older back up but I had recently gone through them and updated them :mad:

Luckily I had saved all the photos from the camera roll onto my HHD when I upgraded from the iPhone 4 but have taken a lot since then and videos of his 1st birthday:(

The last backup besides today was from a month ago but I had backed up my phone only the other day and it wasn't there:mad:.

/end rant

2. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

that does suck. Import your photos to iPhoto from now on.

3. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Time Machine?

4. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Have you had a sudden power off recently or a hard drive turning off suddenly? Or something similar?

I'm guessing the corruption is because the hard drive got turned off(if computer suddenly dies for example) before it could write down all the data.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

You should really have iCloud backup set up. My iPhone backs up to iCloud automatically every night when I plug it in to charge it.

Sucks dude.

6. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Don't have a Mac.

No, nothing like that. There is the thing of chckdsk coming up a few times nw when I start up my computer.

I turned it off a while back due to battery issues.

7. Millionin20s macrumors regular

8. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

I hate iTunes with a passion. It done the same to me with my iPad over a year ago. It's a nasty bit of bloatware and I will be happy to see the back of it.

9. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Mistake #1.

10. athens macrumors member

athens

Sucks

What I Always recommend to my users is these steps

Pre iCloud

Google Contacts, Gmail, Google Calendar with Push technology to keep that data safe.

Download photos from the phone daily and store a copy on the computer and a copy on a paid Flickr account, private or public.

With iCloud

iCloud for Contacts, Mail and Calendar

I still recommend downloading photos from the phone daily and to store a copy on the computer and a copy on Flickr.

Photo Stream is nice for updating your computers but it only offers a off site backup for 30 days.

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You don't have photo stream for the photos????Or iCloud for the contacts????

12. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I can't understand why people get upset at losing photos AFTER they restore. That's user error. That didn't cross your mind before you restored??

13. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Everyone in their lifetime being a digital consumer will suffer the dreaded irreplaceable data loss. Tough life lesson that needs to be experienced. You will never look at redundant backups the same way again.

btw: don't delete the corrupted backup files yet. it might be recoverable in the future if you find a method to decode part of it.

14. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

The iCloud backup won't work on battery power unless you manually do it. Since iCloud backup works when connected to a power source and on wifi, your logic for turning that feature off doesn't make sense. This is clearly a user error.

15. djuzi05 macrumors regular

Well iPhoto does download every picture from your photostream and conveniently places it a separate album every month, so really it's the only back you need for photos.

iCloud constantly backs up the two most important things on my iPhone, pictures and contacts. Never have to worry about losing either of those :apple:

16. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

With this, you lost any simpathy I may have had for your situation.

So there is a checkdisk coming up every now and then... a file in your hard drive gets corrupted and it's Apples fault? When you don't even own a Mac?

I think you need to find the right door to knock on.

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

18. PaulyD macrumors 6502

I agree with this. Few points below:

1. iCloud doesn't do anything on battery power so won't save battery for you but will synch your data whenever its plugged in and on wifi - which would be every night for the majority of people.

2. Your PC is showing hard disk corruption and you ignored it. If it was the cause of the backup corruption it could have been a lot worse. Could have corrupted a file in the windows or system32 directory and might not have even been able to boot your PC.

3. You did a restore on your phone but didn't manually move any pictures/videos over to another safe place. If something is that important to me I have a backup of my backup.

----------------

You will learn from now on though, only need to lose data once to realise how important a good backup solution is. Having had this myself I have a copy of all my important data stored on a NAS and a time machine copy of my data on an external hard drive.

19. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I def feel for you cause pictures are priceless irreplaceable memories however it bedazzles me every time someone buys a smartphone which gives you full multiple options to backup your data and people either have no clue of it or due to dumb reasons like battery, choose not to use it. Always ask yourself this, if my phone got lost/stolen/computer crashed, would I need the stuff on it? if your answer is yes, use the cloud :)

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Mistake #1? Relying on iCloud :)
    Mistake #2? Forced to use iTunes, especially on a PC.

Both iTunes & Safari for Windows, Suck Bad.
    On a Mac? Not so much.

Moral of the story in one word? BACKUP

21. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Been there, done that. Solution ?

1) Sync to iCloud, pictures get backed up to camera roll automatically this way when you connected to wi-fi, and when your plugged in your documents and everything else get backed up.

2) In addition to iCloud, import photos into iPhoto, aperture, or some other photo mgmt software.

3) Use time machine.

4) think about having a backup of the data on your phone (and anything else you think is important), stored off-site.

After suffering through one too many unrecoverable data losses I do the above...and will soon have a HD with important things stored in a safety deposit box.

22. Merkie macrumors 68020

There are backup "explorers" out there that let you browse your backup. You can try that to get your photos back. The backup doesn't consist of one single file, so it might be possible to retrieve your photos after all. It may be only partially corrupted.

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

iTunes for Windows is part of Apple's secret plan to convert everyone to Mac OS. They hook you in with the iPod and then lay the most evil piece of Windows software on you since ActiveSync. That thing should be reclassified as a virus....

24. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I went to mail a letter and lost it on the way to the post office, so I killed the first mailman I saw.