I have 4.6 GB left on my 32GB iPad...should I get 64GB model?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JEM6, Mar 8, 2012.

1. JEM6 macrumors newbie

JEM6

I currently have a 32 GB iPad 2, and am selling it to buy the new iPad. The dilemma I'm in is that I only have about 5 GB of storage space left. Because of this, I'm thinking of getting the 64GB model. However I'm not sure if I should really put out $100 more just for more storage space.
    I have 8 GB of music, the rest is pretty much apps.

Some things I'm unsure of is if app sizes will increase due to retina updates, and whether the iPad OS itself will also take up more room due to retina enhanced visuals. I'm curious as to how much these retina visuals will have. $100 is a big difference in price, and I'm not sure if it's something I would really need.

Any thoughts or opinions? Any advice or experience would be most appreciated.

2. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

3. pdawg macrumors regular

Get the 64 G. You are too close to maxing out on the 32 G.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Or you can start being more aggressive in what you keep and what you delete, you can start using iCloud and stream stuff. Because 64GB is really too much... :rolleyes:

I'm just being sarcastic.

5. sekazi macrumors 6502

iCloud cost money. Bigger iPad is a 1 time fee.

EDIT:
    you got me

6. chukronos macrumors 6502

Would iCloud work for you? That is what I am planning on using. I could get 4 years of iCloud for $100.

7. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

It may cost money, but It make a huge difference on your usage. For me, my huge music collection was not fitting on my 16GB iPhone, with icloud, it is like I have it alway with me. The need for disk space vanished, I have all the song I need... in the cloud :rolleyes:

IMHO, it is a very worthwhile 25$/year compared to the 100$ you migh shell out to get the 64 GB...

8. sekazi macrumors 6502

But then the question comes up of what to do when you have no internet connection. Not even WiFi. I have been in those situations before.

For me I have my music collection ripped from CDs in Lossless and use a dock line out to a amp to listen to music from my 64GB iPod touch.

9. JEM6 thread starter macrumors newbie

JEM6

That's true... but I kind of like to have my entire music library on there in case I need it. But if iCloud supported streaming, then it would be a different story. Having the music in the cloud to download is convenient, but at the same time I could just select what songs I want to sync from my computer.

10. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Go for the 64GB.
    As mentioned earlier, the size of apps will increase for Retina.

For example, iMovie app was 69MB compressed, ~80MB uncompressed.
    The new version that just came out is 404MB compressed!

I don't know what the uncompressed size is since I haven't installed it yet.

11. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

I had this dillemma with my iPad when I first got it. I thought for sure 16gb would be plenty, and now it is. I am close to maxing it out, but I just had to force myself to delete some apps I never use. Did I really need a qr scanner for my iPad? Stuff like that is what I deleted. I also have a 32gb iPod touch 4g that I use for my entire music collection, and I only put the things I always listen to on my iPad. To be honest though, I never listen to music from my iPad. Sometimes if I forget my iPod when I'm getting ready to go to school in the morning and I'm already in my truck I just pull out my iPad because I do bring it to school everyday. Other then that, I never use it for music.

12. JEM6 thread starter macrumors newbie

JEM6

Wow... But is a majority of that because of retina? I don't know if they've updated iMovie with more presets or anything like that.

13. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Then iCloud is out of the picture for you. I do have a few lousless album loaded up in a separate app that is use with Fiio E17. However, my main collection in AAC, all available from iCloud. But honestly, even with a 64GB, going all lousless is not a question without 128GB or even 256GB offered...:rolleyes: