iPad I have a 2013 13" MacBook Air... should I get an iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sflomenb, Nov 15, 2013.

1. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Hi. I'm a Computer Science major, so an iPad would be less useful for me than other people... but I am considering getting an iPad Air. I already have an iPhone 5s and a MacBook Air. But the iPad seems like it would be in between. I can possibly only bring it (instead of my MacBook Air) and it would be easier to get work done (and do fun things) than on my phone. What do you guys think? Would it be worth it? I know that I am the one that has to make the final decision, but I want to hear what other people think

2. roop27 macrumors member

i'd say get a mini. i was in the same predicament and thought that at any point i want to take an air out of the house i'd need a bag. and if im taking a bag i'd rather take a full OSX version than iOS. Mini is great if taking a small man bag or if you have these giant jacket pockets i've been hearing about on the forums.

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I take Computer Science classes and I have a 13" Macbook Air and an iPad Air. A rMini would work as well (AVOID LOOKING AT AN AIR IF YOU GO WITH A MINI).

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

No.

If you have to ask in a forum full of anonymous people then you probably don't need it. It sounds like you just have Apple new product fever.

5. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Get it if you have the money. Otherwise, doesn't sound like you need it at all.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

FWIW you can use the iPad as a second Wifi-connected monitor so it will help when programming. The refresh rate isn't great but I've found it fine for coding.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes you should. They go together quite nicely.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If he buys a Mini why would he be staring at an Air?

9. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Based on my past use of iPads since the 1st gen, I think a mini is a great compliment to a laptop. I would get an Air if I though it could replace my laptop. YMMV

10. dhokes macrumors regular

It terms of ease of getting work done, surely it would be:
    MacBook Air > iPad > iPhone

The main question you should ask yourself is what would it be primarily used for? Coding - MacBook. Reading - Air/rMini (depending on screen/portability preference)...

I recently purchased a second hand iPad 4 and also the new rMini, and I'm swaying towards keeping the former as I prefer the larger screen compared to the rMini, whilst it's still portable.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use a combo of MBA, iPad, and iPhone. It is a lightweight package that allows me to do in comfort whatever it is I'm doing. FYI, I find iPad great for reading, quite a bit more so than my MBA or iPhone.

12. double329 macrumors 6502

I don't think it's really matter what the forums said at this point. You know, you want it. Just go get it.

13. kap09 macrumors 6502

I did. No regrets other than the fact I find myself using the ipad more than my MBA now, haha.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Id go air if you can stand the weight difference.

15. mariotr87 macrumors regular

I think the MBA is kind of too close to the iPad portability wise, you might as well just take your laptop with you.

The iPad Mini would work better in your case. At least that's what I'm going to do (I have an iPhone 5 and a MBA 13'' (mid 2011).