I have 2 Ext Hard Drives. I'd like to put them in one enclosure. Suggestions?

Nutdotnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
I have two 2TB Go Flex Desk FW800 Hard Drives. I'd really like to put them in a single enclosure. I don't need RAID - so using them individually or as a BoD would be ideal (they hold my movies).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Search on JBOD (just a bunch of drives) and when you find stuff see if the enclosure will work in non-spanning mode (in other words, each disk is discrete and not seen as one large virtual drive). Macsales might have some, and they have great tech support, or newegg.

FireWire2

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
What about daisy chain them together?!

Some of the manufacture CAN NOT do JBOD (Just a Bunch of Drive), so they grease the term 'JBOD" as BIG/SPAN/Concatenation.

So make sure JBOD means TWO individual drives

Nutdotnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
What about daisy chain them together?!

Some of the manufacture CAN NOT do JBOD (Just a Bunch of Drive), so they grease the term 'JBOD" as BIG/SPAN/Concatenation.

So make sure JBOD means TWO individual drives
I'm unfortunately, experiencing issues with daisy chaining the two drives - which I guess isn't uncommon (Seagate GoFlex Desk FW for Mac). So, I'm hoping to find an enclosure where I can take these out of their respective enclosures and put the bare drives into the new one.

FireWire2

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
I had similar problem of daisy chain the FW800 together...
my solution to it is better FW800 cable..

There are TWO type FW cable outthere
The one work for me (daisy chain) is you can see the metal shield at the end of the cable, where W/O metal shield cable does not work right.

Maybe you should try such cable